French Fridays with Dorie: Marie-Hélène’s apple cake

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie was hands down the easiest dessert I have made in a long time. Almost too easy, in fact. It’s so easy you could throw it together in about 15 minutes on a weeknight and have a delectable dessert in just over an hour. Danger, danger!

What I really loved about it was the fact that there were more apples than batter. The batter just serves as a means of suspending the tart-but-sweet Cortland apples I used in a battery-bliss….

Yeah, I could have eaten this out of the bowl. Not that – ahem – I would ever do that.

It’s not a high cake because it’s so dense – I admit I was a little worried at the lack of batter.

Until it came out of the oven, beautiful and golden…

And it was perfect served warm with a sprinkle of icing sugar…

OMG – delicious!

And actually, even better the next day, heated gently in the oven in foil or zapped in the microwave at work for 30 seconds if you don’t have access to an oven.

With whipped cream, ice cream or just plain.

Want to join in the fun? Join French Fridays with Dorie here and follow along on Twitter.

** Did you know? Jamie Oliver is speaking in Toronto on November 18th.  Thanks to The Art of Cooking, I am able to offer a discount to you, my readers, of $10 per ticket (more if you purchase more than 5 tickets).  Click here for the special promotion code to be applied to your ticket price.  Don’t miss this event – I saw Jamie speak last year and it was inspirational to say the least. It inspired me to start Les Petits Chefs, for one…

54 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Marie-Hélène’s apple cake

1. Sharlene (Wheels and Lollipops) October 29, 2010 at 05:42 #

Great job Mardi ! I made this a few weekends ago the same weekend my lens of my camera decided to give out on me so no pictures. I loved this cake and actually preferred it a few days after it had been made, definitely a ‘go to’ recipe to have on hand. I made the batter while the hubby peeled the apples and I finished before him :)

2. Lora @cakeduchess October 29, 2010 at 07:00 #

I loved this recipe. Yours looks perfect. It was even better the next day. It is similar to my mom-in-law’s apple cake recipe that I make often. Have a great weekend Mardi!:)

3. Belinda @zomppa October 29, 2010 at 07:08 #

Need a hot cup of tea with this!

4. Mr. Neil October 29, 2010 at 08:51 #

Re the most recent Le Petit Chefs post – this is also an excellent breakfast. Just pour a touch of heavy cream (unwhipped) over the warmed slice.

(And seeing how easy it was, I hope to see this on the breakfast menu more frequently!) :-)

• Dawn October 29, 2010 at 18:35 #

That sounds delicious! Great idea! But then again it’s hard to find a warmed dessert topped with heavy cream that isn’t yummy

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 29, 2010 at 19:33 #

Right yes. So easy even you could make it!

5. Daydreamer Desserts October 29, 2010 at 09:05 #

I think I’m missing out… that apple cake looks lovely I would go so perfectly with my morning cup of joe. Can I play French Fridays with Dorie – Dessert only? ;)

6. KA B L O O E Y October 29, 2010 at 09:33 #

This looks delicious, and the word “easy” is music to my ears, especially re: baking. And I like the sound of a high fruit to batter ratio. So I’m ready; but where is the recipe? I’m admittedly tired right now, but linked back to Dorie and just found comments by other chefs. Sorry if I’m missing something (I’m sure I am…).

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 29, 2010 at 19:32 #

For French Fridays with Dorie, we don’t publish the recipes since the point is that you will all want the book! And I think you do, Carrie!

7. RavieNomNoms October 29, 2010 at 10:18 #

This is the second apple cake I have seen today..looks so yummy!

8. Ken│hungry rabbit October 29, 2010 at 10:22 #

I love this simple delicious cake that can be eaten morning noon and night.

9. Steph@stephsbitebybite October 29, 2010 at 13:12 #

I totally agree with you on the ease of this cake! I loved it so much! Can’t wait to get my post up this evening

10. Jen Laceda October 29, 2010 at 14:36 #

I can almost smell apples in my kitchen…YUM!

11. Medifast Coupon Codes October 29, 2010 at 17:24 #

Apple cake! A huge fan and trust me, this is something I will be making this weekend hands down. Just the smell alone is worth it. Can’t wait to taste this and hear my taste buds screaming with delight.

Thanks for sharing this recipe, apple cake!! (Yes I am slightly excited)

12. Paige @ Saucy & Sweet October 29, 2010 at 17:36 #

This looks amazing… and the perfect way to use up the last few apples from our picking extravaganza!

13. Anna Johnston October 29, 2010 at 20:13 #

Nice one.., puts me in mind of a nice cuppa tea, a slice of this little beauty & a nice long read of my book in the sun.. A girl can dream can’t she?
    Looks great though Mardi, thanks for sharing :)

14. Cherine October 30, 2010 at 05:24 #

Looks wonderful!!

15. Danny October 30, 2010 at 08:12 #

That last picture makes my mouth all watery!

16. penny aka jeroxie October 30, 2010 at 08:51 #

Looks great and moist. Easy is the more important when it comes to baking for me

17. kristin @ delishliving October 30, 2010 at 13:52 #

Ok, WOW. Definitely definitely bookmarking this. Thanks so much for sharing!

18. My Restaurants Melbour e October 30, 2010 at 20:13 #

Wow I am always trying to find recipes that are so easy to make, great one

19. Barbara Bakes October 30, 2010 at 23:08 #

This really looks like a must try cake! I think I’d want to eat it for breakfast.

20. Conor @ HoldtheBeef October 31, 2010 at 03:59 #

It looks perfect. I’m totally digging the fruit:cake ratio with this cake. I’ve been known to dig out the fruit pieces and leave cakey bits behind in less than ideal ratio cakes, but this looks just spot on.

The raw mix kinda makes me think of egg salad though… :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 2, 2010 at 08:04 #

Yes the raw mix looked a bit like egg salad but the finished product made you forget that. The cake parts were more like custard – loved it!

21. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels October 31, 2010 at 08:14 #

Your cake looks so delicious and I love the sprinling of powdered sugar on top. And I LOVE the picture of the cake on the blue and white plate, it’s gorgeous! I had fun with this recipe and made it twice (add more spices, vanilla and rum! the second time). I’m excited for our November recipes! I’m looking forward to baking and cooking along with you. :)

22. Paula October 31, 2010 at 18:49 #

Beautiful! Another blogging friend of mine belongs to FFwD and her cake turned out beautifully too! Dorie must be very proud of her Friday Girls!

23. jasonphelps@yahoo.com October 31, 2010 at 20:15 #

Apple cake. This type of recipe is a staple in New England this time of year!

Nicely done.

Jason

24. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction October 31, 2010 at 22:52 #

This looks lovely! I’m really wishing I hadn’t seen this right now, because I think I have all of the ingredients and I’m seriously considering whipping up a cake at 11pm, which would inevitably result in eating a few slices of cake around 12:30am.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 2, 2010 at 08:03 #

Well and it’s the sort of thing you probably have most of the ingredients for anyway….

25. Sandy November 1, 2010 at 00:36 #

Mardi,
    This is beautiful..I just joined the group and am looking forward to Fridays with a new point of view !

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 2, 2010 at 08:02 #

I love this group – so supportive, so stress free (no participation commitment) and such great recipes!

26. Mollie November 1, 2010 at 13:02 #

very nice post. your photos are nice, too!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 2, 2010 at 08:02 #

Thanks so much – it’s easy to take photos of food that just looks good all on its own!

27. lara kim November 4, 2010 at 08:38 #

tried the recipe and it was deliciously baked. thanks for the recipe.

28. Dawn November 4, 2010 at 10:22 #

I made the cake on Sunday and believe it or not it was still moist and delicious for breakfast this morning when I polished it off. I need to write half as much as I cook!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention French Fridays with Dorie: Marie-Hélène’s apple cake -- Topsy.com - October 29, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Myriam Thibault, Mardi. Mardi said: French Fridays with Dorie: Marie-Hélène’s apple #cake http://goo.gl/fb/nF4xB #doriegreenspan #ffwdorie #bakedgoods [...]

2. Applepalooza! Wrap Up - The Hazel Bloom - December 1, 2010