International Incident Party – Tacos

This month’s International Incident Party theme was tacos!

Since I kind of slacked off the past couple of parties, you know when I didn’t make my own dumpling wrappers and then when Conor and I didn’t make noodles from scratch… I figured I better pick up my game this time.

I hunted around for some corn tortillas from scratch and found a few recipes, including this one from In Jennie’s Kitchen that gave me hope – if her little girls can make them, I should be able to, right?

My inspiration came later on when I was in the grocery store and I spied a packet of blue corn meal and I knew I wanted to make blue corn tortillas.  I used this recipe from Food Network and whilst they didn’t come out as professional as I would have liked them, I was fairly pleased with the results.  Next time I make them, I would definitely add a little less water or more flour and rest the little balls of dough a bit longer before I roll them out. They were kind of sticky and hard to roll, hence the odd shapes.

Would I make them again? Definitely – they were so tasty and it was really satisfying to make them from scratch. My guests were impressed and ate them all up – and they weren’t just being polite!

We made breakfast tortillas with black beans, eggs scrambled with feta, guacamole from scratch and a cherry tomato salsa with lime dressing.

Pretty much your perfect breakfast!

Thanks for coming everyone!!! Can’t wait til next month!

Don’t forget to check out everyone’s contributions:

69 Responses to International Incident Party – Tacos

1. Anh July 17, 2010 at 21:09 #

I would love to get my hand on that blue corn meal!! I think I finally can track it down here in Australia! That is so delicious!

2. Jen Laceda July 17, 2010 at 21:17 #

i actually love that rustic look and feel on the blue corn tortillas! bravo! i actually want to eat them straight out of my screen, since i am also pining for a trip t Mexico! hopefully, to san miguel de allende and guanajuato!

3. Tris July 17, 2010 at 21:29 #

I love that you used blue corn, that’s great. I agree with the previous poster that the rustic look of these tacos is incredibly appealing. And you know a breakfast taco is genius! Well done, girl!

4. Jo @ secondhelping July 17, 2010 at 21:43 #

What delicious looking breakfast tacos! I wanted to make blue corn tortillas too but couldn’t find any blue mesa flour here.

5. penny aka jeroxie July 17, 2010 at 21:56 #

breakfast tacos sounds sumptious. All is forgiven now ;) You have redeemed yourself…. hehehee

6. Tracey@Tangled Noodle July 17, 2010 at 22:27 #

Love your homemade blue corn tortillas! It’s my turn to miss IIP this month but after seeing all the great entries for the Taco Party, I will certainly get in gear to join in the fun. Now, wish I were having these for breakfast tomorrow . . .

7. bcgw July 17, 2010 at 22:39 #

Oh……………that looks SO good.

8. healthy mamma July 17, 2010 at 23:21 #

i love you i love you i love you! Just when a girl starts thinking she has the worlds best taco recipe, she finds this one! Holy Yum!
    I can not wait to make these!

9. Iron Chef Shellie July 17, 2010 at 23:48 #

Nice work! I’d love to try those blue corn tortillas!

10. Emma @CakeMistress July 17, 2010 at 23:50 #

Wowee! The colour of the taco shell is stunning against the guacamole and salsa. Nice work

11. Belinda @zomppa July 18, 2010 at 00:41 #

Impressive! Great breakfast!

12. Christine@Christine's Recipes July 18, 2010 at 01:25 #

Welcome back for the International party.
    The blue corn meal is quite to me as well, but love to try some time. What a creative idea of making tortillas.

13. Tamar July 18, 2010 at 04:03 #

I love the look of blue cornmeal. I don’t know if blue cornmeal tastes different from regular cornmeal but I just love the uniqueness of it.

14. Cherrie July 18, 2010 at 07:06 #

I love the looks of your tortilla. Nice one!

15. Shirley July 18, 2010 at 07:35 #

Not only blue but so healthy, what with the guac and all. Doubtlessly inspiring.

16. Rochelle (Acquired Taste) July 18, 2010 at 10:54 #

I love this breakfast taco! If I ever make any corn tortillas, I’ll definitely be trying the blue corn flour for it :D

17. Nicole @ The Dirty Oven July 18, 2010 at 10:57 #

Wow. Impressive! I would be so scared to make my own tortillas. Can I have some for breakfast too please! Thanks for sharing.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 18, 2010 at 15:43 #

Now I have made them once and they weren’t a total disaster, I feel much more confident – try them, you would be surprised!

18. viviane bauquet farre / food & style July 18, 2010 at 11:31 #

FANTASTIC Mardi! I love how making the simplest things can be the most delicious and satisfying. You’ve inspired me to make my own tortillas!

19. Daydreamer Desserts July 18, 2010 at 11:47 #

Way to add color to your breakfast, yum… you totally stepped up this time!

20. Nancy/SpicieFoodie July 18, 2010 at 12:00 #

Wow your tacos look and sound great! I’ve never had blue corn tortillas but I would love to try them, made my mouth water. I also participated in the IIP :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 18, 2010 at 15:42 #

I’ve only had them once before but I remember loving the colour so when I saw the blue cornmeal in the store, I knew I had to have them!

21. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz July 18, 2010 at 12:51 #

Oh great idea using blue corn tortillas.

22. jenjenk July 18, 2010 at 14:44 #

these look beautiful!!! and yummy…

23. girlichef July 18, 2010 at 16:07 #

Oh! The blue cornmeal is so pretty. I have a hard time finding it around here…so I’m trying to procure a grinder…so I can make my own!! Your tacos look amazing =)

24. Magic of Spice July 18, 2010 at 19:21 #

Oh my goodness…I don’t suppose you have any left overs? :) These look fantastic, and I am crazy about blue corn tortillas!

25. Tami July 19, 2010 at 01:21 #

Well all I can say is YUM YUM YUM YUM. That coming from someone who is kinda partial to Mexican food – why else would she be having a Mexican Cantina party for her birthday!!

So in light of the upcoming festivities, how fitting your post appeared now as I am planning on making my own tortillas albeit the cheats version – I own a tortilla press!!

Any chance of sharing the tomato salsa with lime dressing recipe. It’s lime and tomato a-go-go in my garden at the moment. Thanks.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 25, 2010 at 08:15 #

Jealous of the tortilla press! The tomato salsa is simply tomatoes with cilantro and fresh lime juice. That’s it!

26. Barbara Bakes July 19, 2010 at 08:51 #

What a fun idea for breakfast for guests. Then everyone can make them just the way they want them.

27. Sarah, Maison Cupcake July 19, 2010 at 09:59 #

Wow, they look great! I wish I knew where to get blue corn meal in the UK as I’m trying to avoid wheat at the moment.

28. Jason Phelps July 19, 2010 at 11:52 #

I made regular tortillas this weekend. Similar experience. In the end they came out good enough for me to want to play around a bit and see if I couldn’t get a good recipe and process down.

Awesome dish, I need it right now!!

Jason

29. Andrea@High/Low July 19, 2010 at 22:28 #

Beautiful! I could eat that for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

30. Adelina July 20, 2010 at 02:14 #

I wish I could have them tomorrow for breakfast. It’s my birthday!

31. Conor @ HoldtheBeef July 20, 2010 at 03:41 #

I love it! Perfect breaky! Big kudos for making blue corn tortillas. I bought a packet of blue corn something mix for my sister in Santa Fe, maybe I might have to hang onto it..

No taco joy for me :( was planning to do it at the last second after getting home from Bali, but Mr Belly was a little unhappy and the thought of cooking and eating was a little difficult. Next incident fo shizzle though!

32. Christine @ Fresh Local and Best July 20, 2010 at 12:11 #

I love the aroma and toasty flavors of fresh corn tortilla. I’ve never tried it with blue corn meal, but I’m looking forward to making it soon. I’m sure it was a nice variation from the traditional white / yellow tortilla.

33. k a b l o o e y July 20, 2010 at 12:36 #

Wow, does that look beautiful and delicious. Fresh corn tortillas are so good — I’ve only had them in restaurants, mind you, never at home, and yours look wonderful. And I bet the learning curve will be quicker than for macarons, so you’ll perfect yours in no time.

34. Carolyn Jung July 22, 2010 at 00:02 #

Now, THAT is a breakfast of champions! Who wouldn’t love a homemade blue corn tortilla first thing in the morning. Heck, those look so good, I bet they’re fabulous just smeared with butter. Mmmm!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 25, 2010 at 08:01 #

Oh I didn’t even think about simply butter – but yes, now you come to mention is – YUM!

35. Bonita July 22, 2010 at 12:56 #

Gorgeous, as always! Where did you buy your blue cornmeal?

36. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction July 22, 2010 at 21:24 #

So impressed by your homemade tortillas!! They look great! I definitely need to give them another shot.

37. Migrationology July 23, 2010 at 01:42 #

Those tortillas look incredible, the blue corn really adds a unique flavor. I am drooling over that breakfast taco right now, all the ingredients look delicious!

38. cat July 29, 2010 at 16:14 #

so impressive that you made your own tortillas!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention International Incident Party – Tacos -- Topsy.com - July 17, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Trix and eatlivetravelwrite, eatlivetravelwrite. eatlivetravelwrite said: International Incident Party – #Tacos http://goo.gl/fb/Q1uAC #internationalincident #breakfast #eat #recipes [...]

2. Round up #5 – International Tacos Incident Party | Addictive and consuming - A Melbourne food blog - July 19, 2010

[...] Mardi – Breakfast tacos with blue corn tortillas [...]