French Fridays with Dorie: Garlicky crumb-coated broccoli

There’s really not much to say about this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe. Garlicky crumb-coated broccoli (p 334) was a huge hit with me. All week. I made this dish at least 3 times because I found it incredibly difficult to photograph (and clearly didn’t quite “get it” after so many tries!).  Normally I would serve this as a side dish with some meat but Neil was out all week and I don’t generally cook for myself when he’s not there.  I ate this mixed in with some pasta, on top of rice and as a snack. It’s pretty versatile.

As Dorie herself says, “rolling broccoli around in some buttery breadcrumbs flavoured with garlic, lemon and herbs is [...] transformative.” Had I been introduced to broccoli with this recipe, I might have been a fan much earlier in my life. It really is that good :-)

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada.  Go on, treat yourself – join us in 2011!  There are some GREAT recipes coming up!

* Did you enter my FRESH BERRY GIVEAWAY yet? You have until Sunday April 10th at 6pm EST to enter.  Details here.

** Don’t forget to check out next month’s “Forever Nigella” event – I’m hosting a street party in honour of the Royal Wedding and would love for you to join me. All the details here.

, , , , ,

70 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Garlicky crumb-coated broccoli

1. Adriana April 8, 2011 at 06:23 #

Mardi, these are beautiful! I loved these breadcrumbs so much I’m thinking of using them with other preparations.

2. Liz April 8, 2011 at 06:26 #

SO glad you got some lovely photos…I just sprinkled my crumbs b/c I feared the same problem!!!

3. Jessica @ How Sweet April 8, 2011 at 06:48 #

What pretty broccoli! I could even eat this and I am not a broccoli fan.

4. Paula April 8, 2011 at 07:22 #

I love broccoli and I think I’m going to love it even more served this way.

5. Mr. Neil April 8, 2011 at 08:58 #

A nice New World warm climate (= slightly buttery, not too oaked) Chardonnary would pair nicely. Australia and California come to mind.

6. Rochelle April 8, 2011 at 09:01 #

I need to try this version of broccoli! I like broccoli in just about any and every way possible, but the boys here are more picky (by a ton). I think I might be able to convert them over to broccoli eaters with this recipe :D

7. Happy When Not Hungry April 8, 2011 at 09:16 #

This broccoli looks awesome! I’m always looking for new ways to make veggies. Nice job!

8. Joan Nova April 8, 2011 at 09:30 #

Looks delicious and it photographed well. I liked that you shaved the stems. I eat broccoli and pasta all the time!

9. RavieNomNoms April 8, 2011 at 09:45 #

ooooo I just loooove this idea!

10. penny aka jeroxie April 8, 2011 at 09:49 #

looks yummy and crunchy… nom nom

11. Parsley Sage April 8, 2011 at 09:54 #

Ooooh! I’m not a fan of broccoli but I do absolutely love garlic! Maybe this is a good way to introduce this vitamin packed veg into my dinner rotation :) Thanks for sharing!

12. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen April 8, 2011 at 09:59 #

Oh wow! I already love broccoli with a passion but these are like heaven!

13. Annie April 8, 2011 at 10:08 #

Really difficult to photograph, but your looks lovely! This recipe has put new life into a fav vegetable.

14. Cher April 8, 2011 at 12:39 #

Glad you were finally able to the “beauty shot”. Great persistence on it!

15. pachecopatty April 8, 2011 at 12:47 #

I think you did a nice job with the photo, it looks beautiful:-)

16. Beth (OMG! Yummy) April 8, 2011 at 16:13 #

Mardi – I may skip this week’s recipe but not for lack of wanting to try it. I was having a hard time imagining how to cut the broccoli – I think her recipe said into six stalks – that seemed unusual – but perhaps she intended them to be served as one large piece. Anyhow – I pictured them more like you show them. Glad to hear it’s a great recipe because our family is a bit tired of my usual simple approach to preparing broccoli. But we do love the vegetable. Congrats on having the determination to keep trying on the photo. I think you did a great job.

17. Denise@There's a Newf in My Soup! April 8, 2011 at 16:16 #

I knew you would come up with beautiful photos ;-)

18. Kate@Diethood April 8, 2011 at 16:39 #

Oh good, I am not the only one in the ‘I could not photograph this broccoli’ category. :)
    But, you obviously got it to work for you… the photos look amazing!

19. Saeng April 8, 2011 at 16:46 #

The broccoli looks delicious! You always make the photo looks so good and make me so hungry just to look at it!

20. K A B L O O E Y April 8, 2011 at 17:02 #

Since we like broccoli in most any guise, or even naked, I expect this would be a winner at our house!

• Mr. Neil April 8, 2011 at 18:38 #

I’ve never eaten broccoli whilst unencumbered by clothes – add a different taste, does it? ;-)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite April 12, 2011 at 21:27 #

:-D Oh la la!

21. Magic of Spice April 8, 2011 at 18:36 #

I never know broccoli could be so gorgeous, love these…and the photos are stunning!

22. StephIrey April 8, 2011 at 18:51 #

Well, even with such a difficult subject…you managed to come up with interesting shots. I really love how the breadcrumbs “pop” on your spears. Can’t wait to make (and eat) these on Sunday!

23. Christina April 8, 2011 at 19:16 #

I like the way you put the broccoli on center stage in the spotlight. Your photos came out great!

24. kitchenarian April 8, 2011 at 19:20 #

I think we would all agree: difficult to photograph, BUT delicious to eat!

25. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen April 8, 2011 at 19:59 #

It’s so hard to make a plate of broccoli look enticing but you’ve managed to do a great job here! And if I had 3 tries at making this, I still wouldn’t have coated my broccoli as thoroughly as you did, right down to the stalks!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite April 12, 2011 at 21:25 #

Oh I was pushing those babies into the breadcrumbs to make it stick and look pretty, believe me!

26. Mary April 8, 2011 at 21:03 #

I love that you made it three times to get it just right :). True blogger dedication. I am excited for the royal wedding too. Great idea.

27. Betsy April 8, 2011 at 21:52 #

I think your final photo was a success. I think the buttery breadcrumbs make this broccoli irresistible.

28. Laurie April 8, 2011 at 22:30 #

Wow, I think you did a fabulous job photographing this.

29. Carolyn Jung April 8, 2011 at 23:30 #

Oooh, now this is my idea of finger food. Yum!

30. amelia from z tasty life April 8, 2011 at 23:35 #

m-m-m, these will be my lunch side tomorrow!!!
    BTW, i think they came out well in the photo!

31. QuincesandthePea April 9, 2011 at 10:26 #

Oh wow I love broccoli so much – these look amazing!

32. Tricia S. April 9, 2011 at 12:20 #

Nana and I both REALLY enjoyed this dish …..as did our families. I was chuckling because it was a bit hard to photograph – though this was in large part due to my family chowing it down ! Your photos turned out amazing. This one is now at the top of my repeat list. A phenomenal FFriday.

33. KY April 9, 2011 at 15:58 #

You got some really nice ‘artsy’ photos of the broccoli, well done! :)

34. Charissa April 9, 2011 at 16:17 #

This looks really gourmet. Even kid friendly! I’m needing to try these!

35. Yuri April 9, 2011 at 16:55 #

Great photos, Mardi!

36. Ethan April 9, 2011 at 22:12 #

Well, practice makes perfect because those pictures come out wonderful. The brocoli looks rustic and classy and crunchy enough to enjoy a plateful!

37. Conor @ Hold the Beef April 10, 2011 at 09:35 #

I think this transforms them from “little trees” to “little flowers” :)

I’m afraid when I get to the stage in my diet when I can test out broccoli that it will have a bad reaction. I love those little trees. Or flowers.

38. Anna Johnston April 11, 2011 at 06:57 #

Well., I think you nailed these pics, they look wonderful. I have only had these once & I loved them., thanks for the reminder :)

39. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction April 13, 2011 at 15:20 #

This looks like an AMAZING way to eat broccoli!

40. The Mistress of Spices July 25, 2011 at 11:21 #

I finally broke down and ordered AMFT last week…resistance was futile! I can’t wait to make this and so many of the other Dorie recipes that you and others have shared. I’ll surely join along for FFWD too!