Frosting for the Cause: Faux-vo biscuits

3 iced faux vos 2

I am thrilled to be participating in Paula of Vanilla Bean Bake’s Frosting for the Cause project.  “What is that?” you ask:

Beginning January 1, 2011 a total of 365 sugar cookie & cupcake bakers/decorators and bloggers from across Canada and the United States will take turns doing a guest post at Frosting for the Cause. Once a day, every day for a year you will be treated to a new and talented blogger who will showcase their home-made, hand-decorated cookies or cupcakes together with their recipes.  By signing onto this project every guest baker/blogger has committed to not only donating a batch of their cookies or cupcakes to their local Women’s Hospice but they have also committed to making a personal $25.00 donation to either the Canadian or American Cancer Society to be directed to research projects that are working diligently to find cures specifically for cancers that affect only women.  Through the generous volunteer commitment of the 365 guest bakers on Frosting for the Cause, we will not only raise awareness of all of the cancers that currently affect women, but we will raise a total of $9,125 alone for research into these diseases.

I signed up almost immediately, even though I am not really a baker – I still wanted to to contribute to this worthy cause.

The inspiration for my contribution actually came about whilst I was in Mexico over the holidays…  Head on over to Frosting for the Cause for the recipe and inspiration behind this “symphony in pink” and maybe join up yourself?

Frosting for the Cause

, , ,

57 Responses to Frosting for the Cause: Faux-vo biscuits

1. Belinda @zomppa January 11, 2011 at 07:45 #

Those are like the fancy dresses you ogle through the window, but can’t afford. Gorgeous!

2. Liz January 11, 2011 at 07:47 #

Thanks for sharing this great cause, Mardi…I’m popping over to the site to check it out!

3. Jason Phelps January 11, 2011 at 08:40 #

Mardi,

Thank you so much for joining in the fight. After I was diagnosed with cancer in 2003 I found I wanted to give back. I joined forces with the Lance Armstrong Foundation and more recently the American Cancer Society organizing a fundraising and advocacy team made up of my family and friends. Every year we walk around a track for 18 hours at our local Relay For Life and later in the year don our pink for the Making Strides Against breat cancer event. Our scrappy team has raised over $72,000 since then and have our eyes set on $100k!!!

I didn’t use my blog to help in the fight last year but that won’t be true this year. We will be planning several virtual events (including a wine tweetup) to spread the word and help raise money for the fight. Once I get my first post up at the end of the week I will be putting out the call for people to spread the word about what we are doing and join in. I bet I don’t even have to ask if you would help spread that word. You already are!

In my time as an advocate I have addressed my state legislature about funding cancer programs, been the speaker at a number of educational events, had the honor of accpeting awards for our Relay’s overall performance in our region, and am always a welcome cheerleader to whip up our Relay For Life participants. We all have ways to give back and I wouldn’t be the person I am today if it wasn’t for cancer and the choices it asked me to make.

In 2005 I coined a battle cry for my team and I say it all the time as a reminder of what we are up against.

“We are here, we are fighting, and WE WILL WIN! We must have HOPE!”

Jason

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite January 14, 2011 at 18:21 #

Thanks for sharing your story Jason. I am pleased you will be using your blog to raise awareness and funds this year. You guys are doing amazingly on the $ raised – bravo!

4. Mr. Neil January 11, 2011 at 08:47 #

I’ll reserve comment on the cancer-philanthropy industry…and just say kudos to all for having their hearts in the right places.

I laughed out loud, as I know PRECISELY what the inspiration for these are. And can I just say Mardi’s interpretation is much-improved over the confections we saw in the store.

5. Kori January 11, 2011 at 09:05 #

What a great cause! And what great cookies. I love the pink!

6. Evan Thomas January 11, 2011 at 09:24 #

It’s such a great cause, and these cookies look delicious! Very professional.

7. Cakewhiz January 11, 2011 at 10:05 #

Great cause and beautiful cookies!

8. Kate @ Diethood.com January 11, 2011 at 11:50 #

Oh wow, what a great cause! Bravo!

Your cookies deserve a Bravo, too! They look so gooood!

9. sara @CaffeIna January 11, 2011 at 14:37 #

Mardi, as always you impress me not just for being a great blogger but also for having a great heart! I did not know of this initiative. I’m so going to check it out and bookmark the page. Thanks for sharing with us this recipe and the link.

10. Lael Hazan @educatedpalate January 11, 2011 at 15:44 #

Great photos and great idea! Kudos on being part of something that assists others. I’m off to check out the recipe.

11. Felice - All That's Left Are The Crumbs January 11, 2011 at 16:32 #

I love iced vo-vo’s but I don”t live in Australia now so I can’t get them. Thanks for providing a recipe and for helping a great cause. I will have to look into Frosting for the Cause.

12. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 11, 2011 at 16:53 #

Bravo! These look lovely :)

13. Christina January 11, 2011 at 17:13 #

These are so pretty! Thank you for making a difference!

14. Beth January 11, 2011 at 20:29 #

What a great idea! Looking forward to checking it out.

15. Nancy@acommunaltable January 11, 2011 at 20:35 #

Not a baker?? I respectfully disagree.. these look wonderful!!!

It’s also a wonderful cause… bravo to you and everyone for supporting it!!

16. doughmesstic January 11, 2011 at 23:46 #

I always lurk but never comment – I just wanted to say how wonderful I think you are for participating in this project. The treats look heavenly as well! Such a pretty color! I’m sure many people will be touched by your baking – whether through research funding or from simply recreating these beauties for themselves!
    Great work.

17. Paula January 12, 2011 at 00:33 #

Hi Mardi ~ Just wanted to express my heart-felt thanks for your wonderful participation in our project. Your post today was beautiful and I appreciate that you took the time to bake this wonderful treat and share your story on how you decided to make them. Today we had 10 more people sign up and I have to think that not only your write-up here, but your guest post on the Frosting for the Cause sight had a lot to do with it! Thank you so much for volunteering to ♥bake♥ a difference.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite January 14, 2011 at 18:17 #

Thank YOU so much for organising this whole project! Was fun! Can’t wait to participate again with Les Petits Chefs!

18. sara January 12, 2011 at 01:45 #

So cute! I love these…very pretty and they look delicious. :)

19. Conor @ Hold the Beef January 12, 2011 at 01:56 #

A fantastic cause, well done for getting involved.

Hilarious inspiration too, LOVE IT. I cannot think of Iced Vovos without thinking of this…

20. mademoiselle délicieuse January 12, 2011 at 05:42 #

You know what, I’m ashamed to admit that I didn’t like these one little bit as a kid. They kind of grew on me in my early twenties but what I’m absolutely loving is the name – “faux vo’s”! Brilliant.

21. cat January 12, 2011 at 15:38 #

great cause. great baked goods. awesome blogger. :)c

22. Chef Dennis January 13, 2011 at 06:07 #

What a wonderful cause to be a part of!! Kudos to you and the group!
    Now those lovely treats that you made are calling to me!!!
    I wish I had a few right now on this cold cold morning….sigh
    Congrats on your top 9 today!
    Dennis

23. Happy When Not Hungry January 13, 2011 at 09:16 #

Wow those look delicious and so beautiful too! Thanks for sharing… I just signed up and am so happy to contribute to this wonderful cause!

24. sweetsugarbelle January 13, 2011 at 10:23 #

How awesome! I know these cookies! I am in far west Tx and they are a staple. But you just took them over the moon! The look amazing!!! High five from tx!

25. Judy January 13, 2011 at 10:30 #

Congratulations on your Top 9 today!

26. whatsfordinneracrossstatelines January 13, 2011 at 11:06 #

Thank you for sharing this. I will go over and check it out. I thought these are adorable, I can’t believe you are a non-baker. That is an amazing amount of money you group has raised, congrats!
    -Gina-

27. claire Gallam January 13, 2011 at 11:30 #

What a fabulous cause!!! These look gorgeous and that photo is wonderful :) Congrats on the top 9!

28. briarrose January 13, 2011 at 15:02 #

A wonderful reason to bake. :) These are just charming.

29. Maria January 13, 2011 at 16:54 #

Pretty little bites for an important cause. I am heading over to the site to get the details now!

30. Shari January 13, 2011 at 17:09 #

As an Australian, I applaud you for your efforts at making what is one of Australia’s most iconic biscuits and introducing them to the world. I LOVE Iced Vo-vos, they should be found in every child’s lunchbox as a Friday treat!

Shari from http://www.goodfoodweek.blogspot.com

31. Sheens January 13, 2011 at 17:39 #

I haven’t had iced vovo’s in such a long time, but I’m certain these are much better that the store bought version. And it’s good to see so much support for a worthy cause.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Frosting for the Cause: Faux-vo biscuits -- Topsy.com - January 11, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mardi, hungrybuds. hungrybuds said: Frosting for the Cause: Faux-vo biscuits: I am thrilled to be participating in Paula of Vanilla Bean Bake‘s Fros… http://bit.ly/gDwPsS [...]