Kitchen Bootcamp: Braising and stewing

I was excited to read that this month’s Kitchen Bootcamp challenge was braising and stewing. There’s nothing like a little braising to tender up even the toughest cut of meat and who doesn’t like a good stew in the winter?

I was a little bit inspired by a couple of things this month – firstly, our recent trip to Mexico where the salsas can truly elevate plain dishes to new heights of tasty and secondly, by some sad looking tomatillos languishing in the bottom of our crisper.  I found a wonderful  recipe for New Mexican Green Chile Stew as I perused Chapter 23 of The Professional Chef, calling for only a very few ingredients and knew that my tomatillos would have a happy home in the salsa which originally called just for Anaheim chiles and jalapeño peppers.

It’s a simple recipe, despite all the steps – as with the wonderful ratatouille I made last year from The Professional Chef, each different ingredient is prepared on its own (or nearly) which means everything is correctly cooked and when you mix them all together you get a perfect marriage of flavours without some ingredients being over or under-cooked.  Like most stews, it’s a dish that tastes better the next day and freezes well, developing the flavour even more.

A wonderful bowl of comfort on a cold day with a little bit of kick from the chiles – I will definitely be making this again.

Want to join us working through the chapters of the Professional Chef? Check out the Kitchen Bootcamp page here and buy The Professional Chef on Amazon.ca or Amazon.com.

, , , , ,

40 Responses to Kitchen Bootcamp: Braising and stewing

1. Mr. Neil February 22, 2011 at 07:33 #

Ahem. It’s even nicer when you get Mr. Neil to make it… ;-)

2. Chris @ The Peche February 22, 2011 at 07:34 #

Love this. Your photos and description have me pulling our copy of The Professional Chef off the bookcase (so heavy!). Thanks for inspiring us to dig back into that book.

3. Belinda @zomppa February 22, 2011 at 08:05 #

I have some white beans here…seems to be calling for this recipe!

4. marla February 22, 2011 at 09:25 #

I love recipes for new salsas – my all time favorite meal topper. This green chile stew looks awesome. Wishing I had a big pot of it in the fridge for meals today ;)

5. julie @ rosy + tart February 22, 2011 at 09:49 #

This looks like it’s right up my husband’s alley… I’ll have to send this over to him so he can take a crack at it!

6. Lynn February 22, 2011 at 10:04 #

This looks like a perfect anecdote for winter. Thank you!

7. Kelsey/TheNaptimeChef February 22, 2011 at 10:30 #

This looks fabulous Mardi! Isn’t this cold weather the pits?!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite February 23, 2011 at 21:36 #

Yes but it’s nice when you come across easy recipes that are healthy and comforting to help you cope with the awful winter!

8. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom February 22, 2011 at 13:44 #

We’ve had some wonderful green chile stew in Santa Fe and never found a recipe that did it justice. Your version looks like a winner.

9. Eliot February 22, 2011 at 16:35 #

Love green chiles!
    Love New Mexico!
    Thanks for this recipe which sounds authentic!!! I am saving this recipe for the weekend to make.

10. Happy When Not Hungry February 22, 2011 at 18:35 #

This looks delicious! I love anything that is braised. It’s so comforting and hearty. Yum!

11. Simply Life February 22, 2011 at 20:34 #

Wow, your dishes are always so impressive!

12. cat February 22, 2011 at 21:20 #

great take on stew – i love the bright, fresh salsa with it!

13. Paula - bell'alimento February 22, 2011 at 21:26 #

I’d like a giant bowl of this right now please ; )

14. Nancy@acommunaltable February 22, 2011 at 22:06 #

I have made this one from Pro Chef and you are right – it’s a great stew and is better if made a day ahead!!

15. penny aka jeroxie February 23, 2011 at 07:31 #

Oh… I love this and will keep it for winter. I do love my chillies as well :)

16. Mr. Neil February 23, 2011 at 12:25 #

We enjoyed an Ontario off-dry Riesling with this stew, by the by…

17. Lael Hazan @educatedpalate February 23, 2011 at 20:30 #

Comforting and intriguing at the same time.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite February 23, 2011 at 21:33 #

Yes it was definitely a bright, fresh mouthful in what could be a fairly boring stew. Love the salsa!

18. foodie and the chef February 23, 2011 at 20:42 #

I love pork belly – this looks gorgeous.

19. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction February 23, 2011 at 22:09 #

Lovely! I actually thought of making this recipe from TPC… I just love the flavors in the dish.

Thanks for submitting this to the Kitchen Bootcamp challenge this month!

20. Conor @ Hold the Beef February 24, 2011 at 05:49 #

Ooh Mardi, DEFINITELY my kind of chilli stew! However, the thought of making/eating it right now is enough to almost make me pass out… if I wasn’t already almost passing out from the heat and humidity combo we’re currently trapped in here. My only consolation is that my sister gave me a SodaStream for my birthday so I can guzzle fizzy tasty treats :D

21. Fuji Mama February 28, 2011 at 19:55 #

Green chiles? YES PLEASE! This sounds so darn good that I don’t think I can run into the kitchen fast enough to make it!

22. Crystal September 20, 2011 at 14:54 #

If you loved this, you really should try making it with Hatch chiles instead of banana peppers. Nothing does New Mexican green chile stew justice like the native grown Hatch chiles. You will not be disappointed. I cut my teeth on my Nana’s stew, growing up in northern NM. I’m anxious to taste your recipe.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 20, 2011 at 15:10 #

Thanks, I used what I had on hand at the time but would definitely try it with hatch peppers another time!