Daring Cooks: Edible containers

Renata of Testado, Provado & Aprovado! was the Daring Cooks’ April 2011 hostess. Renata challenged us to think “outside the plate” and create our own edible containers! Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 17th to May 16th at The Daring Kitchen.

I wasn’t too inspired this month. All I could think about when I thought of edible containers was pineapple boats but I was far too preoccupied with getting better and trying to get back to work and finish a paper for grad school to even begin contemplating the 1970s themed party that a pineapple boat is screaming out for.

Instead, I made a simple dish, inspired by what we had on hand in the freezer and a recipe I happened upon a couple of weeks ago in the paper that looked perfect for this on-again, off-again weather we’ve been having – a light shrimp curry with a bit of a kick. Comforting for when it’s chilly but not too heavy for when it’s warmer.  Served on a bed of basmati rice in a poppadom plate. I know, I know, not very creative but I personally loved this and would serve it to guests.

The curry is Chef Vikram Vij’s South Indian prawn curry and to make the poppadom “plates”, I simply brushed one with some vegetable oil and placed it on a paper towel in the microwave. I then placed a small custard cup in the middle to weight it down a little and cooked for 45 seconds on high, then removed the custard cup and continued cooking in 30 second increments until it was completely cooked – about another minute or so. The custard cup gave it a small indent in which to place the rice and curry, leaving enough to break off from around the edges and dip in the sauce.

So, not very “daring” but delicious nonetheless ;-)

* Want to win a copy of The Whole Family Cookbook? Simply click and comment on this post by 6pm EST today, Thursday, April 14th for your chance to win!

** Don’t forget to check out next month’s “Forever Nigella” event – I’m hosting a street party in honour of the Royal Wedding and would love for you to join me. All the details here.

27 Responses to Daring Cooks: Edible containers

1. Audax Artifex April 14, 2011 at 06:55 #

You are too harsh on yourself if you loved it that is all that is needed for a complete triumph for you <3<3<3 And the light prawn curry on the crisp poppadom sounds delicious a good contrast of mouth feels. Well done on this challenge I hope all your work goes well for you.

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

2. marla April 14, 2011 at 08:17 #

Love the idea of the poppadom plates for this fabulous looking curry!

3. Vicki @ WITK April 14, 2011 at 08:24 #

I love the simplicity of your edible plate. The entire dish looks amazing, I’d love to eat that for dinner!

4. Conor @ Hold the Beef April 14, 2011 at 09:19 #

If only we lived next door to each other, I could have supplied the pineapple (from my free supply!) for the boats and we could have made light work of the 70s party! Perhaps between the two of us we have enough free time to do… oh I dunno… anything other than work and study?! Sigh..

Okay so perhaps this is not the world’s most creative container but yes, looks delish :)

5. Barbara Bakes April 14, 2011 at 09:38 #

Looks exotic and delicious to me! I had to Google poppadom.

6. Paula April 14, 2011 at 09:42 #

I think your pompadom plate is a very pretty edible serving dish and your rice looks wonderful in it. With all that you are having to deal with I’m amazed that you are still posting, let alone keeping up with all your FFWD, Charcutepalooza, Daring Cooks etc., not to mention your job and studies. WOW!

7. Kelly April 14, 2011 at 09:45 #

This looks fantastic! :)

8. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz April 14, 2011 at 09:46 #

Definitely too hard on yourself, I love your idea. Curries are the best and I would serve this to guests too. Simple and sophisticated!

9. Jen @ keepitsimplefoods April 14, 2011 at 09:49 #

Your plate turned out absolutely gorgeous! Very daring indeed!

Love the Royal Wedding street party idea! Can’t wait to celebrate! :)

10. penny aka jeroxie April 14, 2011 at 10:09 #

I hope to expect more edible plates when I come visit :P

11. Belinda @zomppa April 14, 2011 at 11:41 #

Goodness, this is a perfect meal.

12. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having April 14, 2011 at 12:14 #

I think poppadom plates are a great idea! This dish sounds fantastic to me!

13. Rochelle April 14, 2011 at 12:18 #

These remind me of an Indian tostada! The curry looks/sounds delicious :). It’s simple and as we all know simplicity can be one of the best ways to prepare/serve food :)

14. Parsley Sage April 14, 2011 at 16:36 #

Sometimes the simpler dishes are the most elegant! I think this looks incredibly tasty. Lovely curry recipe as well, great post!

15. sippitysup April 14, 2011 at 17:11 #

That’s a plate I’d eat and it’s just daring enough! GREG

16. Happy When Not Hungry April 14, 2011 at 22:07 #

This looks delicious!! Nice job!

17. Renata April 18, 2011 at 09:09 #

I love your plate idea! And the contents are looking delicious! I could have one of these right now! Thanks for participating!
    I hope you are feeling better :)

18. Jenni April 18, 2011 at 16:42 #

Oh, that looks delicious! Kind of like an Indian Taco Salad! I bet it was so fun to eat! :) Great job!

19. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction April 21, 2011 at 14:45 #

What a fun dish… Good job getting past your lack of inspiration for this challenge!