French Fridays with Dorie: spinach and bacon quiche

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe, Spinach and Bacon Quiche (p. 160 – 161) was a relatively simple one – even the pastry worked out for me this time. I tend to think of quiches and the like as being complicated and taking ages to make but I honestly whipped this up in about 30 minutes (not counting the resting time for the tart dough).  It’s a satisfying light lunch or dinner (or breakfast, as Dorie points out).  Perfect with a green salad…

Dorie Greenspan quicheand a glass of white wine.

Dorie Greenspan quiche

What I really liked about this recipe was that it was not overly eggy or cheesy – so often, quiches disintegrate into a soggy mess as the custard seeps into the dough, but this one is more filling than custard and only has a tiny bit of cheese in it.  I chose to make it with arugula rather than spinach as that’s what I had on hand – like many of the Dorie recipes, it’s very versatile.  I need to remember that most days I probably have the ingredients on hand to make this for dinner. The dough only needs to chill for 3 hours (or up to 5 days) so you could feasibly prepare it in the morning and bake it for dinner.  As school winds down, this is what I will be hoping to do. More from-scratch baking and cooking.

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

Go on, treat yourself – join us in 2011!  There are some GREAT recipes coming up!

80 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: spinach and bacon quiche

1. Liz May 13, 2011 at 06:09 #

Your quiche is picture perfect, Mardi! So glad you enjoyed~

2. Belinda @zomppa May 13, 2011 at 08:03 #

I just adore quiches…adore this one!

3. K May 13, 2011 at 08:36 #

A lovely French bistro-style dinner! Beautiful pictures, as always :)

4. Kelly May 13, 2011 at 08:56 #

This looks like the perfect quiche!

5. Paula May 13, 2011 at 09:06 #

That is one beautiful looking quiche Mardi!

6. Parsley Sage May 13, 2011 at 09:16 #

Looks very tasty! I’m a big fan of FFWD because I love seeing everyone’s interpretation of the dish. Nice switch up with the arugula! Thanks for sharing :)

7. Dawn May 13, 2011 at 09:35 #

Great photos! I am back in the kitchen! I made this one too. Simple and tasty.

8. Mr. Neil May 13, 2011 at 09:47 #

This was a delightful light dinner.

Mardi’s right re the quiche-iness. :-) This was nicely balanced. And of course the bacon made it – the only thing that would be better is if it was our homemade bacon.

To be honest we had two bottles of open wine we needed to finish, so our pairing wasn’t ideal. (Both wines were Australian jobbies I got in a grab-bag shipment that were substandard. The white was too hot and the red was fine – but too heavy for this.) Riesling was my pick the second day for leftovers, which paired nicely.

9. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen May 13, 2011 at 09:57 #

Lovely-looking quiche, Mardi. I didn’t make mine with bacon but it still tasted incredible! Now just waiting for blogspot to be back to normal so my post will be up :-(.

10. Candy May 13, 2011 at 10:26 #

Gorgeous photos! I’m wishing I had a slice of this right now!

11. Kate@Diethood May 13, 2011 at 10:58 #

ooooh arugula!! That is a fantastic idea… I need to try that! Looks gorgeous!

12. Jessica of My Baking Heart May 13, 2011 at 12:28 #

Stunning!

13. Ethan May 13, 2011 at 12:30 #

I think Dorie would applaud you for using what’s in your kitchen and not running out for some spinach. Sign me up for the place seating with the wine please.

14. Heather at FarmgirlGourmet May 13, 2011 at 12:53 #

One word – AMAZING! Oh and DELICIOUS and WANT. :)

Happy Friday!
    Heather

15. Jill Colonna May 13, 2011 at 13:15 #

Looks beautifully perfect. Makes all the difference making your own pastry: you’ve inspired me to do this more often. I’m always too tempted to reach for the ready-made, rolled puff pastry to kill time!

16. DessertByCandy May 13, 2011 at 14:15 #

How do you like the bitterness of arugula in this quiche? Mouthwatering picture!

17. megan @ whatmegansmaking May 13, 2011 at 15:21 #

I love quiche, and this one looks beautiful. It’s making me hungry :)

18. nana May 13, 2011 at 16:09 #

That quiche looks perfect. I thought it a simple dish to make
    and would be ideal for summer eating. A lovely salad goes so
    well with it. Tricia and I both thought the recipe was very
    tasty and we will both be making this again.

19. Lisa @ Tarte du Jour May 13, 2011 at 18:16 #

My kind of food…. beautiful. french. delicious. Nice job!!

20. Valerie May 13, 2011 at 19:23 #

Simple and delicious! The best combination.

21. Nancy@acommunaltable May 13, 2011 at 20:39 #

Your quiche is absolutely gorgeous!!! I am really enjoying Dorie’s book and I love reading about your adventures with the recipes!!

When I read this recipe I also thought it was wonderfully balanced – so glad to hear that it really is!!!

22. Barbara | VinoLuciStyle May 14, 2011 at 00:02 #

I’ve been having a ‘quiche’ thing going on lately; not sure why but have loved experimenting…and I DO have some of my homemade bacon so thinking quiche it is. I’ve got the arugula and the cookbooks so it now seems to be calling my name.

I hate the sogginess that can happen too; ever tried pre-baking your shell just a bit? I’ve heard it can help with that so I’m trying it this weekend. I probably should have done that experiment 2 decades ago but not the first time for me that better late than never prevailed!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 15, 2011 at 10:20 #

The shell is pre-baked and every time I have made a quiche I have done that but to no avail. I love the ratio of custard to filling in this one and will be using it again.

23. My Carolina Kitchen May 14, 2011 at 06:31 #

I was just thinking this morning that I haven’t made a quiche in ages. Probably for the reason you mentioned – worrying that the crust will be soggy. I’m glad to know that the filling is more like custard. That appeals to me too.

It’s so cool that the group is testing the recipes for us and posting the results. I’ll make a note on the page in my book.
    Sam

24. Trix May 14, 2011 at 07:10 #

Your quiche has beautiful color, and I love your cute salad. This was a fun one to come back for!

25. Cher May 14, 2011 at 07:40 #

Lovely pictures, as always. I was very surprised at the custard to filling ratio – I guess it made sense in light of the fact we are using a tart pan – but I kept wanting to add more eggs…

26. Gail May 14, 2011 at 08:37 #

Great idea, Mardi….I’d much rather have the arugula than the spinach. Your crust is so beautifully browned, too!!! Pardon me….must mop up the drool from my chin now.

27. Jan May 14, 2011 at 08:42 #

Most people don’t put bacon in the quiche, but rather serve it on the side. This looks like a great go-to recipe for brunch at home! I love quiche, but I rarely make it! I’m definitely going to check out that recipe :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 14, 2011 at 08:57 #

Really? I have seen a ton of quiches in my time with bacon…. In any case, this is a much easier way to serve breakfast, all neatly ensconced in its pastry case!

28. Renee - Kudos kitchen May 14, 2011 at 08:56 #

Beautifully done Mardi. Love the substitution of the arugula. Wasn’t this recipe wonderful?

29. Nelly Rodriguez May 14, 2011 at 10:02 #

Mardi, your quiche looks flawless and delicious!

30. Yuri May 14, 2011 at 10:15 #

I wanna eat the crust. Just that beautiful golden crust. Gorgeous quiche, Mardi. Hopefully I’ll make mine tomorrow.

31. Surender Sharma May 14, 2011 at 11:00 #

Wow ! Delicious food..
    I’ll try it..

32. Brian @ A Thought For Food May 14, 2011 at 15:12 #

Quiche is one of those brunch foods that I have always loved… and the crust on this one looks so delicious! Great work!

33. Shumaila May 14, 2011 at 15:45 #

This looks so good! Love Dorie Greenspan- have her baking book, but now I feel I should buy this book as well. Thanks for whetting my appetite with your lovely photos!

34. kitchenarian May 14, 2011 at 16:46 #

It is perfect! I should have let mine brown a bit more, but I am always worried about burning the crust. It’s a beautiful quiche.

35. Adriana May 15, 2011 at 11:51 #

Beautiful quiche, Mardi! I need to get one of those pretty ridged tart pans stat. Hope you had a great birthday party yesterday!

36. Candy May 16, 2011 at 12:26 #

I’ve always liked quiche, but I agree, Dorie’s proportions are better. And the crust. The more times I make it, the better it is (oh, that’s probably the point!) glad you enjoyed!

37. penny aka jeroxie May 16, 2011 at 17:28 #

lovely quiche! and the photo is beautiful :)

38. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 16, 2011 at 20:00 #

Quiche is one of my favorites… This one looks amazing!

39. Elaine May 16, 2011 at 22:59 #

It looks just perfect!

40. Noya - gluttonandstudent May 17, 2011 at 12:50 #

Wow – this looks great! Your photos are awesome

41. Betsy May 17, 2011 at 21:04 #

I also liked the ratio on this one. I’ve never had cooked arugula, but I love it raw, so I’m going to try that. Nice job!