French Fridays with Dorie: Spicy Vietnamese chicken noodle soup

Dorie Vietnamese soup condiments

For this week’s French Fridays with Dorie, we made a fabulous Vietnamese soup that is perfect for this all-of-a-sudden cold snap we are having.  I love all types of noodle soups and lived on them last summer in Laos, but rarely make them from scratch myself.  Dorie’s version (pp 98-100) is very accessible and doesn’t take long to make at all.  You might not think Spicy Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup is very French, but Vietnamese restaurants are all over France, Vietnam being a former French colony.  The base of this soup is in the spices… I poached chicken breasts as per the recipe but if you have leftover roasted turkey (ahem, like *some* people….), you could totally shred that into the finished soup. I loved the spice bag – it was so pretty…

And we used the last of our (sweet) peppers from the garden…

This was the perfect soup – tender chicken, a lot of taste and a little kick from the fresh red chiles I added to the finished bowl along with some grated lemongrass and lime zest before I dressed the finished bowl with mint and coriander…  But as you can see, it’s perfect with hardly any garnish too!

So far, we’re 3 for 3 with Around My French Table – and I made two more recipes over the weekend that were winners too. LOVING this book :-)

Want to join in the fun? Join French Fridays with Dorie here and follow along on Twitter.

, , , , , ,

55 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Spicy Vietnamese chicken noodle soup

1. notyet100 October 15, 2010 at 06:26 #

soup looks so comforting,…

2. nancy@skinnykitchen.com October 15, 2010 at 07:31 #

I too love all kinds of chicken soups…This one sounds delish!

3. dorie October 15, 2010 at 08:06 #

Your soup looks so inviting and I’m delighted that you liked it. And you’re right — it would be easy to put some already-cooked chicken or leftover T-day turkey into the soup.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 16, 2010 at 06:38 #

Thanks for popping in Dorie! I think that after Thanksgiving a lighter but still comforting soup like this is perfect and what better way to use leftover turkey?

4. penny aka jeroxie October 15, 2010 at 08:11 #

This is a clear winner in cold weather… totally. Especially with the spices.

5. Belinda @zomppa October 15, 2010 at 08:17 #

What a great combination of the best of all flavors! Spice it up a bit!

6. Mr. Neil October 15, 2010 at 08:33 #

Mardi is treating me with travel memory dishes this week…mmm, thoughts of Hanoi. (Perfect for their anniversary celebrations this week!)

7. RavieNomNoms October 15, 2010 at 09:17 #

That is beautiful, I love the colors!

8. Mary Ann October 15, 2010 at 09:28 #

I love the idea of using leftover turkey for this soup. Beautiful picture!

9. Mary October 15, 2010 at 11:13 #

I agree..we are three for three with FFwD.

10. Dagny October 15, 2010 at 12:08 #

Love the red! Really pretty…

11. Adelina October 15, 2010 at 13:36 #

I am not a chicken soup person, but always make an exception for this. Had not idea French love it too. Nice pics!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 16, 2010 at 06:35 #

This is nothing like your grandma’s chicken soup – it’s a little bit of the exotic that ‘s so easy to make!

12. tia October 15, 2010 at 14:41 #

Your soup has gorgeous flecks of color in it.

13. Jason Phelps October 15, 2010 at 15:27 #

Very nice. I was just thinking something like this might be nice for the cool wet weather we are having over here in NH.

Jason

14. Joy October 15, 2010 at 16:30 #

That looks wonderful.

15. Whineaux October 15, 2010 at 19:37 #

As always, a beautiful dish!

16. healthy mamma October 15, 2010 at 22:35 #

huh, I didn’t know Vietnamese resteraunts were popular in France! You learn something new everyday.
    I love most Vietnamese cuisine, especially soups. I think this is one I could attempt, the ingredient list looks doable. ;-)

17. Betty @ scrambled hen fruit October 16, 2010 at 02:35 #

Beautiful soup, with and without the garnishes on top! I love your bright red chiles. :) I’ve also been very happy with the three recipes we’ve made from the book so far- there are so many more I’m just itching to try!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 16, 2010 at 06:33 #

Yes it’s one of the best books I have read in a while – all the recipes, even the more complex ones, are so easy!

18. Teresa October 16, 2010 at 05:31 #

Leftover turkey – I wish I’d thought of that! I love that you used your own peppers, that’s a great way to segue into fall.

19. Conor @ HoldtheBeef October 16, 2010 at 07:01 #

Damn, this post makes me itchy to go to France AND Vietnam. Oh, and also Toronto.

20. Summer October 16, 2010 at 10:29 #

Oh yeah , it sure was fab, i agree!
    I left out the peppers but love the idea of the milder ones!
    Yeah the whole book is a winner!!

21. Lana October 16, 2010 at 17:29 #

I cannot stop raving about the book. And all the recipes so far have been outstanding. I spent a weekend in September visiting my daughter in Berkeley, and we had pho for the first time ever. Now I am beyond excited that Dorie has taught me how to prepare it.
    I love your photo.
    Greetings from California.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 20, 2010 at 06:47 #

Yes I am so excited about this book too – think it’s on a few people’s lists for Christmas!

22. Anna Johnston October 16, 2010 at 20:13 #

This looks such a simple dish Mardi, I love Vietnamese food.., so this one is a must. Thanks for sharing.

23. Chaya October 16, 2010 at 21:51 #

A warm and delightful soup. Yours looks great.

24. Sharlene (Wheels and Lollipops) October 17, 2010 at 06:55 #

Beautifully presented Mardi !!

25. Lael Hazan October 17, 2010 at 09:00 #

Beautifully done! We all are sick in this house and this will be the perfect remedy (although I might leave out the cilantro as we are a family to whom it tastes like soap). I’m very impressed by the peppers from the garden. I do have garden dreams, I lack the execution and ability.
    Thanks!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 20, 2010 at 06:46 #

Thanks Lael – this is the perfect soup to have if you are coming down with something – too bad about the cilantro – that must be hard to cope with as I am sure it’s everywhere! Thanks for stopping by!

26. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction October 18, 2010 at 21:50 #

That looks like a perfectly warm and comforting soup! Just lovely!

27. Margaret October 20, 2010 at 19:16 #

Looks like a beautiful bowl of soup.

Finally made it and it is pretty tasty. And easy!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention French Fridays with Dorie: Spicy Vietnamese chicken noodle soup -- Topsy.com - October 16, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mardi, Mardi. Mardi said: #French Fridays with Dorie: Spicy #Vietnamese #chicken noodle #soup http://goo.gl/fb/BidDe #doriegreenspan #ffwdorie [...]