Bon Appétit RSVP Redux August: Toffee Pecan and Peach Crisp

Now, you wouldn’t normally think of a crisp as being a summer dessert but as I write this from something like 6800 feet just outside Yosemite National Park, it sure feels like the perfect weather for it!

This month for RSVP Redux (where bloggers recreate the dishes people have written to Bon Appétit magazine requesting recipes for memorable dishes they have eaten out), I chose to use up my glut of farmers market peaches that I bought for my Ontario Tender Fruit recipe experimentation in this fabulous summer dessert.  I changed it up a little based on what ingredients (instead of the pecans the recipe called for, I got to use some of my fabulous California Walnuts) I had on hand but it turned out fabulously. I will be making this again.

I really enjoyed this, though am not normally a fan of cooked peaches.  The hint of orange from the juice paired well with the slight chocolate flavour from the Skor and the topping was nice and crunchy, just the way I like it!

Hey Canadian readers – don’t forget to enter my all-Canadian giveaway - closes on Tuesday August 10th at 5pm EST.

49 Responses to Bon Appétit RSVP Redux August: Toffee Pecan and Peach Crisp

1. penny aka jeroxie August 5, 2010 at 05:24 #

That makes a great snack!

2. A Canadian Foodie August 5, 2010 at 07:40 #

Gorgeous photos! YUM! Though I know I am blessed to be travelling so many places, and for so long… (toooooo long), I am dying to be at home doing exactly what you are doing… though you are not home, either, now! I want to be home cooking! … and gardening. This recipe looks absolutely scrumptious: an updated take on a traditional staple. I will definitely try it, too. We get great peaches from BC at the beginning of August, and I will be home next week.
    Valerie

3. Belinda @zomppa August 5, 2010 at 08:02 #

Its good any time. Hope you’re having fun!

4. Iron Chef Shellie August 5, 2010 at 08:34 #

looks AMAZING! I would love to try this :)

5. Jun Belen August 5, 2010 at 09:47 #

I love crisps! I love how the cream (or ice cream) melts over the crisp and fruit — apples or peaches or nectarines. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Lovely blog you have.

6. k August 5, 2010 at 10:16 #

Wonderful recipe! Love the Skor bar addition, and your photos are lovely. Sounds like you are in a beautiful location… We have friends in Oakhurst (outside of Yosemite) and visit often. One of our favorite places!

7. Cookin' Canuck August 5, 2010 at 10:52 #

That toffee walnut topping is over the top (in a really good way). I hope you’re enjoying Yosemite. It’s such a beautiful part of the world. If you have a chance, check out MoMart, a restaurant in the Tioga Gas Mart (seriously) on the east side of the park , in Lee Vining (little ways north of Mammoth Lakes). They serve things like lobster taquitos, buffalo meatloaf, and incredible mango margaritas.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite August 7, 2010 at 09:43 #

Got this message too late to check out MoMart (though we were in the store part of the gas station). We stayed in Lee Vining – loved the place!

8. The Cilantropist August 5, 2010 at 10:59 #

Mmm, I love the warmth and flavor of cooked peaches… and the texture too, they get creamy and soft… Ok, I better make this soon before my stomach starts growling too loud. :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite August 7, 2010 at 09:42 #

Yes the texture was surprisingly good – as I say, normally am not one for cooked peaches…

9. torviewtoronto August 5, 2010 at 14:59 #

looks wonderful

10. Chef Dennis August 5, 2010 at 17:23 #

that is one incredible crisp! I love that skor bar in the mix! what a great way to use some of our wonderful peaches!

11. Andrea August 5, 2010 at 17:29 #

I just drooled a little. This is one for the bookmarks.
    (Though I’m also hungry. Neither lunch nor snack were enough today.)

12. Kablooey August 5, 2010 at 18:03 #

This sounds SO good, and with the hint of chocolate, I would even be able to order it in the restaurant. (rules of the secret society mandate that I order a chocolate dessert. So much for the secret). Oh! I’m an hour away from eating food cooked by Marcus samuelsson. Check out post going up tonight. Are you going to write while actually climbing el capitan? Because it wouldn’t surprise me.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite August 7, 2010 at 09:41 #

No major hikes for us this trip! Way too hot and parents in tow… But some awesome scenery (coming up on the blog soon). JEALOUS of you being at BlogHer and dinner with Marcus!

13. Island Vittles August 5, 2010 at 18:21 #

That last picture made my mouth water — instantly. And Pavlov didn’t even need to ring his bell! Theresa

14. Anna Johnston August 5, 2010 at 18:47 #

Its still winter down under so this looks perfect to try out tonight! I like the tangy orange addition, a little different. Cheers Anna

15. Bistro Gerard August 5, 2010 at 19:21 #

This looks delicious! I can’t wait for peach season now – we live in Australia so we’ve still got a few months to go before we can enjoy fresh stone fruit – sigh…..

16. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction August 5, 2010 at 23:19 #

Lovely! I saw this recipe in Bon Appetit and was thinking of making it. Unfortunately I haven’t had time to even think about it yet. I keep saying things will slow down soon… and I’m still waiting for that to happen! :)

17. Evan @swEEts August 5, 2010 at 23:50 #

Looks delicious! I love Bon Appetit magazine and anything with peaches is good in my book :)

18. Andra@FrenchPressMemos August 6, 2010 at 00:52 #

First, that looks outrageous. I have a sweet tooth and passion for peaches and that combination struck a sensitive cord!

Second, I feel honorarily part Canadian- since I have a sister-in-law complete with husband and baby who are Canadian citizens living in Vancouver. We’re set to visit them in a week and absolutely cannot wait! Love love love Canada!

19. Simply Life August 6, 2010 at 06:43 #

wow, it’s not even 7am and I’m drooling over that :)

20. Tsering Yangki August 6, 2010 at 13:01 #

I just had lunch…and I thought I was stuffed until I saw your photos…

21. cat August 7, 2010 at 06:27 #

looks as good as it was described in the magazine!

22. Jamie August 7, 2010 at 10:51 #

You back yet, Mardi? I’d love to travel to that part of the country and see the amazing sites. This peach crisp looks fabulous!

23. Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle August 7, 2010 at 12:02 #

I made this too; but subbed a LOT! Still, was so good. I have a wonderful apple crisp recipe that calls for some booze too; seems that is what kicks them up a notch!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite August 11, 2010 at 10:00 #

Well I didn’t use the amaretto it called for since I don’t like it but this was still delicious!

24. jillyann August 7, 2010 at 17:25 #

This is lovely! Great job…and thanks for posting such a great recipe.

25. Conor @ HoldtheBeef August 9, 2010 at 02:29 #

I love the thought of a pulverised chocolate bar. Even better, 3 pulverised chocolate bars. The crisp is quite nice too :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. August 2010 Recipes from Bon Appetit RSVP — RSVP Redux - August 13, 2010

[...] Toffee, Pecan and Peach Crisp Nick’s Bar and Fish House, New Buffalo Eat, Live, Travel, Write [...]

2. Whole Wheat Peach Pancakes Recipe | Guilty Kitchen - September 16, 2011

[...] and Plum Tart on Eyes Bigger Than My Stomach Peach and Strawberry Cream Cobbler on Eat the Love Toffee Pecan and Peach Crisp on Eat Live Travel [...]