Les Petits Chefs make healthy brown rice muffins

Last week in cooking club, my petits chefs helped me test one more recipe from my generous IFBC sponsor, USA Rice.

I had been intrigued by the “Bountiful Brown Rice Muffins” ever since I saw the recipe and since I am always looking for healthy recipes the boys might be able (and want) to make themselves at home, I figured it was worth a go.

Surprisingly, noone balked at using rice in a sweet treat – I explained that it was a little bit like using oats in muffins or cookies and they were satisfied. They really are a bunch of open-minded little boys, I am so proud of them!

We’ve had a few new faces join the club after Term 1 sports finished and instead of it being more chaotic, it’s actually lovely. With the muffins, I had four different stations on the go and the boys just worked away at their tasks.  I try to be fair and make sure the same people aren’t always doing the zesting (for example) though Ritvik and Marcel were quite enamoured with the idea of using the Microplane again.  And yes, there were questions about why we weren’t using the Magic Bullet to chop the walnuts.

The disappointment about not using the Bullet quickly subsided when the electric beaters came out. Much excitement. Really? I should just  bring these gadgets into the classroom for added fun in French!   Some of the simplest things make these kids happy :-)

We added a few more raspberries than the recipe called for.

Craziness ensued when it came time to fill the muffin pans..

Result?

Surprisingly delicious!  And this is not just me saying it – I handed leftovers to four staff members who enjoyed them hot out of the oven.  I froze mine for a couple of days and then reheated in a slow oven and they were delicious then as well.  The boys gobbled them up I hear. And apparently “you couldn’t even tell they were healthy”. So I would say that’s a resounding success, huh?

I am thrilled to announce I have made it to Round 8 of Project Food Blog. I am one of 24 people left from an original 600 contestants.  Thank you all for reading and voting (and watching my video!) – my next post (getting creative with baked goods featuring pumpkin) will be up next Sunday.

27 Responses to Les Petits Chefs make healthy brown rice muffins

1. Casey Angelova November 22, 2010 at 06:13 #

Bravo! My little chefs are helping me make an apple tart! Your kids are really developing some nice culinary schools! They will remember you forever!

2. Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen November 22, 2010 at 06:54 #

I never thought to use rice in a sweet bread, but you’re right about it being just like oats! Smart! Can’t wait to start encorporating more brown rice into my diet :)

Comgrats on making it to round 8 and good luck!

3. Heather November 22, 2010 at 10:30 #

Those look great!

4. Lauren @ Healthy Delicious November 22, 2010 at 11:08 #

Brown rice in muffins?!? Blowing. My. Mind. I love this!

5. Jen H November 22, 2010 at 11:16 #

These look delish!

6. ayngelina November 22, 2010 at 11:16 #

Have never even thought to use rice, let alone brown rice, what a cool idea.

7. Nancy@acommunaltable November 22, 2010 at 20:37 #

I love the creativity of this recipe and it sounds like “les petit chefs” are becoming quite accomplished bakers!!!
    Congratulations on making it to round #8 – I had no doubts that you would!!!

8. Conor @ Hold the Beef November 23, 2010 at 00:28 #

I can see help groups popping up over the country for people with Magic Bullet addiction, weaning them off them one sauce or smoothie at a time.

Great looking muffins with the sploodge of berry in the middle :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 24, 2010 at 06:59 #

Yes, the splodge totally makes them, huh? And you’re right – these kids are totally addicted to the Magic Bullet – advertisement. None of them have one at home so it’s a treat to use it at school.

9. Anna Johnston November 23, 2010 at 02:48 #

I love that your getting these little chefs producing such wonderful cooking, its great.

10. Susan: My Food Obsession November 23, 2010 at 04:42 #

I love brown rice! Admittedly it has taken me a while to get used to it but now I can’t get enough!

Congrats on making it through to the eight round!

11. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction November 23, 2010 at 10:05 #

I’m not really one to eat rice plain… But, turn it into a muffin and I’m sold!

12. Natalia - a side of simple November 23, 2010 at 16:44 #

This is definitely a spark of genius with these brown rice muffins :) And congratulations on making it to the next round of Foodbuzz!

13. les 2 gourmands November 24, 2010 at 08:06 #

c’est la 1ère fois que nous voyons une recette de cupcake avec du riz, merci de nous la faire partager !!!!!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 26, 2010 at 11:19 #

C’est vraiment une révelation pour moi aussi mais c’était tellement bon que c’est pas la dernière fois que je mettrai du riz dans mes muffins!

14. Paula November 25, 2010 at 16:41 #

Once again another great idea. I certainly never would have thought of putting brown rice into a muffin. Your class must adore you, they are all such happy little chefs.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Les Petits Chefs make healthy brown rice muffins -- Topsy.com - November 22, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Melissa A goldsmith, Mardi. Mardi said: Les Petits Chefs make healthy brown #rice #muffins http://goo.gl/fb/DEM99 #usaricefederation #cookingwithkids #eat [...]