International holiday cookie recipe exchange!

I love a good cookie exchange but since I don’t exactly need tons more sweets in the house, I was thrilled to happen upon the International Holiday Cookie Exchange, organised by Adrienne of Gastroanthropology and Lori of Fake Food Free. Participating bloggers were assigned a partner who sent them a recipe to make and post about by December 15th. A roundup of the goodies will be up later this week and I can’t wait to see what everyone made!  I sent the recipe for Cranberry Pistachio Blondies to Michele at 5am Foodie and her post is beautiful!

I received the very unique recipe for Beijos de Dama from Valentina at Trembom. I had never tried them before so it was a fun project. I decided to put my own spin on the recipe, using peanuts instead of Brazil nuts because I liked the idea of a peanut shortbread dipped in or drizzled with chocolate!

I actually had a lot of trouble with this recipe – I found it to be super dry and ended up adding an extra egg yolk to the mix. It was still pretty crumbly but I managed to roll the dough and cut it.  They are pretty “shortbread-y” but overall I was really pleased with how they came out.  The peanut flavour is subtle and does not hit you over the head and the chocolate (I used semi-sweet) a perfect hit of sweetness.

These are cookies you won’t want to share, but since t’is the season and all, I am bringing them to work to share with colleagues today. Because we can all use some cookies on the third last day before the winter holidays, right?

52 Responses to International holiday cookie recipe exchange!

1. Mina @ Angellove's Cooking December 13, 2010 at 05:36 #

Incredible!! The cookies look so tasty and tempting :)

2. eatgreek.net December 13, 2010 at 06:23 #

they look perfect! may I have some??? (^_^)

3. Michele AKA 5am Foodie December 13, 2010 at 06:32 #

I love making shortbread and sugar cookies and am always trying out new twists on recipes, but have never made peanut ones before. Given that I love peanuts and chocolate together, I will have to try these out. Your photos are gorgeous and I would quite like to eat one of them right now!

4. awyna December 13, 2010 at 07:17 #

They look wonderful! Thanks for sharing ~ FaithRider

5. cat December 13, 2010 at 07:54 #

they look lovely and sound delicious! i always love trying new things this time of year. it’s a good time to pick up new recipes!

6. Belinda @zomppa December 13, 2010 at 08:13 #

You’re way more generous than me – I would eat them all myself! Is it really almost the holidays??

7. Kate @ Diethood December 13, 2010 at 09:00 #

These are adorable. And they look delicious!

8. Brian @ A Thought For Food December 13, 2010 at 10:34 #

I’m not normally a fan of crunchy cookies, but in the winter, there’s nothing I love more than a cup of tea and a biscuit or a cookie.

9. Paula December 13, 2010 at 10:50 #

Your co-workers are going to be delighted with you yet again. The shortbread looks great and your photo presentation is beautiful. Checked Michele’s post too and she did a great job with your blondies recipe. Lovely post.

10. Quay Po Cooks December 13, 2010 at 11:34 #

Stunning photos and very festive looking cookies!

11. K A B L O O E Y December 13, 2010 at 12:02 #

They look very delicious. And I agree — the photos are beautiful. I’m going to make a cup of coffee right now so I can virtually dunk them.

12. Trix December 13, 2010 at 13:54 #

I like short-bready cookies, I think I would definitely like these. Lovely photos. (And thank you for your comment about Pete on my blog, I am blown away at the support I got.)

13. veggietestkitchen December 13, 2010 at 14:11 #

That sounds like a fun idea!!! I hope I remember this for next year. I was thinking it would be cool to do a foodie book club after the holidays are over and we all get our lives back, but logistically it would be difficult to ‘discuss’ books so to speak. It might be nice to do it like Dorie Greenspan’s? The booksellers would love that I bet. They would get a spike in sales that day for sure! Maybe they would sponsor us.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 16, 2010 at 08:03 #

I love the idea of a foodie book club but am not sure I could cope with the time commitment for that….

14. Amera December 13, 2010 at 14:42 #

This is such a fantastic idea! I love it!

15. Maria December 13, 2010 at 16:38 #

Those truly look delicious!

16. Liana @ femme fraiche December 13, 2010 at 17:47 #

That’s so fun! I can’t wait to see the round up

17. gastroanthropologist December 13, 2010 at 18:12 #

I’ve always got peanuts at home and love the idea of a peanut shortbread! Love the shapes and they look so festive.

18. Nancy@acommunaltable December 13, 2010 at 20:25 #

These sound wonderful and they look beautiful – what an absolutely great idea to do a “recipe” cookie exchange!!!

19. Jason Phelps December 13, 2010 at 21:29 #

It looks like you recovered from any culinary malfunctions and enjoyed your exchange experience. The first picture is so festive!

Jason

20. sara @CaffeIna December 13, 2010 at 21:56 #

What a fun project! We have the same cookies you got to make in Italy (baci di dama) but it is true….they can be weird cookies if you don’t have the right recipe. Once I tried to make them and mine instead totally smashed. You did a great job. I’m glad you were able to fix the recipe :)

21. Anna Johnston December 13, 2010 at 22:14 #

Now that’s a fun thing to do and a great project. Your cookies look superb, now….. could you please pass me one ;)

22. Barbara Bakes December 13, 2010 at 22:34 #

They look so delicious dipped and drizzle in chocolate. The cookie exchange is a great idea!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 16, 2010 at 07:59 #

Isn’t it great? You get to try out a new recipe and don’t end up with 15 000 cookies to eat!

23. Erika December 13, 2010 at 23:10 #

I will happily send you my address if you prefer not to eat too many of these. We have many hungry cookie eaters at our house. :)

24. penny aka jeroxie December 14, 2010 at 04:17 #

Oh! Missed out on this! Will loved to have joined… another time I hope. Now I shall wait for the round up for all the cookie ideas.

25. diva December 14, 2010 at 08:39 #

Lovely Christmas cookies. Just reading your dry dough issue, funny I was having the same issue with some pastry dough today. Ugh. :) Glad these turned out good. I feel like a cookie now.

26. Joy December 14, 2010 at 15:08 #

This looks so good. I love the recipe.

27. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction December 14, 2010 at 21:58 #

Those cookies look lovely! I love the pretty chocolate drizzle.

28. valentina December 14, 2010 at 23:27 #

Oh, I love your touch to this recipe. They are indeed very shortbread like. Brazil nuts are a tad oilier than peanut butter. The chocolate addition just dressed them up very pretty indeed, and the start shape gives it a lovely holiday feel. I am heading home for the holidays and I will definitely be making those with my mom. o ) Love family baking – don’t get much of an opportunity to do that. Happy Xmas to you and yours!! Lucky the ones who are getting some cookies.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 16, 2010 at 07:58 #

Yes I wondered about the oil content being the culprit but I am glad I worked it out in the end! Thanks for the recipe!

29. Daydreamer Desserts December 15, 2010 at 15:08 #

How very nice of you to share these little marvels with your colleagues, however I think they would be appreciated even more by a certain little person who doesn’t get to enjoy a winter break from work. [hint, hint] :)

30. Lori@FakeFoodFree December 17, 2010 at 23:07 #

Love your photos and the festive display. The cookies look so great and I like your creative twist. Thanks so much for participating!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tasty Tuesday – Sugar Plum Fairy Sweets & Treats | Welcome to the 4virtu Blog - December 14, 2010

[...] Travel Write participated in an International Holiday Cookie Exchange and prepared a recipe for Beijos de Dama which is like a peanut shortbread dipped in chocolate.  Follow the links in her post for even more [...]