French Fridays with Dorie: Mustard bâtons

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe – Mustard Bâtons (p. 15) was yet another recipe I was able to make during a study break.  I took the puff pastry out of the freezer early afternoon and we were munching on these by apéritif time…

Another simple, “make-aheadable” Dorie recipe, this simply involves rolling out the pastry, slathering it with Dijon mustard, folding it back over itself, cutting strips of pastry with a pizza cutter (genius!), brushing with them egg wash and sprinkling poppy seeds over the top.

Pop them in the oven for 8 minutes, turn the trays and bake for another 8 minutes.  Let them cool for a few minutes (if you can resist!) and enjoy with a Kir (one part crème de Cassis with four to five parts of white wine).

As Dorie says, “it doesn’t take much to make something great tasting and good-looking too!”

Neil and I were enjoying our apéritifs in our respective offices and all of a sudden I received an email (a sad admission but you know, sometimes it’s easier to send an email than walk up the stairs!) saying “WOW”.  In fact, these are Neil’s favourite “of all the recent blog food” (ummm, that’s a lot of food and quite the compliment to this humble apéritif snack of Dorie’s!).  I love this recipe because I see endless flavour possibilities – think tapenade, cheese, sun dried tomatoes, olives, pâté…  Or how about a sweet version – chocolate, Nutella, jam… The possibilities really are endless!  I see a lot of these in our future!

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada.  Go on, treat yourself – join us in 2011!  There are some GREAT recipes coming up!

Looking for some more great quick and easy appetizers? Head on over to my latest article for Food Network Canada

* Don’t forget to check out next month’s “Forever Nigella” event – I’m hosting a street party in honour of the Royal Wedding and would love for you to join me. All the details here.

49 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Mustard bâtons

1. My Carolina Kitchen April 22, 2011 at 07:08 #

These are gorgeous and oh so French. You are right. A Kir is in order. I’ll have to give these a try.
    Sam

2. Brian @ A Thought For Food April 22, 2011 at 07:17 #

I just love recipes like that… ones that don’t involve stress of any kind. These look fantastic!

3. Liz April 22, 2011 at 07:32 #

I loved these, too! The tapenade is to.die.for!!! Gorgeous photos, Mardi~

4. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen April 22, 2011 at 07:47 #

Oh yes please! I’ll take a few of these and a glass of Kir. :-)

5. Paula April 22, 2011 at 07:56 #

Oh I love the look of these and the fact that they are not difficult to create. Wondering how they would go with a bit of warm brie? Have a lovely Easter weekend Mardi.

6. AmyRuth April 22, 2011 at 08:15 #

Love the intercom system…. texting is my fav. Upstairs/downstairs he he
    Beautiful photographs!
    I can’t wait to make these and yes I own the book woohoo
    AmyRuth

7. Trix April 22, 2011 at 08:20 #

Okay, I really am going to get back on the Dorie train soon! In the meantime, I can enjoy posts like this – love your photos. By the way? You get more done during a study break than most people accomplish in a week!

8. Denise@There's a Newf in My Soup April 22, 2011 at 08:28 #

Mardi – I stayed with the basic, savory version, but I like your ideas for sweet. I’m also all over trying a kir!

9. Belinda @zomppa April 22, 2011 at 08:38 #

Perfect mid-morning snack…or afternoon…or…

10. Happy When Not Hungry April 22, 2011 at 08:43 #

Wow these look beautiful! Great job!

11. Maya April 22, 2011 at 09:36 #

I actually tried two versions of this baton with Nutella, and they were irresistible! Your shots and batons are gorgeous, and as per Neil, these have become my husband’s favorite blog food in recent times :-).

12. Cher April 22, 2011 at 09:46 #

My girl eyed the Nutella comment and wanted to know when that version would be heading her way…
    These were great (and so easy).

13. Mr. Neil April 22, 2011 at 10:38 #

For the record, the pairing with a kir was a good one, I suspect: but if you’re a traditionalist, remember a kir should be made with ugni blanc. Never heard of it? Don’t feel bad, most haven’t. If you cannot find that (and out of France likely you won’t – though Chateau des Charmes locally have released one, much to my delight) stay with something bracingly crisp and dry – almost astringent. No off-dry jobbies or aromatic whites here.

I actually munched mine paired with a beer – Extra Special Bitter, to be precise – and it also worked beautifully with the mustard.

14. Jen @ keepitsimplefoods April 22, 2011 at 10:40 #

These sound amazing. Definitely the kind of snack I could mindlessly munch on until there are none left- dangerous! ;)

15. Kelly April 22, 2011 at 11:01 #

Oooo these look great! Lovely pictures! :)

16. stephirey April 22, 2011 at 11:37 #

Mardi, your batons are perfect! So glad Neil enjoyed them so much! I made some with tapenade and some with mustard and they were both a hit!

17. Monica (Ms. Hobby) April 22, 2011 at 12:20 #

Those look great. I agree, lots of options with this one!

18. kitchenarian April 22, 2011 at 13:22 #

Bring on the wine and the mustard batons! Such a wonderful, simple recipe. I love your pictures and I have to try Kir, such a great suggestion.

19. Parsley Sage April 22, 2011 at 13:49 #

Everyone’s baton’s look so good! I can’t wait to see some of your variations on this :)

20. amanda @ fake ginger April 22, 2011 at 13:58 #

Yours are the perfect shade of golden brown! It looks like they turned out great! And that’s quite a compliment the recipe got! :)

21. Cookin' Canuck April 22, 2011 at 17:14 #

You’re right – these are genius! I am bookmarking to make for our next dinner party.

22. Sis. Boom. April 22, 2011 at 19:33 #

I send email to others in the house all the time! That made me laugh! Your batons look so good!

23. Betsy April 22, 2011 at 21:18 #

That made me laugh too. My husband sometimes texts me at the dinner table. I’m going to have to get some creme de cassis for kir. We just ate them straight.

24. Tricia S. April 22, 2011 at 22:09 #

Oh man – a Kir. You got that spot on. Nana and her hubby serve them often and I have to remind them how well our newest favorite recipe would go with one :) You also captured it well when you said it was the best and easiest in a while. So nice to have both in one recipe. Another fabulous French Friday…..

25. Kate@Diethood April 23, 2011 at 13:21 #

I loved loved loved these! I don’t know how many I had exactly, but I’m ready to have some more! :)

26. anncoo April 23, 2011 at 13:59 #

Mardi, I’ve tag u in an Easter Game @ 5 Recipes To Celebrate Easter!! Pls come & join in the party :)
    Happy Easter!

27. Mr. Neil April 23, 2011 at 18:21 #

Breaking News.

Mrs. Phillips (in her 80s) saw these and is doing them for Easter Sunday.

Now THAT’S a vote of confidence! :-)

28. penny aka jeroxie April 24, 2011 at 03:11 #

Another super easy recipe by Dorie. she rocks :)

29. MikeVFMK April 24, 2011 at 13:19 #

These look delicious! My kind of no-stress, easy to make bites that surely wouldn’t last more than 10 minutes. And anything slathered with mustard must be good! Well done!

30. Mindy April 24, 2011 at 13:47 #

OK you convinced me. After reading your delicious Dorie posts for a loooong time, I bought the book. And it looks gooooooood.

31. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets April 24, 2011 at 19:27 #

Mmm this looks so flavorful and a great appetizer especially for entertaining. Wish I had the book.

32. Renee @KudosKitchen April 25, 2011 at 17:38 #

I loved these too Mardi! Yours look wonderful!

33. Magic of Spice April 25, 2011 at 17:42 #

Those look so pretty and I love the delicate flaky texture and I am sure they are very delicious :)

34. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction April 28, 2011 at 22:22 #

These look fabulous! I’m really wishing I had some puff pastry hanging around so I could make these tomorrow.

35. Tami May 2, 2011 at 20:28 #

Loving my Dorie book and my subscription to her newsletters, etc. Not sure Mardi if you have any ties with Amazon or not, however, the bookstore I use in the UK now has a US office – http://www.bookdepository.com/

I usually search for my books through http://www.booko.com.au a database of worldwide online bookstores and they come up with the cheapest price for me. I have saved hundreds on my books over the past couple of years by using them.

PS Book Depository UK and US both ship worldwide for free – The Pefect Scoop was waiting for me when I got back from NZ yesterday!! A great companion to go with my Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream cookbook.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 6, 2011 at 17:29 #

Thanks, I do earn a few cents if someone purchases a book through my links on Amazon but I love the idea of free worldwide shipping.