Liam spotted it as he was flipping through the Food Revolution Cookbook a few weeks ago.
“Can we make “a cracking burger” Mademoiselle?” was the plea. Why of course Liam, if something looks good to you, I am happy to help you make it! The boys got chopping and prepping and got their mise en place organised (with some – ahem – gently coaxing from yours truly!). We added portobello mushrooms in place of the red onions the recipe calls for for an added nutritional boost:
Doesn’t this look like an awesome burger slider? I opted for making mini burgers because I am totally in love with the mini burger buns from President’s Choice – and we all know how much I love the President, right?
Jamie’s Cracking Burgers
• 12 cream or plain crackers, such as Jacob’s
• 8 sprigs of fresh Italian parsley
• 2 heaped teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 1 pound good-quality ground beef
• 1 large egg, preferably free-range or organic
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Olive oil
• 1 romaine or butterhead lettuce
• 3 tomatoes
• 1 red onion
• 3 or 4 pickles
• 6 burger buns
Optional: 6 slices of Cheddar cheese
To make your burger:
Wrap the crackers in a kitchen towel and smash up until fine, breaking up any big bits with your hands, and put them into a large bowl .Finely chop the parsley, including the stalks. Add the parsley, mustard, and ground beef to the bowl. Crack in the egg and add a good pinch of salt and pepper. With clean hands, scrunch and mix everything up well. Divide into 6 and pat and mold each piece into a roundish shape about 3/4 inch thick. Drizzle the burgers with oil, put on a plate, cover and place in the refrigerator until needed (this helps them to firm up).
To cook your burger:
Preheat a large grill pan or frying pan for about 4 minutes on a high heat. Turn the heat down to medium. Place the burgers on the grill pan or in the frying pan and use a turner to lightly press down on them, making sure the burger is in full contact. Cook them to your liking for 3 or 4 minutes on each side — you may need to cook them in two batches.
To serve your burger:
Wash and dry a few small lettuce leaves, tearing up the larger ones
• Slice the tomatoes • Peel and finely slice the red onion • Slice the pickles lengthways as thinly as you can • Place all this on a platter and put in the middle of the table with plates, cutlery, ketchup, and drinks • Remove your burgers to another plate and carefully wipe your frying pan or grill pan clean with paper towels • Halve your burger buns and lightly toast them on the grill pan or in the frying pan • Also great with a chopped salad
Jamie says: PS I’d still make this quantity even if it was just for 4 people. I’d wrap the extra 2 burgers in plastic wrap and put them into the freezer.
Another fabulous recipe from Mr Oliver – 40 minutes start to finish (including some “breaks”!). Love that the boys saw how easy it is to make real burgers from scratch! Quote of the week comes from Oliver and Charles (combined): “Oh Em Gee – Outstanding!!!” 😀