International Incident Party: Eggs

For this month’s International Incident Party, Penny challenged us to work with eggs.  I have to admit this had me scratching my head as there are simply so many possibilities – sweet or savoury, I couldn’t decide.  What I *really* wanted to do was a soufflé but circumstances (including my blasted hand that is *still* not 100% and particularly dislikes anything to do with baking, as you will see in my upcoming Daring Bakers’ post) prevented me from attempting this most delicate of French delicacies (but that will be for another time, I promise, it’s definitely on my baking bucket list).

I was still inspired by the idea that the French do wonderful things with eggs though and turned to Julia Child for some inspiration.  As I flipped through the pages, I saw so many dishes I want to make eventually but when I turned to page 604 and saw chocolate mousse, I knew I had found my dish.  (I am dedicating this dish to my dad – it’s his birthday today and I *know* he would like it if I were there making this for him!)

Julia’s mousse is different from other mousse recipes I have tried before because it uses egg yolks, sugar and butter instead of simply cream and beaten egg whites, and the egg yolks are cooked in a similar way to how you would make a hollandaise sauce (cooking it like a custard over heat then beating it until creamy over a cold-water bath).  This custardy goodness (along with the addition of butter to the melted chocolate) brings a richness to the mousse that you simply don’t get with cream and beaten egg whites.  It’s a keeper recipe for sure.

To serve, you can either enjoy it as is…

Or with a little whipped cream, orange zest and finely grated chocolate on top…

Stunning, no?

I absolutely loved this mousse – it was rich without being cloying and sickly and oh my, the texture…  It was not light and fluffy the way many mousses are.  It was thick and spreadable – in fact I did contemplate having it on toast ;-)  It’s a much more substantial mousse than a whipped cream wimpy one. This is, indeed, the crème de la crème, only sans crème.

This *will* become my standard mousse recipe – I had it made in under 45 minutes too!

Did you check out my latest entry for Project Food Blog?  I advanced to round 2!  If you like my Lao chicken laap, please consider voting for me between 6AM Pacific Time September 27th and 6PM Pacific Time September 30th.  Click here to see the entry and vote!

As a thanks for reading, I’m also hosting a $75 CSN Stores gift card giveaway – click here to enter before 6pm EST on September 26th.

Edited to add: This recipe is the JC100 recipe for the week of May 14th 2012. Since I already made it (and don’t need a mousse this week!) I’ll submit this one as my “entry”. The JC100 celebrates what would have been Julia’s 100th birthday in August 2012 by inviting bloggers to recreate some of her most famous dishes!

, , , ,

60 Responses to International Incident Party: Eggs

1. Trix September 25, 2010 at 21:27 #

Ooh, pretty! I love that you went with a Julia Child recipe – that was definitely on my short list. (Not this one, but anything Julia Child!!) Well done and props to you for fighting through with your hand still not up and running. Well, but you are one tough chick – good for you. Well done!!! (Congrats on making it through round 1 by the way.)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 28, 2010 at 22:05 #

I got sucked into reading a fair chunk of Julia as I was looking for this recipe actually – to me it reads like a book..

2. Jo @ secondhelping September 25, 2010 at 22:09 #

The French do seem to do eggs well don’t they? Your mousse looks amazingly light and fluffy, a stellar effort with your hand causing you pain.

3. 5 Star Foodie September 25, 2010 at 22:22 #

This chocolate mousse looks amazing! The texture is wonderful!

4. Conor @ HoldtheBeef September 25, 2010 at 23:44 #

That texture is incredible, almost like a cake! I know quite a lot of people who aren’t too keen on mousse, probably after having so much bad chocolate mousse at the Pizza Hut dessert station when young, but I am sure this would bring them around in an instant.

Beautiful photos too, your hand is at least playing fair in that respect.

And…. YAYAYAY you got through to to the next round. No surprise, of course, but yay nonetheless :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 28, 2010 at 22:04 #

Oh it’s totally cake-like. Cheesecake-like in texture in fact :-) And ugh – had not thought about the PH dessert station until now. Thanks – I will try not to dream about that tonight!

5. bcgw September 26, 2010 at 00:00 #

beautiful photos. love those square little ramekins, where did you get them? ;)

6. penny aka jeroxie September 26, 2010 at 01:58 #

Tempting me with chocolate! Your photos are improving by the post!!

Good luck on your next round…. VOTE VOTE VOTE~

Thanks for joining the party!

7. Belinda @zomppa September 26, 2010 at 02:28 #

Stunning? Yes. Such a lovely dessert.

8. pegasuslegend September 26, 2010 at 06:22 #

looks wonderful and congrats again~ good luck

9. My Restaurants Melbourne September 26, 2010 at 06:40 #

Oh that chocolate mousse looks so yummy. and you garnished it off so nicely too.

10. Emma @CakeMistress September 26, 2010 at 07:26 #

Gorgeous photos of the chocolate mousse. That texture sounds so heavenly, I have a major mousse craving right now!

Congratulations on reaching the next round of Project Food Blog too.

11. Cherrie September 26, 2010 at 07:36 #

wow. the chocolate mousse looks so good!

12. Shirley September 26, 2010 at 08:14 #

Now this is one mousse I’d like to have right now!

13. AmandaP September 26, 2010 at 09:07 #

This is a breakfast item, right?!? I mean it has eggs…and dairy…so perfect for breakfast :-)

14. Cherine September 26, 2010 at 09:14 #

This chocolate mousse looks absolutely yummy!

15. Barbara Bakes September 26, 2010 at 09:23 #

Love the idea of a baking bucket list. I’ll have to write one. I’m not a huge fan of mousse because of all the fluff. I think I’d love this one!

16. torviewtoronto September 26, 2010 at 10:14 #

Delicious texture

17. Christine @ Fresh Local and Best September 26, 2010 at 12:07 #

I’ve forgotten how wonderful, decadent and luxurious chocolate mousse is until read this post. Yours looks so fluffy and creamy!

18. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz September 26, 2010 at 12:11 #

That is a thick and sumptuous mousse, and no wonder with the custard like cooking. I bet a few spoons are enough!

19. Nancy/SpicieFoodie September 26, 2010 at 12:46 #

Oh your chocolate mousse looks superb! What wonderful photos too. Congrats on advancing and continued luck and success.

20. Meghan@travelwinedine September 26, 2010 at 16:03 #

Yumm! One of my all time favorite desserts, and this looks simply amazing!

21. French Cooking for Dummies September 26, 2010 at 18:14 #

Oh My, Mardi! Your mousse looks so thick, yummm! I’m definitely going to give this recipe a try :D

22. Anna Johnston September 26, 2010 at 21:00 #

Mmm, love this & don’t think I’ve ever had a Julia Childs recipe not work, adore her stuff. Well done.

23. Iron Chef Shellie September 26, 2010 at 21:45 #

mmmmm… now why didn’t I think of chocolate mousse! I must get me a Julia Child book! looks amazing!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 28, 2010 at 22:00 #

See all I could really think was desserts! Then I saw all the other contributions and wondered if I was wrong!

24. Sophia Lee September 27, 2010 at 01:02 #

Aaaah! So luscious! Chocolate mousse is the devil counterpart to the white eggs. sinful, but so, so irresistible!

25. Sharlene (Wheels and Lollipops) September 27, 2010 at 05:47 #

Julia would be proud ! My French mother in law who is the queen of chocolate mousse would be proud. She can judge them just by their color and texture. Great job Mardi

26. make my day September 27, 2010 at 06:07 #

I loved penny’s post today with all of the contributions from such interesting people from around the globe! love it. the mousse looks and sounds pretty spectacular! cheers kari

27. Mhe-lhanee September 27, 2010 at 07:10 #

I love your presentation and your dedication for this challenge Mardi! and Im glad to read another marvelous blog entry, featuring the “real” unfamiliar Asian cuisine! I can relate to you, the struggle and search for the perfect recipe of your most favorite dish. You definitely got my vote dear! will save your link in the future! Cheers!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 28, 2010 at 21:59 #

Thanks – I think you meant to comment on my PFB post but I appreciate your vote and you reading!

28. RavieNomNoms September 27, 2010 at 11:34 #

Wow, that mousse looks great!

29. Honey September 28, 2010 at 00:05 #

this looks so good, light, and fluffy. OMG..decadent. of course, anything julia child makes would be good.

30. Dawn September 28, 2010 at 16:10 #

Mmmm what a delicious approach to eggs! We like to make Pots de Creme — heavenly but dense!

31. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction September 28, 2010 at 21:55 #

That chocolate mousse looks incredible… great choice!

32. Jason Phelps September 28, 2010 at 22:44 #

I was lucky enough as a kid to get the WGBH (Boston) broadcast in Connecticut where I lived. I remember watching Julia with my Mom. I own her books but don’t get back to them often enough.

I need some mousse.

Jason

33. Kocinera October 2, 2010 at 20:25 #

That chocolate mousse looks gorgeous! I’ve never made it myself, but I love Julia’s recipes, so I’m thinking I must give this a try. You made it look so delicious, too! :D

34. Marisa October 7, 2010 at 06:41 #

That mousse looks decadent! And if it’s a Julia Child recipe, it’s definitely a keeper.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention International Incident Party: Eggs -- Topsy.com - September 25, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by jeroxie, Mardi. Mardi said: International Incident Party… http://goo.gl/fb/JlSAa #french #internationalincident #juliachild #dessert #mousse [...]

2. Round up #7 - International Incident Eggs Party | Addictive and consuming - A Melbourne food blog - September 26, 2010

[...] Mardi of Eat Live Travel Write – Chocolate mousse [...]