International Incident Party: Hot Dogs

For this month’s International Incident Party, Penny chose hot dogs as the theme. Uh, ok then. I mean I love a good hot dog but after the Daring Cooks cassoulet and the Charcutepalooza prosciutto (coming soon!), I wasn’t sure I could face any more meat.  Then one day at work right after we came back from the holidays, I spied some of these in someone’s leftover Hallowe’en candy stash (people tend to hoard these and bring them in during moments of need, like report card writing week which has just ended…)

Source

And I got to thinking about making a sweet hot dog. I mean not a gummy one – that’s way out of my capability range – but something…. Then I remembered Rachael’s Bic Mac macarons and wondered if I could make a hot dog version…

The shells were easy – I made a few extra when I was doing my Mactweets this month and shaped them a little differently, you know, like hot dog rolls..

And I filled them with firstly an orange marshmallow fondant – the same recipe I used for my Iced Faux-Vos – but I coloured it orange to match the fake hot dog colour.  And from the outside, they look like innocent macarons.

But on the inside…

Your choice – mustard and ketchup or you can add pickles…

Check out what everyone else brought to the party…

, , , ,

63 Responses to International Incident Party: Hot Dogs

1. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having January 15, 2011 at 19:09 #

I’d pick one of these over a standard hot dog any day! Very cute.

2. Amanda @ BakingWithoutABox January 15, 2011 at 19:12 #

Oh those are so cute. When I saw hot dogs, I thought yuck. But I would totally dig into one of these. Great creativity!

3. mademoiselle délicieuse January 15, 2011 at 19:15 #

Cute! And very colourful =D

4. Rhonda January 15, 2011 at 20:06 #

How clever! I still have never tried a macaroon in my life…not available here in Great Falls, MT. Let me know if you are willing to ship some to me =)

5. Celeste @ Berrytravels January 15, 2011 at 20:24 #

Ahh!! That’s incredibly cool!

6. leaf (the indolent cook) January 15, 2011 at 20:25 #

That is so gorgeous and creative!

7. Amanda L. (Tales From A Kitchen Misfit) January 15, 2011 at 20:43 #

Those look adorable! Great interpretation!

8. Ethan January 15, 2011 at 21:38 #

I’ve had that gummy hot dog before and as much as I love a good gummy dog, I will happily have your macarons dogs instead! You constantly impress with your creativity, bravo!

9. msihua January 15, 2011 at 22:00 #

Oh wow! They look so cute! Looks like so much work tho! I rather still have the meat version.. but I’m a carnivore!!!

10. The Daily Palette January 15, 2011 at 23:15 #

That’s very creative, Mardi! How cool! I’d like a dozen of those, please :-).

11. Cherrie January 16, 2011 at 03:31 #

Your macs look great. I’ll have mine with ketchup, mustard and pickles please.

12. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 16, 2011 at 05:38 #

Haha you are brilliant Mardi! I love it and I love how you get inspiration from everywhere! :D

13. penny aka jeroxie January 16, 2011 at 06:24 #

you are surely the macqueen now! hot dog macs… hats off :D

14. Trix January 16, 2011 at 08:14 #

Ok, Miss Mardi if I am the gnocchi queen then you are the macaron EMPRESS! These are beyond cute, and the colors are out of this world.

15. Conor @ Hold the Beef January 16, 2011 at 08:31 #

Tee hee to these! I think you could macaronise anything. This is quite an impressive super power to have. Some yearn for flight, others want to be invisible, but they do not realise the power of the clever macaron. It’s power is mighty, and these are mighty cute.

16. Paula January 16, 2011 at 09:07 #

You have got to be the first person ever to be this inventive with a macaron! Love how your creative mind works Mardi.

17. Kate @ Diethood.com January 16, 2011 at 10:05 #

Oh my goodness…that’s brilliant!!!

18. Heather @girlichef January 16, 2011 at 10:31 #

How fun! They’re too cute :)

19. Sarah, Maison Cupcake January 16, 2011 at 10:33 #

Those are so clever, I love them. Much better than a jelly version I reckon!

20. Lora January 16, 2011 at 10:55 #

How cute are these! I’ll take two with relish and onions please.

21. sara @CaffeIna January 16, 2011 at 11:07 #

You got very creative on this one, Mardi! Great job.

22. cat January 16, 2011 at 11:30 #

i like the way you went with this hot dog challenge!

23. Daydreamer Desserts January 16, 2011 at 11:31 #

They turned out perfectly, love the look of all the condiments drizzled over the marshmallow fondant!

24. Lawyer Loves Lunch January 16, 2011 at 11:34 #

These are adorable! I love the bright orange fondant :)

25. Ayngelina January 16, 2011 at 11:37 #

I´m not a big fan of hot dogs but recently I found a place that was famous for selling shredded hot dog as a topping for hot dog. Genius!

26. Shirley January 16, 2011 at 11:47 #

Wow! I’m speechless!

27. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz January 16, 2011 at 13:28 #

Great minds think alike, we both went for a sweet rendition. Trade you a macaron for a fondant ;-)

28. Christina January 16, 2011 at 19:47 #

These are so stinkin’ cute!

29. Nancy@acommunaltable January 16, 2011 at 20:33 #

Those are adorable!! Have to say that would never have crossed my mind – they would be perfect though for a sports party!

30. Brian @ A Thought For Food January 16, 2011 at 22:33 #

I didn’t know where you were going with this post… but now… now I’m just so incredibly impressed!

Great job, Mardi!

31. Tracey@Tangled Noodle January 16, 2011 at 22:38 #

M’dear, you have a way with macarons! I have yet to make a single one and you’re making them to look like other foods (and precious ones, at that!) In awe… 8-)

32. CK January 17, 2011 at 00:17 #

These are amazing. Very clever. Love the bold colours of the fillings. How crazy are those gummi hotdogs too?!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite January 17, 2011 at 20:11 #

Yes the gummi hotdogs are intriguing though I don’t think I am nearly clever enough to make them!

33. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 18, 2011 at 20:59 #

These are just adorable! You are very smart :)

34. anna January 19, 2011 at 14:05 #

That’s such a cute idea! I love when people get really creative with macarons.

35. Dina January 20, 2011 at 10:12 #

those are really cute!

36. Mark January 20, 2011 at 11:32 #

Yes! You made my day. Thanks.

37. Nancy/SpicieFoodie January 20, 2011 at 18:32 #

How cute are these? I love your take on this month’s IIParty, really unique.

38. Cathy at Wives with Knives January 24, 2011 at 10:29 #

What a very clever interpretation of this month’s mac challenge! I never think to make macarons in any other shape than round. Guess I should start thinking outside the box. Hot dog macarons – love it!

39. Karen January 27, 2011 at 01:02 #

Awesome interpretation – I love it!

40. Agnes January 29, 2011 at 04:57 #

Hahaha – they are SO CUTE! I love them! :D

(And I totally love those gummy hot dogs… sad to say!)

41. HI Cookery June 1, 2011 at 14:27 #

Saw your hot dog macs earlier but always thought they were the cutest things, especially for the Mactweets ball park snacks theme. Bet they taste way better than hot dogs, too!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention International Incident Party: Hot Dogs -- Topsy.com - January 15, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jackie Lee, hungrybuds and What She's Having, merrygourmet. merrygourmet said: Love them!! RT @eatlivtravwrite: Are they hot dogs? http://bit.ly/fvwn01#fbz #iip [...]

2. Roundup of Sweets That Look Like Hot Dogs - July 23, 2012

[...] Pops by Cupcake Addition        Hot Dog Cupcakes by Purplicious      Hot Dog Macarons by eat. live. travel. write.      Hot Dog and Beer Sugar Cookies by Bake at 350     Hot Dog Cakes by Sweet Twist of [...]