French Fridays with Dorie: Gérard’s mustard tart

I approached this week’s French Fridays with Dorie with trepidation…  Gérard’s Mustard Tart (pp 154-156).  Requiring pastry.

Pastry and I are not friends.  But I was determined to give it a go, with Dorie cheering me on over Twitter!

The pastry seemed a little dry. Maybe my butter was too cold?  I was careful to not overwork it but on reflection, I should have perhaps spent a little more time kneading and softening the butter into the flour. In any case, one of the most exciting revelations for me this week was rolling the dough in between sheets of waxed paper.  (I know, where have I been all this time?)

My pâte was most definitely looking brisée..

But Dorie encouraged me to patch it together with water and the broken pieces…

Whilst I blind baked the pastry, I prepared the innards…

And filled the tart with the vegetables and eggy, mustardy, creamy goodness… (no, mine is not as pretty as Dorie’s is in the book…)

Well it certainly *looked* right coming out of the oven…

And – ahem – someone was very interested in the tart containing dairy and eggs…

(notice how Dorie’s spirit – the book – is near the tart in a lot of these pictures?  I am trying to channel my inner Dorie…)

Verdict?  Well is certainly was not as beautiful as Dorie’s and I found the filling a little skimpy – I would have preferred it to be fuller, however I have a feeling my tart pan is slightly bigger than the 9 inch shell this recipe calls for.  But the taste???

It was like a little piece of France.  The buttery crust, the rich custard with a hint of mustard, the vegetables…  It’s the sort of dish you might find on a menu of a French café at lunchtime.  Served with a salade verte and a hunk of crusty bread, this is the perfect Sunday evening dinner. I will definitely be trying this again and perhaps next time I will use Dorie’s “bonne idée” with tomatoes as the featured vegetable.  So even though my pastry was not perfect, it didn’t totally suck. Which was encouraging. Thanks Dorie!!!

Want to join in the fun? Join French Fridays with Dorie here and follow along on Twitter.

, , , ,

36 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Gérard’s mustard tart

1. Belinda @zomppa October 8, 2010 at 08:47 #

I think yours is gorgeous!! I love the colors…but yeah, bet it tastes even better. =)

2. dorie October 8, 2010 at 09:37 #

“Felicitations!” I think it looks great — I like the way you arranged the vegetables. And the best part is that you loved it. Hooray and brava!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 12, 2010 at 07:52 #

Dorie thanks so much for visiting and commenting. Yes, it looks pretty rustic which I like too!

3. FrenchTwistDC October 8, 2010 at 11:00 #

My cat looks just like you cat! I’m very impressed that you made your own dough. I was lazy & bought mine at the store ;-)

4. FrenchTwistDC October 8, 2010 at 11:00 #

your cat ;-)
    not you cat…

5. RavieNomNoms October 8, 2010 at 11:21 #

Yum! Cute kitty too :-)

6. K A B L O O E Y October 8, 2010 at 11:37 #

Ha! “It didn’t totally suck” you say. Looks delicious, all puffy brown on top and savory. And if you can conquer macarons, I’m sure pastry will crumble at your feet as well. (little joke there).

7. Whineaux October 8, 2010 at 11:42 #

I’m going to make the tomato version but I’m not going to make the cut for blogging! Not enough hours in the day sometimes!

8. Joy October 8, 2010 at 16:25 #

Great recipe.

9. Mary October 8, 2010 at 16:49 #

I saw your link on thefood.ca and thought I’d come for a visit–it’s been a while! Your tart looks delicious–that’s one smart cat you’ve got. I joined FFwD too, but I just moved and haven’t managed to make anything yet. 2 weeks in and I’m 2 recipes behind already. Sigh. Next week for sure.

10. Anh October 8, 2010 at 17:34 #

How good looking is that tart?? Absolutely stunning!

11. Sarah at Good Bite In October 8, 2010 at 17:52 #

Your tart looks lovely. I like the look of your Red rice pilaf with candied hazelnuts as well … I think I might give that a go.

12. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction October 8, 2010 at 19:53 #

That looks divine! I actually just made a quiche for dinner tonight… One of my favorite things in the fall. I’ll have to give this one a try!

13. Mary October 8, 2010 at 20:16 #

It looks lovely…nice work.

14. Lisa October 8, 2010 at 21:46 #

That tart looks like French food at its best. Beautiful.

15. Betty @ scrambled hen fruit October 8, 2010 at 23:47 #

Beautiful! I love your veggies- kitty is cute too!

16. Anna Johnston October 9, 2010 at 02:19 #

This ones a keeper Mardi, I love it, so French :)

17. Conor @ HoldtheBeef October 10, 2010 at 00:54 #

Miss Cleo! Yay! I had not quite been feeling right lately and couldn’t put my finger on why… now I know I had been missing her furry face.

Ahh, you now know the ways of the double waxed paper. There is no stopping you now!!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 12, 2010 at 07:48 #

I cannot believe I did not know about the waxed paper before!! And yes, Miss Cleo is my constant companion. In case I drop anything you know!!

18. penny aka jeroxie October 10, 2010 at 06:43 #

Looks right to me? Pastry and me aren’t best friends but they tastes so good! And how cool that Dorie commented on your blog :)

19. Daydreamer Desserts October 11, 2010 at 00:42 #

Looks so yummy, I just want to take a bite out of it! Love it!

20. Cedarglen October 12, 2010 at 04:49 #

Well… I can empathize with the pastry concerns; some do it with grace and most of us have a difficult time. Great kudos for just doing it and I think yours turned out just fine.
    As a whole, I think this a FUN and tasty dish. I too would fill a bit more next time, but so what! You have easily proven the point that I Can Be Done – ’cause you did it. The fillings are awsome. Leek and carrot slivers were made for each other.
    Question: Did you pre-cook the veggies at all? I often give them a short steam/blanche/something, because the egg-focused bake is a bit gentle for some ingredients.
    You done did really good, friend. And remember, Dorie’s pix were thoroughly staged, not typical product. Yours look just fine and cause a Pavlovian response, here. And your procedure monitor (kitty) is a cutie. Thanks for posting on Photograzing.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 12, 2010 at 07:47 #

Yes you steam the veggies before you put them in the filling. I am just pleased my pastry turned out as well as it did!

21. Pretty. Good. Food. October 19, 2010 at 12:28 #

Mmm, looks delicious!

22. Jen Laceda November 13, 2010 at 18:41 #

Yeah, Mardi! It still turned out looking pretty freakin’ awesome to me!!! When am I coming over for brunch? Hahaha. Just kidding!

23. pilot September 9, 2011 at 10:10 #

Spot on with this write-up, I actually suppose this website wants much more consideration. I’ll in all probability be once more to learn far more, thanks for that info.