French Fridays with Dorie: Spiced butter-glazed carrots

I normally would not write a whole blog post about a side dish but trust me, like all of Dorie’s dishes, this is a winner and deserves a whole post of its own!  This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe is from page 335 and if you haven’t completely decided on your Christmas side dishes, I highly recommend this one.

I live with someone who only eats carrots when they are raw and serves with a dip (preferably spicy) yet his comment was “I really hate cooked carrots but these were really good!” and when asked if he would eat them again if I cooked them, responded with a resounding “yes!” So I would say they are a success.

The unique flavourings come from a healthy amount of garlic and ginger and some cardamon seeds which just add that little exotic touch.  The carrots are cooked in a liquid then reduced until nothing is left but the buttery spicy coating and they are utterly delectable. I could have eaten the whole dish on my own!

We ate these with some of our leftover beef daube and I added a little bit of thyme as I served it, just to tie in the flavours of the two dishes but I could see this working with pretty much ANY meat dish.  I love the technique so much I will be using it again and might try changing up the spice combination next time. Or not. They were pretty darned perfect. And pretty. Which is not something you think of necessarily when you think “carrots”. Thanks again Dorie!

Want to join in the fun? Join French Fridays with Dorie here and follow along on Twitter.

A few people have asked for recipes from my French Fridays with Dorie entries.  The group does not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we would prefer it if you would purchase the book yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon (great price right now) or here on Amazon Canada (it’s also on special!).  Go on, treat yourself for Christmas and join us in the new year!

33 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Spiced butter-glazed carrots

1. Kate @ Diethood.com December 24, 2010 at 09:20 #

Dorie’s food is so good! I don’t doubt the taste of these carrots – they sound amazing!

2. Liz December 24, 2010 at 12:05 #

SO pretty with the sprinkling of herbs!

3. Karen December 24, 2010 at 12:11 #

Glad these turned out so well. Your photos are perfect! :)

4. tasteofbeirut December 24, 2010 at 12:56 #

I am sure these carrots taste wonderful! I use the same method, taught by my mother who lived 15 years in France, but never used these spices with the carrots.

5. Sis Boom December 24, 2010 at 14:49 #

I wasn’t going to make these but my ears perked up at the mention of Thyme. I can be convinced.
    Trevor Sis. Boom.

6. K A B L O O E Y December 25, 2010 at 12:02 #

I read the beginning thinking “don’t like cooked csrrots”, so I was in agreement with Mr. Neil, but then, he loved these, so likely so will I. That would be a first time for me, but I trust you and Neil.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 29, 2010 at 18:41 #

You can definitely trust us on this one – promise!! Even Mooch would love these!

• Mr. Neil January 6, 2011 at 09:59 #

And truly, I do NOT like cooked carrots… ;-)

7. Andrea@High/Low December 25, 2010 at 22:35 #

That carrot dish looks so beautiful – vibrant enough to brighten a cold wintry day!

8. Jackie December 25, 2010 at 22:43 #

I had to comment on this because I’ve just received Dorie’s book for Christmas and I can’t wait to get stuck in and start cooking! Squee! You’re my inspiration for requesting her for Christmas, y’know Ms. Mardi ;)

Jax x

9. Chef Dennis December 26, 2010 at 07:07 #

I just bought Dorie’s new cookbook as a present to myself! I love those carrots, I should make those at school for my girls, I am always trying to get them to eat more veggies!!
    Congrats on the top 9 !!
    Dennis

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 29, 2010 at 18:40 #

I think I might use some of Dories recipes with my boys’ cooking club in Term 3 actually! You shoudl try these on your girls – I am sure they would love them!

10. Trix December 26, 2010 at 10:40 #

The book is bought and I’m looking forward to playing along in January … but first you must explain to me how you manage to squeeze 48 hours worth of activity into 12 hours – I am serious!! Your carrots look great, and congrats on Top 9!

11. Victoria December 26, 2010 at 11:46 #

Wow, these carrots do look amazing!! I had wanted to add some carrots to our Christmas menu, but we didn’t end up making any. I think this dish would have been perfect! Maybe next time :)

12. StephIrey December 26, 2010 at 15:23 #

I’m so hoping these carrots convert my cooked carrots loathing boys too! Yours look so bright and yummy! I’m really looking forward to making them this week.

13. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction December 26, 2010 at 19:43 #

These carrots look lovely! I love to make carrot “noodles” with lots of ginger and garlic, so the flavor in these would be perfect!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 29, 2010 at 18:38 #

That sounds lovely Jen – I will remember that when I get home and am in dire need of veggies!

14. penny aka jeroxie December 27, 2010 at 04:40 #

love simple side dishes. tempted to get the book but have so many that I have not even made anything. need to go slow..

15. Lana December 27, 2010 at 04:44 #

Your carrots look adorable! But, I love your photos, anyway. The combination of the spices intrigues me, and I am looking forward to making the carrots next week. I hope you are enjoying yourself thoroughly in Mexico!

16. KY December 30, 2010 at 22:36 #

Your carrots look so pretty and I love the touch of thyme on them!

17. cat January 2, 2011 at 17:12 #

i’m with neil on carrots in general, but these look like they might make me change my mind!