Mactweets: “Vacarons”

This month’s Mactweets theme is “Macinspirational” and Jamie and Deeba challenged us to “combine or integrate macarons into any dessert, making it a new part of an old favorite, or turn our macarons into our favorite dessert, inspired in flavor, texture, color.”

Well right now, pretty much the only thing on my mind is: “Where the heck did my vacation go?”  Along with “Do I really need to make a dessert after the heady holiday season in December?”.  So my macs this month are pure and simple, inspired by the flavours of my all-too-short vacation: Vacarons, if you like…  Last month’s macs were a sloppy, tipsy mess and I wanted to keep things simple with a plain macaron shell which I coloured with “champagne” coloured powdered food colouring (who could resist that, right?) and filled, first with lime buttercream, because in Mexico, limes are served with everything. And, in fact, go with everything!

Look – shiny tops and feet!  I did the happy dance! (actually coming out of the oven, they had kind of wet looking tops even though they were baked enough. I have found that letting them sit a couple of days and dry out helps their appearance a lot)

The second third of the batch, I filled with a coconut buttercream into which I mixed a little coconut for texture. Because coconut always screams “vacation” to me…

VERY pleased with how these ones came out. Smooth, shiny tops, feet, filling that stayed put and not drippy – what more can you ask for.  Of course, the only month when it probably wouldn’t have mattered if they didn’t turn out because, as we all know, failed macs are perfect to combine in all sorts of desserts… Sigh.  Next month, I might get it right!

And the final third of the batch?  Well stay tuned. I piped them in different shapes and they will appear here soon…

55 Responses to Mactweets: “Vacarons”

1. Jamie January 13, 2011 at 05:49 #

Oh, you are back on a roll, baby! Beautiful macs and I love the vacation flavors. I’m inspired!!! So glad you MacBake with us every month!

2. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 13, 2011 at 06:24 #

Vacarons! I love it! “You put the lime in the coconut, you drink them both together…” :-)

3. Blog is the New Black January 13, 2011 at 07:34 #

Vacaroons- cute! These look wonderful- LOVE the colors.

4. Belinda @zomppa January 13, 2011 at 07:48 #

Sylvie said it all. =) That’s fantastic (and beautiful!)

5. Stephanie @ The Brunette Foodie January 13, 2011 at 07:57 #

I want so badly to make macarons, but I just don’t think I have the patience. These are some of the best I’ve seen in the blogosphere! Every time I see one of these mactweets posts I get closer and closer to trying to make them. Maybe I’m just going to have to breakdown and give it a try. Worst that happens is they suck, right?

6. Lora January 13, 2011 at 08:27 #

Nothing scream vacarons like lime and coconut. Really lovely macarons!

7. Ben January 13, 2011 at 09:18 #

I can see why you are very pleased with these results. They are beautiful!

8. Kate @ Diethood.com January 13, 2011 at 10:22 #

I need to give up my fear of making these and just get to it! Yours look incredible!

9. Lael Hazan January 13, 2011 at 11:33 #

OK… I’ve got to get on the Mac bandwagon. There is no excuse. Look how beautifully yours came out. I’m going to convince my girls to try it this weekend!

10. Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen January 13, 2011 at 12:57 #

I love your inspiration, I could go for a vacation as well! I have a batch of vanilla shells sitting around, maybe they could use a coconut filling?

11. Mindy January 13, 2011 at 13:23 #

So what do you do with all these macaron batches? Your friends must be very happy people.

12. Jason Phelps January 13, 2011 at 13:30 #

That damned vacation comes and goes too quick thing again. I hate that!

Jason

13. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 13, 2011 at 15:39 #

Lovely! Lime is one of my favorite flavors… And, yes, it goes with almost everything!

14. thatshowiroll January 13, 2011 at 16:12 #

So vacarons will be! I think the coconut buttercream is calling me…. hummm, but I love lime too. Give me one of each and the dilemma would be solved ;)

15. Barbara | VinoLuciStyle January 13, 2011 at 16:54 #

I can’t help myself….’She put the Lime in the Coconut’ is now playing in my head so it’s only fair you should have the same!

Nice looking macs; I suppose one day I should get back on this horse…my tush is about over the last foray I took and fell on it, hard. :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite January 14, 2011 at 18:26 #

Yeah Barb – you get back on the mac horse and I will find another song to but in your head… ;-)

16. Conor @ Hold the Beef January 13, 2011 at 20:09 #

Coconut may scream vacation to you, but it screams “EAT ME, EAT ME ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT YOU CRAZY FOOL!” to me.

Ahem.

17. Brian @ A Thought For Food January 13, 2011 at 21:57 #

I’d love a big basket of those coconut buttercream macs. I have no doubt that I’d fall for those hard. Great post, Mardi!

18. Sara @CaffeIna January 13, 2011 at 21:58 #

Boy your macarons are always so darn cute! Great job Mardi

19. Terra January 13, 2011 at 22:12 #

These sound so good, the lime flavor one sounds delicious! I just made macarons for the first time, and they actually turned out, YAY ME:) Now I can’t wait to make different flavors of them, this blog is very inspiring for me:)
    Take care,
    Terra

20. Daydreamer Desserts January 13, 2011 at 23:18 #

Loved your vacation inspired macarons! It’s so true… it just feels like something is missing when you sit down for a meal in Mexico and there aren’t any limes around. :)

21. Nancy@acommunaltable January 14, 2011 at 00:30 #

Beautiful mac’s – a skill I have yet to master!!! I am with you – I miss the limes !!! I think we need to go to Mexico, don’t you? I mean, it’s possible that they are no longer serving limes with everything and I think we should go back and check.. you know, just to make sure????

22. penny aka jeroxie January 14, 2011 at 02:54 #

your macarons are getting better and better…. I need private lessons

23. Jill Colonna January 14, 2011 at 05:14 #

Love the vacarons! Found another macaronivore, yeh!

24. Anna Johnston January 15, 2011 at 02:53 #

What a great idea, having just been on vacation I’ve got to admit its hard to walk past places that tempt the taste buds with richly coloured Macs :) These look pretty tempting :)

25. Stephanie January 15, 2011 at 14:00 #

Yum – lime macarons! What could be better with the texture of the macaron and the tanginess of the lime. They look beautiful and nice touch with the name!!

26. deeba January 19, 2011 at 10:40 #

Doing the happy feet dance for you too Mardi…WOOT! Those are some inspired macarons, and PRETTY too! I love the idea of VACARONS! Just brilliant.

27. HI Cookery February 3, 2011 at 10:26 #

Macarons are such a challenge to make, aren’t they?!?! But your “vacarons” turned out nice. You are right about limes being in most Mexican dishes! Love the vibrant lime green buttercream and the colors you chose in your inspired desserts.

28. Cecilia February 3, 2011 at 12:22 #

Ohhh just love your vacarons! I’ve never tried lime, they look so delicious!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Mactweets: “Vacarons” -- Topsy.com - January 14, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jamie Schler, MeetaWFLH and hungrybuds. hungrybuds said: Mactweets: “Vacarons”: This month’s Mactweets theme is “Macinspirational” and Jamie and Deeba challenged us to “… http://bit.ly/ee04tE [...]