CIA Greystone: Cooking demonstration

Possibly not quite recovered from our sugar coma brought on by the night before’s “Sweet Finale” dessert tasting plate, mum, Rosemary and I headed back to CIA Greystone the following morning for a cooking demonstration.

When I was booking online, I was excited to see this dish lined up for the day we were able to go – I love all sorts of sauces but am a particular fan of salsa verde.  For $15 (one hour demo and tastings) it’s great value.  It’s wonderful to watch the chef working in the gorgeous kitchen.

Our personable chef Andrew Wild kept us entertained throughout the hour as he talked us through the recipes and gave us tips and tricks, as well as answered questions.  As Chef worked on the dishes, each step was documented on the screens above the workspaces.  From the mise en place

To the cooking and plating…

Between watching Chef at work and watching the screens, it’s all there!

During the class, the concierge operated the camera and interspersed the culinary goings on with useful information:

The result? A simple dish (45 minutes start to finish) that tastes like you’ve spent WAY more time in the kitchen…

What I loved about this demo was the simplicity of the dish and the fact that Chef gave everyone ingredient substitutions and ideas for different ways to use the salsa.  It’s a very versatile dish that you walked away from the demo feeling “I can make that” which, so often does not happen at higher end cooking demos.  The tasting plate was just enough to make you want more. And want to make this at home!

20 Responses to CIA Greystone: Cooking demonstration

1. Belinda @zomppa August 20, 2010 at 07:41 #

What a great presentation – almond? I bet that adds such great flavor. Yeah, that is definitely a dish to try at home.

2. Mr. Neil August 20, 2010 at 08:32 #

Am looking forward to Mardi preparing this dish for me, which I can pair with a nice cab from Grgich Hills, which is where I was during the demo. :-)

3. Jamie August 20, 2010 at 10:54 #

This looks like great fun! What a fab trip! And love the dish, looks delicious! More adventures! And your husband is too funny!

4. jenjenk August 20, 2010 at 12:20 #

I’ve always wanted to do this! thanks for the look inside the demo!

5. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction August 20, 2010 at 15:43 #

Yum… That looks like a great dish! The salsa verde sounds like something I would love.

6. Anna Johnston August 20, 2010 at 18:11 #

I love cooking demonstrations done like this, your so right…. done properly you leave having not only been entertained but left with the desire & knowledge to dash home & give great cooking like this a go.
    Cheers Anna

7. My Restaurants Melbourne August 20, 2010 at 20:08 #

cooking demonstrations are a great way to learn more from other chefs, He looks so friendly and entertaining, looks like you had a great time. The pictures are fabulous

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite August 23, 2010 at 09:33 #

Thanks so much. Yes, I think a lot really depends on the personality of the chef demonstrating. We were lucky!

8. penny aka jeroxie August 21, 2010 at 08:41 #

I love cooking demonstrations especially ones where there are questions and answers.

9. Conor @ HoldtheBeef August 23, 2010 at 10:13 #

Oh god, look at that wall of pots and pans. I want a pots and pans wall.

I share your enthusiasm about salsa verde. Not sure it is up there with my enthusiasm for masses of hanging pots and pans, but it’s pretty close.

10. cat September 6, 2010 at 22:14 #

wow, that salsa verde does look good! i hope you’ll share the recipe when you make it. :)