Kitchen Bootcamp 6: Dough and batter

For this month’s Kitchen Bootcamp, Jen challenged us to work with dough and batter.

After my foray into fried dough last week with the Daring Bakers doughnuts, I felt I didn’t want to work with anything too complicated like that.  I had also recently worked with pastry for French Fridays with Dorie’s mustard tart so so I was excited to see the chapter (36) included some recipes for cookies too.  I chose the Chocolate Chunk Cookies because I am always on the lookout for a great chocolate chip cookie recipe, though I still think that for nostalgia, nothing beats my mum’s version of  Toll House Cookies.

For this recipe, I used chunks of bittersweet chocolate that I roughly chopped with a chef’s knife – unfortunately, some of the pieces of chocolate were a little small though the cookies had their fair share of chunks, because I doubled the amount of chocolate the original recipe called for. I like a lot of chocolate in my cookie!

The recipe, comically, makes 12 dozen cookies (ahem) so I simply divided it down to a more reasonable 16 cookies.

I made freeform and rolled and cut cookies and have to say I preferred the freeform ones – more homestyle.

Were these the bet chocolate chip cookies I have ever eaten? Sadly, no. But they are definitely worth working on. Neil and I really like chewy cookies and these were a little too crisp for our liking, though they did improve with age and were slightly more chewy the next day. The taste, however, was spot on – I loved the smaller and the larger chunks mixed in together.  I think next time I will experiment with less time in the oven and put them in airtight containers when they are still a little warm to ensure maximum chewiness.  In any case, it’s a great base recipe to have on hand.

In case you are wondering, yes, I made it through to Round 7 of Project Food Blog and am madly working on bringing a recipe to life through a video. Thank you all for your support and votes – look out for my video (my first! eeek!) sometime later this week!

** Did you know? Jamie Oliver is speaking in Toronto on November 18th.  Thanks to The Art of Cooking, I am able to offer a discount to you, my readers, of $10 per ticket (more if you purchase more than 5 tickets).  Click here for the special promotion code to be applied to your ticket price.  Don’t miss this event – I saw Jamie speak last year and it was inspirational to say the least. It inspired me to start Les Petits Chefs, for one…

, , , ,

40 Responses to Kitchen Bootcamp 6: Dough and batter

1. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 1, 2010 at 05:39 #

Mardi, smart move doubling the amount of chocolate in your cookies! I like to go for about 1/3 or 1/2 chocolate :P

2. Conor @ Hold the Beef November 1, 2010 at 06:15 #

12 dozen cookies?! Who needs 12 dozen cookies?!? I mean, I’m sure I could find a use for them but we’re almost in bikini weather so this is just asking for trouble.

I have a secret little joy with having to divide down recipes as it is MATHS IN ACTION! Those people who declare they they never need maths skills in everyday life are doomed to cookie baking failure. Sucked in, maths haters.

Chunktastic Mardi. I’d do the truffle shuffle for some of these.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 2, 2010 at 08:22 #

See now if I could combine “Math for Baking” with “Le français par la cuisine” I think we’d have a winning business. Move to Canada and help me out? ;-)

3. Stephanie @ The Brunette Foodie November 1, 2010 at 07:00 #

These look really good.

I am with you on the freeform cookies. I only ever roll mine out if I am going to be making something from them {like a cookie cake or homemade Oreos} or if they are getting the cookie cutter treatment.

4. Sally from My Custard Pie November 1, 2010 at 07:54 #

These look so good that I bet you could’ve got through 12 dozen. Trick or treaters would have loved them!

5. eatgreek.net November 1, 2010 at 08:01 #

they look amazing!!! yummy!!!!!!! :D

6. Belinda @zomppa November 1, 2010 at 08:20 #

I like the way the cookies are so rustic and inviting.

7. RavieNomNoms November 1, 2010 at 08:56 #

Beautiful cookies!

8. penny aka jeroxie November 1, 2010 at 09:06 #

16 cookies is ok… not 12 dozens! That is way too many…. unless they are super awesome. And yes, I think less a couple of minutes in the oven will do the trick!

9. Mindy November 1, 2010 at 13:12 #

I love that this recipe makes 12 dozen cookies. You could open a bake shop between that and the delicious-looking macarons you make.

10. Brian @ A Thought For Food November 1, 2010 at 14:21 #

Do you know how proud I am that you’ve made it this far? You are one of my favorite bloggers and I can’t wait to see what you do with your video.

And I should add that these cookies look fantastic! Can’t go wrong with Chocolate Chunk!

11. Rachel November 1, 2010 at 14:56 #

I like chewy cookies too. Good to know these improve the second day…if they last that long!

12. Evan @swEEts November 1, 2010 at 15:21 #

They may not be your fave but they sure do look pretty! Nothing beats a good classic chocolate chip cookie. And congrats on making it to another round! Can’t wait to see the video!

13. Dimah November 1, 2010 at 19:11 #

These cookies look fabulous!

14. K A B L O O E Y November 1, 2010 at 20:54 #

Double the chocolate! That’s a perfect idea. My chocolate chip cookie secret is sprinkling on a teeny bit of sea salt crystals before baking.

15. Rhonda November 1, 2010 at 23:27 #

Oh so tempting….I’m trying to be healthy this month and you’re not helping…just sayin they look soooo good!

16. Daydreamer Desserts November 2, 2010 at 00:24 #

Love your notepad Mardi… oh, and those *extra* chocolaty cookies aren’t too shabby either. ;)

17. Anna Johnston November 2, 2010 at 17:09 #

Oh yes, gotta love the chocolate cookies, nice one Mardi :)

18. Paula November 2, 2010 at 23:36 #

I actually love the fact that the originally recipe makes 12 dozen. I’m sure they freeze well and nothing like having a few chocolate chunk cookies always at the ready. These look delicious and I don’t think you can ever do any harm to this cookie by adding even more chocolate ;)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 11, 2010 at 22:10 #

Yes if I had a big freezer, I might have made a few dozen…. More chocolate is always good too!

19. Jenny Nguyen November 3, 2010 at 04:34 #

I love it… the cookies look delicious! :)

20. pegasuslegend November 3, 2010 at 04:56 #

What an awesome looking cookie and so well deserved Top9 on Foodbuzz great job!

21. Linn @ Swedish Home Cooking November 3, 2010 at 12:57 #

What a pretty picture on your final cookie! I like it. Chocolate chip cookies can never go wrong.

22. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction November 9, 2010 at 23:06 #

Sorry I’m so late on commenting… But, these cookies look lovely. Thanks so much for participating in the challenge despite your crazy schedule. I totally appreciate it :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Kitchen Bootcamp Roundup – Pastry Doughs and Batters | my kitchen addiction - November 1, 2010

[...] chip cookies, but I think it’s fun to try out new recipes.  So, I’ll be giving these Chocolate Chunk Cookies from eat. live. travel. write. a try. var linkwithin_site_id = 32421; (function () { var elem = document.createElement('script'); [...]

2. Tweets that mention Kitchen Bootcamp 6: Dough and batter -- Topsy.com - November 1, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Redpath Sugar, Mardi. Mardi said: Kitchen Bootcamp 6: Dough and batter http://goo.gl/fb/0qGzJ #theprofessionalchef #baking #cookbooks #cookies #eat [...]