French Fridays with Dorie: Hachis Parmentier

Dorie Greenspan's hachis parmentier on eatlivetravelwrite.comI *loved* this week of French Fridays with Dorie – it’s one of my favourite meals.  The French equivalent of  cottage or shepherd’s pie, it’s named after Antoine-Augustin Parmentier, a French pharmacist, nutritionist, and inventor who, according to Wikipedia, in the late 18th century, was instrumental in the promotion of the potato as an edible crop. Hachis means chopped or minced, and comes the same root as the English word “hatchet”. So, lots of chopping.

The secret to this dish is braising the beef and using the resulting stock in the meat base of the finished dish.

This version also uses sausage meat (taken out of its casing and sautéed with the finely chopped stewing beef from the braise).  There is also tomato paste which I have never seen in this dish before.

And of course, there are potatoes.

And the topping calls for cheese, sprinkled on top.  I mixed the cheese into the mashed potatoes so that I would have a smooth and crispy topping..

(see, still channeling my inner Dorie!!!)

Result?

This was a superb dish. So much better than any other version I have made or tasted (sorry mum and nana!)  The cheese gave the creamy potatoes a little bit of bite and the beef and sausage filling was amazingly tender.  Another outstanding Dorie recipe success. We’re 5 for 5!

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s Hachis Parmentier here.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

___________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

, , , , , ,

56 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Hachis Parmentier

1. Belinda @zomppa October 22, 2010 at 05:31 #

Go Dorie and go you. I bet braising that meat just makes this all the better. Have fun at the Jamie Oliver event – sounds like fun!!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 25, 2010 at 08:53 #

Yes it’s amazing how such a simple process – braising – really makes the meat so much more delicious!

2. eatgreek.net October 22, 2010 at 06:21 #

it looks delicious!!! :D

3. K October 22, 2010 at 07:28 #

Looks beautiful! I can almost smell it from over here :)

4. Daydreamer Desserts October 22, 2010 at 07:31 #

Wish I would of had some of this around the house this week, looks like the perfect comfort food to enjoy on cold and rainy days. Way to channel your inner Dori!

5. The Mistress of Spices October 22, 2010 at 07:50 #

Bee-ooo-tiii-fullll! This must be the prettiest hachis parmentier I’ve ever seen :-) I actually do an Indian vegetarian version with soy crumbles and spices and often use sweet potatoes instead of regular ones…Monsieur Parmentier would probably be scandalized, but I think it’s pretty good! Bravo for yours and the beautiful photos!

6. Mr. Neil October 22, 2010 at 08:23 #

Stunning. Almost as good as mine. ;-)

Looking forward to a lamb or venison version in future.

7. Bonita October 22, 2010 at 09:19 #

Yours looks gorgeous Mardi! I agree, this recipe packs in a lot of flavour for such a simple and rustic dish.

8. Lora @cakeduchess October 22, 2010 at 10:17 #

This looks so pretty Mardi! This was fun to make. I am happy that I joined this talented group:) YAY FFwD!

9. Rebecca October 22, 2010 at 10:30 #

Fabulous pictures!!

10. Lauren @ Healthy Delicious October 22, 2010 at 10:37 #

This looks so good! Like a much more flavorful version of shepard’s pie. I really want this cookbook!

11. Kristina @ spabettie October 22, 2010 at 11:37 #

this is stunning !!

12. Jen Laceda October 22, 2010 at 11:45 #

I see that you have channelled your inner Dorie in this wonderful looking hachis parmentier!

13. lisaiscooking October 22, 2010 at 17:14 #

The potato topping looks fantastic! I just attended a class taught by Dorie on Wednesday. She mentioned French Fridays with Dorie, and I hadn’t heard about it before. Her new book looks so great!

14. Dagny October 22, 2010 at 17:19 #

Love that you were able to plate your hachis permentier! So pretty!

15. Mari @ Once Upon a Plate October 22, 2010 at 19:42 #

That is quite possibly the most beautiful plating of Hachis Permentier ever! It looks absolutely delicious… very nicely executed. ~m.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 25, 2010 at 08:48 #

Thanks – all it was was a pint glass that I cut into the hachis with to make a little individual round..

16. Pam M October 22, 2010 at 20:30 #

Looks yummy Mardi, but you haven’t tasted my latest version. made with lamb mince, and the potato has grated parmesan and an egg yolk.
    The egg fuffs the potato up like a souffle. Your presentation, however is, as usual, stunning.

17. Anna Johnston October 22, 2010 at 22:14 #

When I was cooking in London one of the chefs always used to make this for me – its my ultimate comfort food with a little bit of french tizz to it, love the Hachis Parmentier too.

18. penny aka jeroxie October 23, 2010 at 01:55 #

Looks like an awesome recipe. I think I might have to check out this book….

19. Emily (Foodie/Nutritionist) October 23, 2010 at 02:09 #

Mmmm, looks so good! Nice and warm and hearty for Fall. I keep meaning to join French Fridays with Dorie — it looks like so much fun!

20. Conor @ HoldtheBeef October 23, 2010 at 07:38 #

There have been so many TERRIBLE shepherd’s pies made in the history of shepherd’s pies – I’m sure we can all think back to a bland, fatty version at a cafeteria or from a frozen packet – so it’s quite refreshing to see it done so well and looking so nice!

I think the idea of trying a lamb or venison version is very important :D

21. Sharlene (Wheels and Lollipops) October 23, 2010 at 08:21 #

Definitely agree this recipe is a keeper. I made my last Sunday for dinner but the photos came out awful so decided not to post it. Even the French hubby who has memories of his grandmother’s Hachis said this was a good one.

22. Christine @ Fresh Local and Best October 23, 2010 at 14:23 #

I must have been channeling the energy of Dorie’s cooking club this week, because I had just made a very similar pie. This is the perfect comfort food recipe for the colder weather.

23. Clivia October 25, 2010 at 12:03 #

Your hachis parmentier looks gorgeous! This was my first time cooking with sausage meat and loved the flavour it added.

24. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction October 28, 2010 at 19:23 #

That is a lovely dish… Looks perfect for a cold winter night.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 29, 2010 at 19:11 #

Yes it is the perfect dish to make ahead to ensure you have fab dinners through the week!

25. Nancy January 5, 2011 at 22:31 #

I found your post on hachis Parmentier while researching the dish. I also prepared Dorie Greenspan’s recipe and loved it. We recently purchased her cookbook and are cooking our way through it–on Monday nights. We write about our food and wine experiences on our blog http://pullthatcork.com.

26. Donna Simard August 4, 2014 at 03:01 #

Hi there, We just discovered this delicious dish on pinterest and are wanting to make it for my daughters 13th birthday party (French Theme) but there is really no recipe to follow with ingredients and measurements etc. I know this is an old post but is there any possibility of getting the recipe. Thanks Donna

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Around My French Table | In the Kitchen With Giggles and Freckles - January 14, 2011

[...] with Evelyn’s new-found passion (French). So we tried our first AMFT recipe early last week, hachis Parmentier, which was unbelievably divine and just a wicked-awesome comfort food dish. Inexpensive to make [...]

2. Jeobox – 44 Classic French Meals You Need To Try Before You Die - January 15, 2014

[…] Mardi Michels / Via eatlivetravelwrite.com […]

3. Dorie Greenspan's hachis parmentier | FOODIEZ-eatzFOODIEZ-eatz - January 16, 2014

[…] Source […]