French Fridays with Dorie: Salted butter break-ups

I already knew when I saw salted butter break-ups on the menu for French Fridays with Dorie this week that I would love them. I mean, butter + salt is a marriage made in heaven. As evidenced by one of our favourite baguette toppers when we are in France.

(I found this in Seattle last summer. Was very sad I couldn’t pack some in my bag to bring home…)

Yup, that’s right, butter with chunks of sea salt. So, so  good.

Since I have been sick, I’ve kind of lost my kitchen mojo so I was pleased for a relatively easy recipe this week. I halved the recipe to make a smaller amount (Dorie’s original recipe says “serves 4″ though I beg to differ – that’s a LOT of buttery goodness for 4 people!) and it was the perfect amount for a 2-person household.

The dough came together pretty quickly and easily and rested in the fridge for an hour.  I did have some trouble keeping it even thickness as I rolled it out, as evidenced by the slightly burnt edges..

And as Dorie suggested, I just broke it up into uneven pieces…

And nibbled a few crumbs as I was doing so. It was wonderful – crisp and buttery and you could really taste the salt (I used fleur de sel – quite large grains that you could actually see if you looked close).

But I couldn’t help think that something was missing.  Inspired by my mum, who used to make wonderful chocolate-dipped shortbread and my salted chocolate-dipped potato chips I made last year, I went ahead and tempered some chocolate, dipped and sprinkled some extra salt on the chocolate…

They were fabulous. So, so good. A kick of salt, butter and some chocolate – I mean, what could be better?  Dorie’s recipe is already wonderful on its own, the chocolate just elevates it to another level of tasty.  I’ll be making these again – they’re so easy and so impressive.

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon (great price right now) or here on Amazon Canada (it’s also on special!).  Go on, treat yourself – join us in 2011!

80 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Salted butter break-ups

1. Belinda @zomppa March 18, 2011 at 07:57 #

I’m pretty sure I could eat this whole plate in one sitting – beautiful!

2. joanne March 18, 2011 at 08:17 #

I can taste the breakups in all their buttery flavor with chocolate just from the photos. Delish!

3. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen March 18, 2011 at 08:18 #

Darn you, your post is making me miss that good French butter with sea salt and my favorite butter cookies of all time: Palets Bretons. These butter break ups are calling my name, especially dipped in chocolate!

4. Sanjeeta kk March 18, 2011 at 08:19 #

Wow! What a lovely treat! Those chocolate dipped are just irresistible..

5. MikeVFMK March 18, 2011 at 08:43 #

Mardi, these look great! Especially dipped in chocolate. Always loved chocolate and sea salt combination.

6. Brian @ A Thought For Food March 18, 2011 at 08:57 #

There are few things better than flour, butter, and sugar… but add in some chocolate and fleur de sel and you have magical treats.

7. Lola March 18, 2011 at 09:07 #

How clever! Dipped in chocolate sounds and looks divine. You’re pictures are really good!

8. Adriana March 18, 2011 at 09:20 #

Oh wow… I love your variation! The chocolate and extra salt make it even more scrumptious. Congrats on getting the Dorie seal of approval ;-)

9. Liz March 18, 2011 at 09:38 #

Love your top photo…I think this is the perfect way to serve these gems :) Hope you’re starting to feel better~

10. Renee (Kudos Kitchen) March 18, 2011 at 09:49 #

Your inspiration to dip your salted butter break-ups in chocolate was brilliant Mardi! Next time I make these (and I will definitley make these again) I’m going to do that too. Ooo la la!
    Glad to hear that your starting to get your cooking mojo back and feeling better. Continued good health!

11. Trix March 18, 2011 at 10:21 #

I love your adaptation. This is one sweet I can really get behind, thanks to all the salty butter. Boo hoo on me – I skipped this week, as time got the better of me. : (

12. Sis. Boom. March 18, 2011 at 10:36 #

Great idea! I had to up the salt in this one to really get the desired effect but there was plenty of room for chocolate…and more salt. There always is!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 20, 2011 at 18:54 #

I was fine with the salt ratio but added the extra on the chocolate to balance the sweet…

13. fooddreamer March 18, 2011 at 11:07 #

I’ve never heard of “break ups” but I can get on board with butter, salt and chocolate!

14. Ethan March 18, 2011 at 11:24 #

Great minds think alike! When I saw the recipe, I too thought of treating them with chocolate somehow. I don’t have a food processsor yet, so I couldn’t partake in this week’s activity, but i’ll certainly do it when i’m fully equipped. They look great!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 20, 2011 at 18:53 #

Ethan I “think* you could make this dough without a food processor but not sure. Don’t take my word for it. Next time you are in Toronto, come over, we will bake a batch!

15. StephIrey March 18, 2011 at 11:34 #

Mardi, you are my inspiration! I’m having a bad morning (lost a freezer and a freezer full of food at one of my stores yesterday and it’s bumming me out)…so I think I’ll make these again and dip them in chocolate and eat them…maybe all by myself! Wish I lived near you, I’d just come over and gobble yours up. And bring you some soup!

16. K A B L O O E Y March 18, 2011 at 11:49 #

Of course you should give them the dark chocolate/salt treatment. Everything should be given a bath in dark chocolate and salt. They look delicious. Irresistible. (man, 5th try’s the charm re: spelling. darn. you could’ve whipped up a batch of cookies in the time it took me to spell irresistible.)

17. Cher March 18, 2011 at 12:10 #

Hey, we dip shortbread in chocoalte so this is perfect in my book.
    Hope you are feeling better.

18. Steph@stephsbitebybite March 18, 2011 at 12:21 #

Love that you dipped these in chocolate! They look so addicting!!

19. Tia March 18, 2011 at 15:16 #

way to take a great cookie and make it EVEN GREATER!

20. DessertByCandy March 18, 2011 at 16:04 #

Woohoo! Everything’s better with chocolate!

21. Mary March 18, 2011 at 16:07 #

Chocolate and salt on top of these cookies might be sheer brilliance. Great idea. I will try that next time.

22. Lynn March 18, 2011 at 16:21 #

These look amazing. Awesome idea to add the chocolate. This recipe will be a keeper for me. Thank you!

23. sara @CaffeIna March 18, 2011 at 18:16 #

Oh yea, this sure is a great snack. Even if I’m not a big fan of chocolate I can see myself love these if I don’t dip them too much

24. Chez Us March 18, 2011 at 19:10 #

Wish I had some of those break-ups to go with my cup of tea. Gorgeous photo!

25. Christina March 18, 2011 at 19:59 #

Everything is better with chocolate. Especially if salt is involved. I love the texture you got with your cookies… they look extra flaky!

26. Betsy March 18, 2011 at 21:14 #

I liked these plain, but I like the idea of dipping them in chocolate. I made the whole recipe for our household of 2, so I still have some extra to try it out. I do wish I’d added a little more salt.

27. kitchenarian March 18, 2011 at 22:40 #

I loved this recipe. It was simple and delicious. I need to make them again so I can dip them in chocolate. Great post.

28. Lana March 18, 2011 at 22:47 #

Love the chocolate! I have to make the cookie again because everybody loved it, and I am going to steal your idea:)
    My edges were darker than the rest of the cookie, but they were my favorite part, so I am not complaining.
    I am glad you are feeling better:)

29. Amanda March 19, 2011 at 00:59 #

Seems like keeping the dough even on all parts is a bit tricky! I can’t wait to give these a shot next week when I have some free time. I love the idea of dipping them in chocolate – yum!!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 20, 2011 at 18:48 #

Yes keeping the dough even was tricky for a few people it seems but it kind of adds to the rustic look, I think!

30. mademoiselle délicieuse March 19, 2011 at 09:03 #

I know some people are unsalted butter purists but I love mine with a bit of salt! Just brings out that extra bit of butteriness for me. Love how the shortbread is borken into rustic chunks and, absolutely agree, with a bit of indulgence when dipped in chocolate.

31. Carla March 19, 2011 at 11:35 #

I actually thought about dipping in chocolate, but they were gone in a hurry, so… ;) Yours looks so amazing!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 20, 2011 at 18:47 #

I didn’t show them to Neil before I dipped them, otherwise they wouldn’t have lasted long enough either!

32. Tricia March 19, 2011 at 12:42 #

How did I NOT think of the chocolate ?? Genius and Gorgeous. I even shared how much I love chocolate covered pretzels. I will blame the lack of creativity on the deadline :) Your photos are just stunning. Thx for the great post – I will need to revisit this recipe again. And look to see if anyone carries that special butter in Philly….

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 20, 2011 at 18:46 #

Yes, chocolate covered pretzels are some of my favourite snacks – I loved the store in Reading Terminal Market that sells a ton of different ones. Sweet and salty is a favorite combo of mine – I couldn’t NOT do this!

33. Cooking Rookie March 19, 2011 at 17:57 #

They look yummy!

34. ck March 19, 2011 at 19:36 #

Firstly, your photos are droppers (my word for drop dead gorgeous) and the subject of them just makes my mouth water. I was quite devastated not to find the recipe at the end as I was like, I so have to taste these – anything with salt and chocolate, I’m there! Looks like I am going to have to get a copy of the book…!

35. Paula March 20, 2011 at 00:18 #

Firs time hearing about break-ups but I certainly want to try them now one day. The chocolate dipping was a great idea! Thinking as I write that I just may make them with michealsdolce jams spread on them. Are you able to get his jams in Toronto and if so, have you tried any of his line? So good Mardi.

36. penny aka jeroxie March 22, 2011 at 03:16 #

Such a naughty naughty plate of snack!

37. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction March 22, 2011 at 16:19 #

Oh, these look amazing! I love buttery cookies, so I know I’d gobble them up… Especially with the chocolate and salt!

38. Joy March 23, 2011 at 15:08 #

Those look wonderful.

39. Sarah, Maison Cupcake March 23, 2011 at 18:47 #

These look great – I am fortunate that although tricky to buy that exact butter in the UK that at least 2 of our supermarkets do a copy cat version.

I’m wondering if these are called “break ups” because they’re broken up or because you’d console yourself with them if you were dumped?

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 24, 2011 at 17:41 #

I think the “break up” part refers to the breaking up of the cookie! Also, you probably would eat a whole one if you were dumped!

40. Conor @ Hold the Beef March 24, 2011 at 09:37 #

Not sure I approve of celebrating the marriage made in heaven of butter + salt by making break-ups… surely this is just tempting fate? What if butter decides to run off with toast for good? Or salt decides they should get back into monogamy with pepper?

41. Michelle @ Taste As You Go April 4, 2011 at 22:46 #

This sounds like the perfect combination of salty and sweet! One question: do you ship to the US? :)