Daring Cooks November: Soufflé

I was very nervous when I read the Daring Cooks‘ challenge for this month – soufflé.  Now, whilst I have enjoyed a few soufflés in my time, I have never actually made one so I was excited to try.  Since this is the Cooks and not the Bakers, I wanted to try a savoury one, since, really, less sweets around our house can only be a good thing…

Dave and Linda from Monkeyshines in the Kitchen chose Soufflés as our November 2010 Daring Cooks’ Challenge! Dave and Linda provided two of their own delicious recipes plus a sinfully decadent chocolate soufflé recipe adapted from Gordon Ramsay’s recipe found at the BBC Good Food website.

I settled on a Goat’s Cheese Soufflé I found in Bon Appétit from October 1999.  What really appealed to me was the fact that it could be twice baked, meaning that if it was a disaster and didn’t rise, I could always just bake it twice and pretend it was meant to be like that.  The think I was most nervous about was the difficulty I would probably have photographing them since I knew they had to move from the warm kitchen to the cold front porch (for the light) and that I would have to move fast before they fell.  They definitely rose, not to extreme heights like you see on some soufflés but there was some respectable height there. Well, until they were on the front porch…

I actually only made three of these and the recipe halved pretty easily.  Neil and I each had one for an impromptu brunch…

Cleo enjoyed helping us clean the dishes…

And I twice baked the third one later on for a light dinner…

This tasted like a giant old cheese puff with gooey cheesy goodness inside. Perfect on a bed of salad greens.

On the whole, I was fairly pleased with these soufflés and would definitely attempt them (and a chocolate one!) again.  Way less scary than I thought. I *do* need to work on the height and rise factor, I know, but I think they are pretty anyway. And Neil was certainly pleased when I told him if he would help me expedite them to the porch for their photo session that he would be rewarded with one. Maybe we weren’t quite quick enough to capture their full height but at the end of the day, they were presentable and tasted amazing.

Thanks Dave and Linda for a great challenge – thoroughly enjoyable and demystified the soufflé a little for me!

* Did you see my World on a Plate, Destination: Umbria video? I would love your vote to move on to Round 8 of Project Food Blog where we have to bake with pumpkin.  I have some pretty fun ideas…  Voting open 6AM Pacific Time on Monday, November 15th until 6PM Pacific Time on Thursday November 18th.  Simply click here to read the post and vote.   Many thanks for your continued support.

** Did you know? Jamie Oliver is speaking in Toronto on November 18th.  Thanks to The Art of Cooking, I am able to offer a discount to you, my readers, of $10 per ticket (more if you purchase more than 5 tickets).  Click here for the special promotion code to be applied to your ticket price.  Don’t miss this event – I saw Jamie speak last year and it was inspirational to say the least. It inspired me to start Les Petits Chefs, for one…

, , , ,

58 Responses to Daring Cooks November: Soufflé

1. penny aka jeroxie November 14, 2010 at 06:23 #

AT least you attempted souffle! Cheese puff… what a great description

2. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels November 14, 2010 at 06:58 #

Your souffle looks soooo delicious and beautiful! You did a wonderful job with the souffle. I love the picture of Cleo helping eat the souffle, too cute! After seeing your souffle, I just applied to be a daring cook. I’m a daring baker right now but I thought I might as well challenge myself too!

3. Belinda @zomppa November 14, 2010 at 07:26 #

Wow – it’s perfect! So fluffly!!

4. Island Vittles November 14, 2010 at 11:05 #

Nice! You’re broken your souffle fear — now, as you say, it’s on to chocolate! Theresa

5. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction November 14, 2010 at 11:14 #

Beautiful! I haven’t done much with the souffle… I contemplated a sweet potato souffle last week, but I wimped out and made soup instead. One day I will conquer it… Until then, I will drool over your photos!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 17, 2010 at 06:43 #

It’s a scary thing to attempt but this gives me hope that I might crack the soufflé properly someday….

6. Suz November 14, 2010 at 11:20 #

“This tasted like a giant old cheese puff with gooey cheesy goodness inside. ”

Okay, I’m sold! They look and sound fabulous. Your lucky cat! Mine tried to steal my sweet soufflé, but I don’t think she would have been as impressed. Great job & gorgeous photos.

7. Stephanie November 14, 2010 at 11:22 #

Ah…you’ve taken me back to pastry school where we made souffle after souffle. Your recipe looks and sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

8. Monkeyshines in the Kitchen November 14, 2010 at 11:40 #

Your goat cheese souffles look just beautiful! We’re expecially fond of the twice-baked goat cheese version too – perfect for any meal!

9. Rochelle (Acquired Taste) November 14, 2010 at 12:07 #

Mmmm goat cheese is one of my favorites! I think, when I remake my souffle, I’ll be using it instead :). Mine also rose in the oven but after taking it out it deflated after a minute or two… As long as it tastes good though who really cares?

10. Jenn November 14, 2010 at 12:23 #

Love the idea of a twice-baked soufflé! All my windows and doors were open to the outside in order to let in as much light as possible, so mine deflated rather quickly too with the cold outside air whirling around our dining area…

11. Hezzi-D November 14, 2010 at 12:58 #

Your souffle looks great! I’ll eat just about anything with cheese and this sounds fantastic!

12. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz November 14, 2010 at 13:27 #

I can relate to a deflated experiment too but it remains very delicious nonetheless. Love the cat pic eating the soufflé lol

13. eatgreek.net November 14, 2010 at 13:39 #

excellent recipe! :D

14. Amanda November 14, 2010 at 14:07 #

They look beautiful! I can’t wait to give souffles a try once I get my ramekins. And of course it has to be goat cheese, because nothing can beat that. Thanks for sharing the recipe and I’ll be sure to bookmark it!

15. Pretty. Good. Food. November 14, 2010 at 16:21 #

Wow, those look beautiful! Great job!!! I think I’ll give them a shot! :)

16. Anna Johnston November 14, 2010 at 16:54 #

Oh these look so good, love that you can twice bake this recipe, so its on for me to whip some of these up for lunch today (Momma’s coming over for lunch). Just the thing. Great job Mardi

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 17, 2010 at 06:41 #

I love that they are so quick to whip up actually. It’s just the nerve wracking waiting to see if they rise…

17. Jenni November 14, 2010 at 16:56 #

Great job! I never would have thought that you could bake a souffle twice!

18. Nancy/SpicieFoodie November 14, 2010 at 17:03 #

Your Souffle looks perfect! I’ve always wanted to try making souffle but been to scared to try. You are inspiring me to try it because yours look so mouthwatering.

19. Mary November 14, 2010 at 17:23 #

I think your souffle looks gorgeous and I bet it was amazing with the goat cheese. I had a hard time with the pictures too, but didn’t mind eating the fallen souffles one bit!

20. Jennifer November 14, 2010 at 19:51 #

I love cheese souffle! And these looks scrumptious. I like the twice baked idea. Thanks for daring and sharing.

21. Nancy@acommunaltable November 14, 2010 at 21:33 #

Hi Mardi!!
    The souffles look lovely and I know they had to be delicious!!! I completely understand about trying to photograph them before they fell – had a similar issue with Toad in the Hole!!!

Cleo is beautiful too.. lucky kitty!!

22. arthur November 14, 2010 at 22:20 #

I am going to dare to make this following your recipe. If it falls, I’m going to eat it anyway. I just love eating souffles. Cheers!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 17, 2010 at 06:39 #

The beauty of this one is that if it fails you can just twice bake it and pretend it was meant to be like that.

23. My Restaurants Melbourne November 14, 2010 at 23:52 #

You did an awesome job of these, well done

24. Conor @ Hold the Beef November 15, 2010 at 04:47 #

Gooey cheesy goodness inside? Gooey GOAT cheesy goodness inside? Bliss. I wish I were Miss Cleo.

25. Amy Bakes Everything November 15, 2010 at 07:01 #

Gorgeous! I’ve wanted to tangle with a souffle for a while! This one sounds amazing!

26. Kimba's Kitchen November 15, 2010 at 07:45 #

OMG only one word to describe your souffle… AMAZING! ok maybe two words.. INCREDIBLE! Oh wait.. maybe 3 words… DIVINE!!!!!! I agree with Conor, I wish I were Miss Cleo hehe.

27. Paula November 15, 2010 at 12:51 #

Your *cheese puffs* souffles look great especially when pared with that salad! I can so understand the running back and forth to the cold front porch. I’ve been trekking plates of cookies from the diningroom to the back deck in the cold trying to get decent daylight shots! As in your cooking & baking skills, your photography skills are amazing as well.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 17, 2010 at 06:38 #

Thanks Paula. Sometimes being a blogger is less about the actual cooking and baking and more about the trials and tribulations of getting a good shot!

28. Mr. Neil November 15, 2010 at 15:48 #

I often wish I was Cleo…though of course we don’t normally *ever* let her on the table.

29. Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen November 15, 2010 at 19:54 #

Your souffles turned out beautiful! Way to succeed on something new!

30. Lindsay at Kitchen Operas November 15, 2010 at 22:41 #

Ooooh, yum. Nice work!!!

Melty gooey goat cheese yum!! Can’t wait to try it myself!

31. Kristi Rimkus November 16, 2010 at 00:54 #

Love the cat! I have two that love to clean up too. I’ve never made a souffle before, but you’ve inspired me to give it a try!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Daring Cooks November: Soufflé -- Topsy.com - November 15, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mardi, Mardi. Mardi said: Daring Cooks November: #Soufflé http://goo.gl/fb/iJOwD #daringcooks #cheese #eat #eggs #recipes [...]