Foodbuzz 24×24: Bake sale for Pakistan

For this month’s Foodbuzz 24×24, I am thrilled to be participating in an event showcasing cooking with kids.  Foodbuzz partnered with Frigidaire to produce an extra-fun 24×24 event.   Frigidaire’s Make Time For Change program supports Save the Children’s efforts to ensure that kids will have access to healthy foods this holiday season and all year long.  To recognize Frigidaire’s charitable partnership with Save the Children, this month’s 24×24 was to feature kids’ meals or parties.

As regular readers of this blog know, I run a cooking club for 9-11 year old boys called Les Petits Chefs.  I was excited to submit a proposal for the boys to contribute to a bake sale we held at school last week to raise money for the Pakistan flood relief.  Our Grade 4 teacher hails from Pakistan and has been working to raise awareness about the devastation to her homeland caused by the recent floods.  The bake sale was her idea and I really wanted to be able to have my cooking club contribute some baked goods as well as chat with them about how lucky they are compared to many many children across the world.  We each made little sacrifice for those children suffering in Pakistan – the boys gave up an hour of their time as well as the privilege of eating what they cook immediately (which is what normally happens) and I donated the $250 stipend provided by Foodbuzz to the International Development and Relief Foundation.

I chose three recipes to make within the hour we have allotted to club time each week (ambitious I know but the boys are such pros in the kitchen now, I thought they could handle it!):  Honey Joys and Chocolate Crackles (treats from my childhood) and Super Charge Me cookies as a somewhat healthier treat.

We attacked the Honey Joys and cookies first, since they needed baking in the oven.  We had the most excellent Rosewood Estates honey to use…

The Super Charge Me cookies recipe can be found over on Dreena Burton’s Eat, Drink and be Vegan website and includes a whole lotta healthy stuff like oats, spelt flour, flax meal and just the tiniest hint of sweet with maple syrup and chocolate chips.

Lastly, we made the staple of every Australian kid’s childhood… Chocolate Crackles

The day of the bake sale dawned bright and clear. I arrived at school around 7.40 to be greeted by one of my students claiming he had already had “like 14 treats” (he hadn’t!) but it really set the tone for the day.

There was an excellent buzz from early in the morning to well after lunch (yes, people donated a lot of baked goods!) and the boys were super excited for their first bake sale of the year.  What was really heartwarming was how the whole school rallied around this very worthy cause; from Grade 3 through Grade 12, parents, teachers and admin staff – it was a true coming together as a community for the good of those in need.

A fabulous day with over $800 raised from the sales! I was happy to be a part of it, with my small contribution, but more importantly, I was pleased that my club boys took an hour out of their time to think about others less fortunate and do something about it. So proud of my Petits Chefs :-)  Thank you Foodbuzz for giving me the opportunity to help children both near and far.

If you would like to contribute to the Pakistan Floor Relief through IDRF, you can donate here.

Did you know? I am participating in Project Food Blog – an interactive series of culinary blogging challenges. You can see my latest post entry here and should you feel so inclined, you can help vote me through to the next round. You have to be a Foodbuzz member to vote but it’s a simple sign-up process. Once you’re signed up, click the red heart to vote.  Thanks in advance.

, , , , , , , , ,

52 Responses to Foodbuzz 24×24: Bake sale for Pakistan

1. Casey Angelova October 5, 2010 at 06:33 #

What a great way to get the kids to think and act globally! I miss good ol’ bake sales. They are a rarity here, unless I am visiting the US Embassy! Good luck!

2. Belinda @zomppa October 5, 2010 at 06:41 #

What a fantastic idea to engage the kids in cooking AND caring. The photos are gorgeous. This is a far fancier bake sale than I’ve ever seen!

3. Conor @ HoldtheBeef October 5, 2010 at 06:42 #

This is all types of awesome, Mardi! You’re introducing a whole new pile of kids to the joys of our childhood, and raising money for a great cause while you do it. Looks like a pretty epic bake sale, much better than the one on Top Chef Just Desserts the other night ;)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 7, 2010 at 20:18 #

Have yet to see TCD – it’s on iTunes waiting for me but now I am intrigued about their bake sale… Ours was, indeed, epic!

4. mademoiselle délicieuse October 5, 2010 at 08:08 #

Ahhh, honey joys and chocolate crackles! But especially chocolate crackles as no bake sale fundraiser was ever complete without them, nor with me not buying at least one =p A friend has since taught me that to make chocolate crackles even better, use Cocoa Pops and decorate with coloured sprinkles!

5. penny aka jeroxie October 5, 2010 at 08:22 #

OMG! This is great! I am doing a bake sale for the kids in Pakistan too.. 14th of Oct!
    Awesome job in getting kids involved. HUGS!

6. Mr. Neil October 5, 2010 at 08:43 #

Mmmm. I should have sent Mardi to work with some pin money.

7. A Canadian Foodie October 5, 2010 at 09:04 #

Great opportunity for your students. Love it. These are the memories that carry them through life. Even they can make a difference.
    valerie

8. 5 Star Foodie October 5, 2010 at 09:20 #

A wonderful baking sale for a great cause! Your boys did a fantastic job!

9. Megan October 5, 2010 at 09:48 #

What a wonderful way to teach your students about both cooking and giving to the global community. Great job!

10. Roxan October 5, 2010 at 11:04 #

Great job with your 24×24! It’s a most excellent way to get the kids involved, and I bet they had an absolute blast. Plus, it was super cute. I love the poster and the spread looked amazing.

11. Lora October 5, 2010 at 11:47 #

Looks like a wonderful, yummy, feel good event. What a great way to get kids involved with helping others. Bravo.

12. Lawyer Loves Lunch October 5, 2010 at 12:01 #

Mardi, as a Pakistani-American, I am so honored to be your blog friend. Props to you for inspiring kids to be generous and selfless :)

13. Ruby October 5, 2010 at 12:29 #

Now THAT’s what I’m talking ’bout! Really cool and I also love that you are getting young boys interested in cooking. Two thumbs WAY UP!

14. RhodeyGirl October 5, 2010 at 13:11 #

LOVE this idea!!!

I wonder if I could run a cooking club for kids even if I don’t have any myself?!?!

15. Kimmy October 5, 2010 at 13:37 #

I love the idea of a cooking club for kids, especially boys! Everything looks fantastic, and a whole lot of fun. Great idea!

16. torviewtoronto October 5, 2010 at 17:17 #

lovely cause

17. Geoff October 5, 2010 at 20:49 #

Lovely post/gesture, Mardi.
    In particular I liked that you engaged the boys in a practical way in something as real as the Pakistan catastrophe; but also that (unlike so much food commentary these days) nobody gets hung up about so-called healthy/unhealthy foods. Chocolate crackles – the tasty staple of a childhood…. well done.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 7, 2010 at 20:13 #

Thanks Dad, it’s not always easy to open little people’s eyes to something so huge as the disaster in Pakistan. And when it comes to bake sales, all bets are off (as are all diets) re: the ingredients. Who wants a low fat bake sale?

18. Damaris October 6, 2010 at 00:06 #

Congrats on such an awesome project. Those honey treats look awesome. I’m for sure going to be trying out that recipe. I love corn flakes with honey.

19. Anna Johnston October 6, 2010 at 02:09 #

Great job Mardi – this sort of thing has such a great feel to it and the kids have a great time & do some good work at the same time.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 7, 2010 at 20:11 #

Yes I was pleased that we were able to use what we have to help others less fortunate in a fun way…

20. shaz October 6, 2010 at 07:02 #

Absolutely great idea Mardi. Fabulous job boys! Sounds like the sale was a great success.

21. Sharlene (Wheels and Lollipops) October 6, 2010 at 07:23 #

What a great idea Mardi, and I bet the boys loved seeing people buy their treats. What a great lesson to teach them.

22. Evan @swEEts October 6, 2010 at 14:27 #

How cool! I would have absolutely bought something from your lovely bake sale!

23. saltyseattle October 6, 2010 at 21:39 #

Your petits chefs are hard at work, Miss M! I am sensing that you could put together a successful business model involving these little cutie pies and your fantastical imagination. LOVE this one.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 7, 2010 at 20:10 #

You know Linda, I have a fantasy job in my mind where I teach kids French through cooking….. Doesn’t THAT sound appealing?

24. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction October 7, 2010 at 16:22 #

What a great idea to get kids involved… Those baked goods look mighty good!

25. Easy Salad Recipe October 10, 2010 at 23:43 #

Love the site.

26. BuyFFXIVAccount October 22, 2010 at 03:32 #

So nice to know that you let your kids participate and they cooperate too! Great job!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 22, 2010 at 05:24 #

Thanks – actually it’s their choice to be in the club and they were pretty happy to help out less fortunate children than themselves through baking!

27. cat November 5, 2010 at 17:25 #

mardi, you and your boys never cease to amaze me. all in good ways. love, love, love that you are teaching that we often care for others through what we create in our kitchens and that the hand of friendship and compassion can reach far beyond our own neighborhood. truly inspiring!