My macaron journey

Did you ever wonder how I went from the above macaron #fail to this:

Today I am guest posting on The Merry Gourmet so if you are interested in reading how you, too can strive for (and sometimes even achieve!) macaron perfection, head on over and check out my post!

And just so you know those pretty babies above are not a fluke or a one-off, look at these ones I brought to my lucky colleagues on the last day of school this week:

These succeeded even though I was absolutely exhausted from my Haitian cooking experience with Grade 6, proving that sometimes, going into mac making without too much thought (and fear!) may actually be the trick!!

I hope you enjoy my post!

37 Responses to My macaron journey

1. Jen Laceda June 18, 2010 at 12:16 #

You’re inspiring me to make macarons….but I’m waaaaay too nervous! Especially when I have 2 kids always ready to distract me!! Next time, next time…I’ve already saved / bookmarked your macaron recipe!

2. Fuji Mama June 18, 2010 at 12:30 #

Isn’t it amazing how quickly you can come so far? You are amazing my friend! :)

3. Belinda @zomppa June 18, 2010 at 12:36 #

I’m not sure what was wrong with your “before” photo either – they ALL look good. I will say those colors are gorgeous and happy. Happy happy.

4. Ken June 18, 2010 at 15:06 #

Your journey gives me hope that trial and error is the key to success. I learn from my mistakes and thanks to you and other’s encouragement, I’ve gain more knowledge than I could imagine. Thanks.

5. Kristina June 18, 2010 at 19:30 #

ha… I agree, your “fail” macaroons look great to me!! :)

the others are BEAUTIFUL! gorgeous summery colors… I have never attempted, I’d love to try just because it’s another excuse to use color in baking :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 22, 2010 at 06:40 #

Well the fail ones might look ok and they did taste good, but they most certainly are not macarons

6. Jamie June 19, 2010 at 08:26 #

Can I pretend that I had at least a small hand in pushing you to achieve perfect macarons? Oh well, but I am more than proud of you and think your macs are now fabulous!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 22, 2010 at 06:40 #

Oh you can more than pretend – without you guys pushing me to get it right, I might have given up. Wait, no I wouldn’t have but I would have been a lot less happy about the whole process!

7. deeba June 19, 2010 at 08:51 #

What a journey and so well shared. I’m glad we’ve been together for part of it, and can see the feet attaining perfection! One day my ‘FEET’ shall be perfect too, like yours Mardi, I have a dream!! {HUGS} xo

8. Jenn June 19, 2010 at 09:18 #

Parfait!!! You have perfect feet! I need a lot more practice, and an oven with more exact temperatures…

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 22, 2010 at 06:39 #

Yes the oven temperature thing really does play into it – I have finally figured out the perfect temp on my oven!

9. penny aka jeroxie June 19, 2010 at 10:20 #

I do not have the courage to make them yet. One day. Maybe.

10. sippitysup June 19, 2010 at 10:56 #

Macarons have become the single most beloved item in the food blog world. The challenge was well met by you. GREG

11. K a b l o o e y June 19, 2010 at 19:37 #

My, does this fairy tale have a happy ending. Maybe you could make a children’s book about the whole process.

12. socoda June 20, 2010 at 03:07 #

Having been inspired by so many bloggers I attempted my first batch of macarons 2 days ago – out of 7 trays of macarons I ended up with a grand total of 8 macarons that I considered perfect! I cannot tell you how happy I was. My attempt was a culmination of reading about fails and successes from a range of fantastic bloggers including yourself. I knew all the different things that I could expect both in failure and success and so was not disappointed with the results but was so happy I had achieved a couple of beautiful macarons. Thank you so much for detailing your journey and I hope that like yours, my journey too ends up with such spectacular results.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 22, 2010 at 06:37 #

Good for you – I remember having trays and trays of macs not work out to find ONE complete one amongst the debris! Keep at it – you will eventually get the hang of it!

13. Damon Baker June 20, 2010 at 06:12 #

MM. We are watching Masterchef Australia and the contestants are in London’s Langham Hotel and they are trying to make – macarons! Is everyone that obsessed with them? They look beautiful!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 22, 2010 at 06:36 #

Yes I was reading about that challenge on Twitter and they unfortunately called them macaroons :-( Boo to that. But they did have feet!

14. Linn @ Swedish Home Cooking June 20, 2010 at 07:48 #

Adorable. I lived in Paris for the spring and I had soo many lovely macarons. It was wonderful. Thanks for an inspiring post!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 22, 2010 at 06:36 #

You’re very welcome! I think you could probably sample a different macaron each day in Paris!

15. Geoff June 21, 2010 at 00:09 #

I posted a comment yesterday which appears to have ended up in that cyber graveyard we all know about but have never seen. My comment was in the form of a question: what’s the attraction for you of a macaron – its taste, its appearance or the clear difficulty in making them? And, if you were able to get a really good macaron in Canada, would you still bother to make them?

16. Cat June 22, 2010 at 22:29 #

oh, the last day of school macarons are pretty!

17. Christine @ Fresh Local and Best June 23, 2010 at 23:49 #

This is one of the things I found impressive about you – your persistence. The macarons are stunning!

18. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 24, 2010 at 17:00 #

Your macarons are stunning, as always!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention My macaron journey -- Topsy.com - June 18, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by eatlivetravelwrite, eatlivetravelwrite. eatlivetravelwrite said: #mactweets I guest posted on @merrymed about my journey to macaron perfection (or kinda sorta!) http://bit.ly/dswpud #fbz [...]