Mulled wine poached pears

I hope those of you who celebrate Christmas had the most wonderful weekend with your families.  Neil and I are currently in El Fuerte, Mexico, at the start of our trip into the Copper Canyon.  We spent Christmas eve aboard the California Star travelling from Pichilingue to Topolobampo, eating possibly the worst meal of our trip so far with a hefty side of Dramamine (for me). Thankfully we had our own cabin and I got to nap it off.  We ate Christmas eve dinner and Christmas dinner in Los Mochis, not the world’s most exciting town but it’s all an adventure, right?

Posting a recipe for fruit today  was a deliberate choice since I realise you all may be looking for lighter dishes, especially desserts, after holiday indulgences and I love that you can buy pears into December.  Pears were the one fruit I had not posted about for my generous IFBC sponsor, the Ontario Tender Fruit Producers and I was pleased to have found a lighter, yet still festive way to serve them!

For our recent President’s Choice party, we served a version of Jamie Oliver’s mulled wine and as it was, well, mulling, I tossed in two pears that I had on hand and poached them in the spiced wine.  A perfect, light, yet flavourful dessert, I served it with a thicker custard than the traditional crème anglaise I usually serve poached pears with because it reminds me of childhood Christmas when we would get to eat custard whilst the grown ups ate the plum pudding :-)

I simply added the pears at the beginning of the process and they came out perfectly.  Christmassy, yet light at the same time. The best combination. Try it – you’ll enjoy it!

40 Responses to Mulled wine poached pears

1. Blog is the New Black December 27, 2010 at 05:57 #

Beautiful picture. This sounds wonderful! :)

2. Belinda @zomppa December 27, 2010 at 08:42 #

Definitely festive – hope you are having a splendid time!

3. Paula December 27, 2010 at 09:14 #

Love how you say *I tossed in two pears that I had on hand…* The poached pear looks great yet I doubt, should I ever poach pears that they would look this lovely.
    Enjoying your tweets and photos from your Christmas holiday. All the best to you and Neil for a fantastic 2011.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 29, 2010 at 18:47 #

The poached pears are the easiest dessert ever – yet they make it look like you have spent ages in the kitchen!

• Mr. Neil January 6, 2011 at 10:02 #

Well, easy when you have a huge honking pot of mulled wine on the go… ;-)

4. Lori Lynn December 27, 2010 at 11:20 #

Hi Mardi – We made that same trip several years ago at Christmas time. It was awesome. We stayed at the El Fuerte Lodge, and that is where I was inspired to make a different style of tortilla soup, which I call Estillo El Fuerte.
    And we had spent Christmas in Batopilas at the tiny Hotel Mary, right next to the church…the bells ringing at midnight was magical…I hope you share some photos when you return.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    LL

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 29, 2010 at 18:49 #

We loved El Fuerte but didn’t make it as far as Batopilas. We’re loving the Copper Canyon and yes, there will be posts and recipes inspired by this trip coming soon on eltw!!

5. Barida December 27, 2010 at 11:46 #

Hi,
    Thanks so much for the recipe. Lighter desserts/main courses are definitely what I am looking for these days after Christmas! I normally do this recipe with Port wine instead of the red wine but I think i might try with Chianti next time ;-) Cheers

6. Mindy December 27, 2010 at 12:58 #

This looks delicious. I’ve been meaning to try poached pears and haven’t yet, but what a good choice for January.

7. Roxan December 27, 2010 at 15:18 #

Wow look at the color of the pear after it’s been poached, beautiful! What a great idea to poach them in mulled wine – perfect for the holidays. I drank a lot of that when I was in england for christmas last year.

8. Felice December 27, 2010 at 16:54 #

I had a similar dessert in a restaurant recently and have been looking for a recipe to replicate it. This looks delicious and I love the addition of the custard. Thanks!

9. Trix December 27, 2010 at 17:18 #

Indeed, it is all an adventure! Looking forward to reading about this trip – a Mexican excursion is on my (very very very long) list of destinations. The color on the pear is so vibrant!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 29, 2010 at 18:52 #

Well if you ever want any advice, Neil has travelled all around Mexico and I can certainly give you pointers about this trip!

10. penny aka jeroxie December 27, 2010 at 19:48 #

that colour is just amazing!!

11. Anna Johnston December 27, 2010 at 21:45 #

Oh yes please! I love the good old pears in wine, so I know I’ll like this too…, just the thing for this time of year… festive & a really classy dessert. Thanks Mardi, hope the rest of your trip steps up in the food department, but got to agree with you, its all about the adventure :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 29, 2010 at 18:53 #

Yes it’s so classy – yet easy! That’s why I love it! Actually that was our only bad meal of the trip so we’re doing ok in the food dept so far!

12. Nancy@acommunaltable December 27, 2010 at 22:39 #

Mardi,

So sorry you were a bit seasick – that is truly no fun! Hope it didn’t spoil your holiday too much! Beautiful poached pear with custard sauce – this is one of my favorite winter desserts – after a rich and filling meal they are just right!!

Can’t wait to hear more about your adventures in Mexico!!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 29, 2010 at 18:53 #

Oh no, I was back on the food later that day! Thankfully! Fingers crossed it’s the only time I will be sick on this trip!

• Mr. Neil January 6, 2011 at 10:05 #

…and that was during a QUIET crossing!

13. Kate @ Diethood.com December 27, 2010 at 22:48 #

Oh wow, the photo looks amazing! I’m sure it tastes just as good as it looks.

14. Daydreamer Desserts December 28, 2010 at 01:14 #

Sorry to hear you had to go through a bit of a rough time there… hopefully things will pick up and your meals will be better tasting and the trip more enjoyable! Hugs…

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 29, 2010 at 18:54 #

Oh no it was literally just that one day which I was kinda sorta expecting anyway. Meals have been fabulous and inspiring!

15. Jean December 28, 2010 at 11:12 #

That is one gorgeous poached pear–so elegant and yes, I also need lighter fare after all the binge eating.

Happy New Year and safe travels. Been enjoying your travel tweets. :-)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 29, 2010 at 18:55 #

Cheers – and this is the perfect dessert to make you feel you are indulging but not really!

16. Elizabeth December 28, 2010 at 22:50 #

Pears with crème anglaise sounds delightful. Pears are so amazing when cooked. My mom has made it a habit over the past few months to make maple-braised pears. They’re fantastic on their own but even more decadent with some freshly whipped cream.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 29, 2010 at 18:55 #

Ummm – ok – now I *need* to make maple braised pears immediately on returning from Mexico! YUM!

17. Maria December 29, 2010 at 21:22 #

I love these types of desserts but have never ventured to make them … don’t know why because this looks divine!

18. cat January 2, 2011 at 17:11 #

easy, tasty, and beautiful – a perfect dessert!

19. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 3, 2011 at 22:26 #

Yum! I have a bottle of spiced wine that would be perfect for this!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Mulled wine poached pears: I hope those of you who celebrate Christmas has the most wonderful weekend with your ... -- Topsy.com - December 27, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Lola's Kitchen. Lola's Kitchen said: Mulled wine poached pears: I hope those of you who celebrate Christmas has the most wonderful weekend with your … http://bit.ly/hYf2uC [...]