French Fridays with Dorie: Tourteau de chèvre

I approached this week’s French Fridays with Dorie with a little bit of trepidation.  A Tourteau de Chèvre is basically a baked cheesecake, made with goat’s cheese. No, it wasn’t the goat’s cheese part that worried me, it was the “baked cheesecake” part.  Oh, I’ve made them before – but as you can see in this post and this one, I was not successful in producing a cheesecake that didn’t crack when baked.  So I was worried. Until I looked at Dorie’s picture and saw that this one is supposed to be cracked and kind of ugly on the top… A perfect baked cheesecake recipe for me then!

Then there was the dough.  Even though I had close supervision, I still was not able to produce a dough that was able to be rolled out :(

(I swear, I turned my back for one second to grab my camera and she was up there checking it out. Well, I guess she could smell the butter…)

So I resorted to the “press-in” method which I didn’t think would matter so much for a “rustic” dessert like this one…

And just like Dorie says it will, the cake cracked when it baked.  It also didn’t get quite black/ brown enough as a true torteau that you would find in France would – our ovens don’t get hot enough for that – but I was still pretty happy with the outcome…

Just to prove that mine is not uglier than it should be, I did a quick comparison…

Look Ma – just like Dorie’s!

And the taste?

I served this for Easter dinner dessert. And then again a number of times the week following that. And finally for breakfast as Neil and I watched the Royal Wedding (cake for breakfast seemed fitting!).

It is super light and not too sweet (one of our friends declared it “a little goat-y” for her tastes but I don’t think you can taste the goat that much).  We ate it plain though Dorie suggests drizzling it with a little honey – I didn’t think it needed it.

I will definitely be making this one again – such an easy recipe, an impressive result and a dish that lends itself to rusticity? Ça, c’est pour moi!

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

Go on, treat yourself – join us in 2011!  There are some GREAT recipes coming up!

Congrats to The Kitchenarian who won my Restaurantware.com giveaway!

I will be in touch to get your details today!

91 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Tourteau de chèvre

1. The Mistress of Spices May 6, 2011 at 06:00 #

I swear….your French Friday posts are totally tempting me to buy Dorie’s book. I think that it’s time!

• Mr. Neil May 6, 2011 at 07:49 #

After ALL these posts you’re still only tempted? Geesh, put yourself out of your misery and buy it already! ;-)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 15, 2011 at 09:52 #

You would love this book – go on!

2. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen May 6, 2011 at 06:04 #

Your tourteau looks better than Dorie’s, I could barely see the cracks. And Mardi, I would gladly trade in my cheesecake baking skills for your macaron ones right now! I’m still frustrated by my imperfect ones… but hopefully someday soon they’ll turn out lime yours ;-).

3. Liz May 6, 2011 at 06:15 #

Perfection, Mardi! And I love that the curious cat made a guest appearance…my hungry lab did, too :)

4. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen May 6, 2011 at 07:14 #

Looks beautiful Mardi. I like your pastry making supervisor, is she always so observant?

5. natalia May 6, 2011 at 07:16 #

Ciao ! Your tourteau isn’t ugly at all I think it’s actually great looking !

6. Yuri May 6, 2011 at 07:52 #

It looks perfect, Mardi! Just like the one in the book. I am making it now, can’t wait to taste it :D

7. Cher May 6, 2011 at 07:54 #

I love it when the food isn’t supposed to be pretty – way less stress involved in the final outcome.
    I am sure this would have been perfect alongside a cuppa for an early morning wedding watch!

8. Mr. Neil May 6, 2011 at 07:55 #

This was delightful.

For all you Americans, don’t think “cheesecake” like you probably know it. With just a hint of sweet, this is really much more enjoyable as a nice savoury dish. (And yes – I DO love my sweets!)

Wine pairings? Well, as this is extremely flexible, “when” it is being served in a meal may be the more deciding factor for me.

With a cafe au lait for the Royal Wedding at 5.30 worked well. So did with an off-dry Riesling after dinner (though not my first choice). A fino Sherry as a wee snack. Or with Pimm’s No.1 Cup was divine.

9. Belinda @zomppa May 6, 2011 at 07:59 #

She looks like she wants to just JUMP at this – which I really can’t blame her.

10. Mary May 6, 2011 at 08:09 #

I love the picture with the cat overseeing the proceedings. You can’t tell your’s from Dorie’s tart…nice work.

11. Happy When Not Hungry May 6, 2011 at 08:27 #

Wow this tart looks amazing! Nice job!

12. Conor @ Hold the Beef May 6, 2011 at 08:29 #

I love the idea of this! I also am quite partial to a bit of goatiness, so I guess this outcome is predictable. Also.. dare I say.. I think yours looks better than the picture in the book!

I’ll never tire of Cleo photos. I wonder if Dorie might try and recruit her as a food model in the next book.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 15, 2011 at 09:49 #

I love the idea of that. Cleo isn’t the best model though she could possibly be persuaded to post for morsels of cheesecake. :-)

13. FrenchtwistDC May 6, 2011 at 08:30 #

Your cat looks like my cat!! I should get back on the French Fridays. Would have LOVED to do (and eat) this dish.

14. Brian @ A Thought For Food May 6, 2011 at 08:34 #

There is nothing ugly about that… no mam!

15. K May 6, 2011 at 08:52 #

Kitty definitely looks interested! Smart cat :)

The cake looks wonderful!

16. Yours is better than the one in the picture!! Congrats!

17. stephirey May 6, 2011 at 11:30 #

Mardi, the tourteau looks absolutely beautiful! I didn’t think it tasted goaty at all. Both my guys loved it (Ethan said it was a bit like angel food cake). I too had a little help from a feline friend (or so I thought when I saw a nibble taken out of my cake…Ethan later confessed it was him!)

18. Paula May 6, 2011 at 11:31 #

*Ma* would definitely be proud :)

19. Kate@Diethood May 6, 2011 at 11:51 #

Mardi, your torteau is gorgeous! I love the color!

20. merry jennifer May 6, 2011 at 12:23 #

It look pretty darn gorgeous to me. Sounds like it was a wonderful dessert…and breakfast!

21. saltyseattle May 6, 2011 at 12:25 #

you do Dorie better than Dorie.

22. Mushrooms Canada May 6, 2011 at 12:39 #

Cheesecake for breakfast! Yes please :)
    - Brittany

23. Ally Lynn May 6, 2011 at 12:52 #

This looks so tasty!

I can relate to having trouble with cheesecakes, I’ve also written about my failures :-(

And I have curious cats too :-D

24. Dessert by Candy May 6, 2011 at 13:06 #

That cat picture totally reminded me of cooking at a friend’s house and the cat wouldn’t leave me alone!! Your cake looked good, pressed-in crust or not.

25. Beth (OMG! Yummy) May 6, 2011 at 13:26 #

This looks great – your cat has outstanding taste. I’ve missed the last few weeks of FFwD and am missing it! Might just have to have a late entry for this one. I think I might like to eat this for Mother’s Day. Goat cheese is great for us because the lactose levels are low plus seems like the texture would be superb for cheesecake! Glad you enjoyed it so many ways!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 15, 2011 at 09:45 #

Yes I was pleased this worked out because I have a friend who has lactose issues and this will be perfect to make for her!

26. K A B L O O E Y May 6, 2011 at 15:19 #

Wow, does that look good! Smart kitty…

27. Betsy May 6, 2011 at 15:40 #

I also had trouble rolling out this dough. I ended up pressing the pieces into the pan. I think of you as the perfect cook, so now I don’t feel so bad about my crust.
    Your end result looks perfect! The cat thinks so too.

28. penny aka jeroxie May 6, 2011 at 17:18 #

I had the chance to eat this cake… LOVE it!

29. Tricia S. May 6, 2011 at 19:47 #

I was chuckling as I saw your cat photo—my Westie was following me around the kitchen when I searched for good lighting to take a picture…I kept one eye on her and one on the Tourteau :) Nana would have been so disappointed after we made it together if my dog ate it. The dish was a very lovely addition to our French Friday success stories. And yours looks absolutely spectacular- well done !

30. kitchenarian May 6, 2011 at 20:25 #

Your cake looks amazing. I just loved this recipe. A cheesecake that is supposed have cracks is my kind of cheesecake!

I am so excited to win your drawing. Thanks so much!

31. leaf (the indolent cook) May 6, 2011 at 22:05 #

I love cheesecake. And one that’s meant to look a bit ugly, so there’s no pressure? Bring it on! ;)

32. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 6, 2011 at 22:42 #

Yum… Another “win” from Dorie! Though, I shouldn’t be surprised. :)

I have to say that I love the rustic look… I think it’s just stunning and seems more comforting and inviting that way.

33. Sara @CaffeIna May 6, 2011 at 23:31 #

Goat cheese cheesecake? Am I in heaven?

34. katescakesandbakes May 7, 2011 at 04:43 #

This cheesecake looks absolutely delicious, I think I may find myself giving it a go.

I love the picture of your cat staring at it, I wonder if she was thinking ‘Hmm..this smells good. I wonder if its for me? Surely it must be. It wouldn’t just be sitting there if it wasn’t right?’

I know our family cat, whenever food items get placed in the cool of the utility room (kind of her domain), presumes automatically : ‘Hey, its in my kingdom, it must be mine!’ and promptly helps herself. We’ve learnt the hard way as you may be able to tell.

35. ayngelina May 7, 2011 at 08:11 #

Looks divine, I wish cheese in Argentina weren’t so expensive, we are so lucky in Canada.

36. Tracey@Tangle Noodle May 7, 2011 at 08:45 #

I’m all about the flavor and this goat cheese cheesecake sounds absolutely delicious! Can’t blame the kitty for wanting a peek… 8-)

37. Sarah, Maison Cupcake May 7, 2011 at 18:07 #

This looks wonderful, I love cheesecakes. I’m also very fond of black cats!

38. Jen Laceda May 7, 2011 at 22:55 #

I finally got my copy of Dorie’s cookbook :) Still hesitant about joining French Fridays. Too much pressure on me. LOL!

39. Anna Johnston May 8, 2011 at 01:39 #

Stunning looking Tourteau de Chèvre, absolutely gorgeous. Well done.

40. Renee @kudoskitchen May 8, 2011 at 15:08 #

Mardi, I think yours looks just as good as Dorie’s! Don’t you just love a recipe that allows a few imperfections to make it even more beautiful? Any how, I laughed at the picture of your cat keeping a close eye on your Tourteau. How funny, and to me it just seemed so French (don’t ask me why). What an entertaining post. Thanks for the smiles :)

41. amanda @ fake ginger May 8, 2011 at 16:30 #

Mmm, it looks just like the one from the book! I couldn’t really taste the goat in it either – just seemed like a regular cheesecake to me! Still a winner!

42. Allison May 8, 2011 at 23:35 #

Great post! Love your pictures and your nervousness. It’s comforting to read others experience it too. :)

43. Megan'sCookin' May 10, 2011 at 20:24 #

One of my favorite appetizers is a cheesecake made with goat cheese. And your pictures are making me drool. This is a must try indeed.

44. Sis Boom May 10, 2011 at 23:54 #

I do think this is a great thing to serve with a royal wedding! I nearly didn’t get it done but soo glad I did. I will definitly make this again and again!

45. sanya May 11, 2011 at 06:58 #

Absolutely beautiful photos.
    The colour of your cake is gorgeous.

46. Alice November 17, 2011 at 07:49 #

WOW! Yours looks great too!
    I was wondering if other people put the tart dough all the way up the side of the springform, I think I might just go halfway next time seeing how yours turned out. Tart dough tends to be a bit of a stubborn personality, I have had about a 50-50 relationship with tart doughs! :)

I just got caught up on this one today!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 27, 2011 at 08:11 #

I remember not having enough dough to go all the way up the sides all the way around but nonetheless it was delicious!

47. Sara April 12, 2012 at 09:27 #

This one has caught my eye, in particular as I have a big log of goat cheese that needs using ASAP. I’m guessing it would freeze well, what do you think? (obviously it would just be a guess, but I think of cheesecake as generally freezing well). Your cake looks gorgeous! I just got this book and am sorely tempted to join FFWD.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Crazy with the Pie Crust | Bonnie Berry Photography Blog - April 23, 2012

[...] went a little crazy with pie crusts one Sunday when I made a spinach and mushroom quiche and a Tourteau de chèvre. Both were from Dorie Greenspan’s fabulous cookbook Around My French Table. I obviously did [...]