RSVP Redux: Granola with mixed nuts and coconut

(I know, I know, it’s supposed to be French Fridays with Dorie.  That recipe might go up in the next few days if I can get into the kitchen. Inner ear infection prevails over most everything right now. Thankfully I had this post in draft…)

Late again, sorry. Here’s my contribution to the March RSVP Redux roundup – the blog that compiles posts from bloggers who make something from the RSVP section of Bon Appetit magazine.

I knew as soon as I laid eyes on the February issue of Bon Appétit that I wanted to make the granola with mixed nuts and coconut.  I love a spoonful of granola on my regular cereal in the morning or a tiny bowl as a snack when I come home from work and this one looked interesting and satisfying.  The Jamie Oliver granola I made with Les Petits Chefs last term was good but it’s always great to have a few different homemade granola options.  This one is a keeper.

Apart from adding in the cranberries and chocolate chips, the only modification I made was to omit the salt, because I knew I would be eating this with milk or yoghurt.  Next time, the perfect addition might be some pretzels to create a hearty trail mix :-)

Check out what others made this month here.  Want to join in the fun?

Subscribe to Bon Appétit here and join RSVP Redux – we’d love to have you cook along with us!

Edited to add: Sadly Barb is no longer curating RSVP Redux :(

41 Responses to RSVP Redux: Granola with mixed nuts and coconut

1. Belinda @zomppa March 4, 2011 at 07:39 #

Great start to the morning – thanks! Love those huge cashews.

2. Trix March 4, 2011 at 08:46 #

I think I would go overboard chowing on this granola, thereby turning it from a healthy snack into a fattening nemesis! I hope you feel better soon, you poor thing!

3. Jason Phelps March 4, 2011 at 09:24 #

Can’t go wrong with granola. We wiped out our supply we made last fall in short order. Time to make some more!

Jason

4. Our Eyes Eat First March 4, 2011 at 09:33 #

looks simple wonderful – I gotta have this with some greek yogurt and honey!

5. Emily @ Life On Food March 4, 2011 at 09:45 #

I love homemade granola. This one looks amazing. I have never made any though with butter. I bet you could leave that portion out and it would still bake well and taste good. What do you think?

6. lo March 4, 2011 at 10:33 #

I can’t express how much I love homemade granola. Whether it’s for snacking, eating with yogurt in the morning for breakfast, or throwing into pancakes… so totally worth the effort.

7. Barbara | VinoLuciStyle March 4, 2011 at 11:20 #

I have been on a homemade granola ‘thing’ ever since I first made it a couple of months ago. Some melancholy for all the years I missed since it is so good. I’ve got the goods for this one too…as soon as my current stash is gone, it’s going to be the one. If I can find pepitas…or actually even if I can’t!

8. marla March 4, 2011 at 11:50 #

Sorry to read you are still not well. This tasty granola should make you feel better though :)

9. Joy March 4, 2011 at 12:20 #

That is a wonderful mix. It is perfect for a pick me up.

10. Vicki @ WITK March 4, 2011 at 13:04 #

Sorry to hear you’re still feeling under the weather! Great granola and I love your additions of cranberries and chocolate. Winner!

11. Paula March 4, 2011 at 16:47 #

Love everything in this granola mix. Not loving the fact that you are still under the weather. Time to really pamper yourself, take it easy and get healed. Hoping you are back to your healthy self real soon.

12. Kate @ Diethood.com March 5, 2011 at 00:46 #

I’m eating dried cranberries with nothing else… I really wish I had that bowl up there instead. I love that you included all those nuts and the “just because” chocolate chips… beautiful!

13. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen March 5, 2011 at 05:40 #

I love the idea of adding pretzels to granola! I’m always up for trying a new granola recipe, it’s one of my favorite snacks. I hope you are feeling better soon.

14. The Mistress of Spices March 5, 2011 at 17:58 #

This sounds like a great granola, Mardi. I hope that you feel better very soon!

15. Renee (Kudos Kitchen) March 6, 2011 at 09:34 #

Mardi you have stolen my heart with your recipe for granola and mixed nuts. I think I’m in love! I do hope you’re feeling all better soon and can be back on your game in no time. I know you’ll at least be well rested so I can only imagine that you’ll be cooking/baking and blogging like crazy. Can’t wait to see what you turn out!!!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 8, 2011 at 19:26 #

Well I hope to be back in the kitchen very soon but a little less “crazy” – this has been a wakeup call for sure.

16. KA B L O O E Y March 6, 2011 at 15:51 #

So sorry to hear you’re still sick. Inner ear issues are terrible — are you dizzy? I was going to write that I wasn’t a big granola person and so would be happier with a bowl of your additions (cranberries and chocolate chips), but then read all the comments. So now I guess I’m going to have to taste homemade granola before mouthing off. Packaged bagels aren’t bagels, so why should packaged granola be granola. Thanks Mardi and your readers.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 8, 2011 at 19:25 #

Hold judgment until you make your own for sure. It’ll convert you and Mooch would love to help make this!

17. zenchef March 6, 2011 at 18:53 #

This is the most appetizing granola I have ever seen. Wow.
    Can you make it appear at my house in time for breakfast?

18. penny aka jeroxie March 7, 2011 at 01:29 #

A nice little reminder to make more granola for brekkie and snacking
    and btw, you should be resting…..

19. Jen @ keepitsimplefoods March 8, 2011 at 09:27 #

I actually made a similar granola for my blog this weekend. I used coconut, but added dried cherries and chocolate. Love homemade granola!

20. This looks like such a great granola recipe, and you can’t beat the combination of sweet & salty! Delicious!

I also wanted to let you know that I passed on the ‘Stylish Blogger Award’ to you and your beautiful blog –

21. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction March 8, 2011 at 21:25 #

I saw this in BA, and I have been meaning to try it! It looks so good… I just need to gather up all of the ingredients.

22. Barbara Bakes March 8, 2011 at 22:55 #

This really does look like a keeper. It would make a great trial mix.

23. Marisa March 9, 2011 at 02:36 #

Gotta love some good-for-you granola!