Kitchen Bootcamp 7: Hors d’oeuvres

For this month’s Kitchen Bootcamp, Jen challenged us to get creative with hors d’oeuvres. It’s a perfect time of the year to experiment with new hors d’oeuvres recipes – there’s always some gathering or other to bring food to!

This month, I have chosen to share the recipe I used for one of my Project Food Blog entries: Pumpkin Cornbread Cubes with Cranberries and Gruyère.  I used a recipe from the Joy of Cooking that I adapted actually so I hope Jen doesn’t mind!

I’ve made these bread cubes before - for Kitchen Bootcamp as well, but loved the way these came out with quick pumpkin cornbread – they’re so festive for the holidays!

I also wanted to share another fabulous hors d’oeuvre I came up with recently – a mini wonton “pizza” with Asian mushrooms but you’ll have to head over to the Mushroom Channel to get that recipe. It’s SO easy and such a nice change from the sometimes heavy flavours of the season.  You can find the recipe here.

Want to join us working through the chapters of the Professional Chef? Check out the Kitchen Bootcamp page here and buy The Professional Chef on Amazon.ca or Amazon.com.

36 Responses to Kitchen Bootcamp 7: Hors d’oeuvres

1. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen December 22, 2010 at 05:17 #

Pumpkin cornbread cubes filled with cheese! Wow, what a great combination and totally seasonal. Those would be good with cocktails, a little salty and a little sweet.

2. Belinda @zomppa December 22, 2010 at 07:57 #

I don’t know which I like better – can I grab a couple of those?

3. Nicole @ Making Good Choices December 22, 2010 at 08:20 #

I love how different these appetizers are, they are so unique! Hope you are enjoying your vacation.

4. Ayngelina December 22, 2010 at 09:32 #

I love this idea! I’ve bookmarked it for next year when I have access to all of these ingredients.

5. Maria December 22, 2010 at 09:38 #

Gorgeous little bites of food! Unique and flavorful indeed.

6. Island Vittles December 22, 2010 at 11:41 #

I love how unique both of your offerings are! The bread cubes are a great idea, and I can already see how versatile they can be…sweet, savoury, you name it! Theresa

7. Trix December 22, 2010 at 11:58 #

Yes, well, the nice thing about little bites is you can eat a ton of them. … um, right? I will head over to the Mushroom Channel, I really like those little pizzas of yours. But then, you seem to have a way with coming up with fun variations on pizza, don’t you!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 25, 2010 at 08:48 #

Well I had a bit of practice during PFB! But I was really pleased with how the wonton ones came out here!

8. Kate @ Diethood.com December 22, 2010 at 14:08 #

These look delicious! I love entertaining so I am definitely going to try these. Thanks for sharing.

9. Stephanie December 22, 2010 at 15:13 #

These are definitely creative hors d’oeuvres! I love that you used pumpkin in savory recipe too – there’s always so many sweet recipes, but it can be wonderful as a savory ingredient. I would definitely eat a lot of these if they were at a holiday party!

10. saltyseattle December 22, 2010 at 17:16 #

Look at you, Mardi- getting over your pumpkin fears and all!

11. Jason Phelps December 22, 2010 at 20:11 #

Both of the appetizers look great and I am sure would taste great. The problem is that I doubt I have the chops to make them as good as you did. I guess that means I have to invite you to our next cocktail party!

Jason

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 25, 2010 at 08:46 #

LOL. I thought they would be hard to make but they are actually much easier than they look. Which is a good thing – you want people to think you have been slaving in the kitchen!

12. Chris December 22, 2010 at 22:53 #

Wow…those Pumpkin cornbread need to come with a fabulousness warning! I am not worthy! LOL

13. zenchef December 23, 2010 at 22:45 #

I’m always looking for new hors-d’oeuvres ideas for my job and those are great ideas. If i use them do i have to pay you royalties? :P Nicely done, Mardi. And a Merry Christmas to you!

14. penny aka jeroxie December 24, 2010 at 01:00 #

The wonton pizza is really interesting. Merry Christmas sweetie!

15. Jamie December 24, 2010 at 11:09 #

Both fabulous but WOW those cornbread cubes are fabulous and perfect for a holiday party. Or for eating in front of the tv. Anytime. LOVE them! Happy Happy Holidays, dear Mardi! xo

16. Christine @ Fresh Local and Best December 25, 2010 at 12:25 #

This hors d’oeuvres would be perfect to serve during winter entertaining. The melted cheese reminds me of snow, and the cranberry makes me think of Rudolph the red nosed raindeer’s nose.

Merry Christmas Mardi! I’m really looking forward to reconnected with you in March.

17. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction December 26, 2010 at 19:24 #

You did such a good job with this challenge… I did not. I made roasted nuts. That is all. Thanks for participating!

18. Elizabeth December 26, 2010 at 21:03 #

Wow, those cornbread cubes look delicious. Definitely one of the most unique and original hors d’oeuvres I’ve ever seen.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Kitchen Bootcamp Roundup – Hors d’Oeuvre and Appetizers | my kitchen addiction - December 29, 2010

[...] Mardi of eat. live. travel. write. outdid herself this month with two stunning and fabulous appetizers.  If I ever have a big party that requires appetizers, I will have to fly her down here from Canada to prepare them for me! Check out her post to see her Pumpkin Cornbread Cubes and Mushroom Wonton Pizzas. [...]