Les Petits Chefs – Food Revolution Week 10

Liam spotted it as he was flipping through the Food Revolution Cookbook a few weeks ago.

“Can we make “a cracking burger” Mademoiselle?” was the plea. Why of course Liam, if something looks good to you, I am happy to help you make it!  The boys got chopping and prepping and got their mise en place organised (with some – ahem – gently coaxing from yours truly!).  We added portobello mushrooms in place of the red onions the recipe calls for for an added nutritional boost:

Then we got cooking:

And packed our Tupperware with goodies to take home:

Doesn’t this look like an awesome burger slider?  I opted for making mini burgers because I am totally in love with the mini burger buns from President’s Choice – and we all know how much I love the President, right?

Print This Post

Jamie’s Cracking Burgers

Ingredients
• 12 cream or plain crackers, such as Jacob’s
• 8 sprigs of fresh Italian parsley
• 2 heaped teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 1 pound good-quality ground beef
• 1 large egg, preferably free-range or organic
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Olive oil
• 1 romaine or butterhead lettuce
• 3 tomatoes
• 1 red onion
• 3 or 4 pickles
• 6 burger buns

Optional: 6 slices of Cheddar cheese

To make your burger:

Wrap the crackers in a kitchen towel and smash up until fine, breaking up any big bits with your hands, and put them into a large bowl .Finely chop the parsley, including the stalks. Add the parsley, mustard, and ground beef to the bowl. Crack in the egg and add a good pinch of salt and pepper. With clean hands, scrunch and mix everything up well. Divide into 6 and pat and mold each piece into a roundish shape about 3/4 inch thick. Drizzle the burgers with oil, put on a plate, cover and place in the refrigerator until needed (this helps them to firm up).

To cook your burger:

Preheat a large grill pan or frying pan for about 4 minutes on a high heat. Turn the heat down to medium. Place the burgers on the grill pan or in the frying pan and use a turner to lightly press down on them, making sure the burger is in full contact. Cook them to your liking for 3 or 4 minutes on each side — you may need to cook them in two batches.

To serve your burger:

Wash and dry a few small lettuce leaves, tearing up the larger ones

• Slice the tomatoes • Peel and finely slice the red onion • Slice the pickles lengthways as thinly as you can • Place all this on a platter and put in the middle of the table with plates, cutlery, ketchup, and drinks • Remove your burgers to another plate and carefully wipe your frying pan or grill pan clean with paper towels • Halve your burger buns and lightly toast them on the grill pan or in the frying pan • Also great with a chopped salad

Jamie says: PS I’d still make this quantity even if it was just for 4 people. I’d wrap the extra 2 burgers in plastic wrap and put them into the freezer.

Another fabulous recipe from Mr Oliver – 40 minutes start to finish (including some “breaks”!).  Love that the boys saw how easy it is to make real burgers from scratch!  Quote of the week comes from Oliver and Charles (combined): “Oh Em Gee – Outstanding!!!” :-D

33 Responses to Les Petits Chefs – Food Revolution Week 10

1. Shea M. June 2, 2010 at 05:18 #

I only found your blog recently (Twitter is a wonderful thing!) and I have to say I love these Les Petits Chefs posts! I don’t think enough kids are learning the joys of cooking, so bravo for showing them the light. I would love to do something like this myself when I’m back in the States. I love teaching, and I love food, what can be better?

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 3, 2010 at 06:49 #

Well my boys think it would be cool to learn French through cooking…. Working on that one… ;-)

2. penny aka jeroxie June 2, 2010 at 07:03 #

That is just great. I love these little burgers.

3. Belinda @zomppa June 2, 2010 at 07:24 #

I just read this in my new book (thanks to you!) and was intrigued by this one. Awesome to know it tastes as good as it looks!

4. miranda June 2, 2010 at 07:36 #

Saved. I love Jamie Oliver…I can’t wait to give it a try. =)

5. Stella June 2, 2010 at 10:43 #

Oh my…they look delicious! I want to try them out!

6. Mr. Neil June 2, 2010 at 11:14 #

Alas, I noted no Tupperware ™ of samples made it home for evaluation….

7. Laurie McRae June 2, 2010 at 12:29 #

Great “slider”/burger recipe. My Mom used to use very similar ingredients when she made burgers/meat loaf, but sub’d crushed bran/grape nut flakes for crackers. Adds a wonderful, nutty flavor & more fiber/nutritional value. :-)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 3, 2010 at 06:46 #

Yes that sounds interesting but baby steps, right? First of all identify that burgers don’t come from a box, then a little bit down the line, you can intro the really healthy hidden ingredients! ;-)

8. Teresa B June 2, 2010 at 14:10 #

The burgers/sliders taste as good as they look! The PC mini-burger buns were the perfect compliments to the burgers. We warmed up the ensemble with a quick steam and the “buns” were refreshed but not at all soggy.

Mardi, thank you for showing the boys that home cooking is a delicious and realistic alternative to dining out. We have looked forward to Tuesday night every week since the first week of Les Petits Chefs. We will need to adjust our dinner menu when Les Petits Chefs takes a break for the summer. break.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 3, 2010 at 06:45 #

Teresa – you know how much fun I have with the boys every week – quite frankly, I don’t know what I will do when Petits Chefs is over in 2 weeks!!! I hope the boys continue to practice in the kitchen over the summer!

9. Laura @ SoCal Sustenance June 2, 2010 at 14:25 #

This are killer! Love all the fresh veggies in there.. sounds like a fantastic kick off to summer dish

10. Dawn@CocinaSavant June 2, 2010 at 14:30 #

i love all of your posts, but i look forward to these so much. glad no one had any accidents this week!

11. Magic of Spice June 2, 2010 at 19:12 #

Love all the pics:) This is one handsome slidder!

12. Julie M. June 2, 2010 at 20:57 #

Those look yummy! I love that you made them mini as well. With a mini I don’t feel guilty if I eat two.

13. Casey Angelova June 3, 2010 at 00:55 #

I love what happens when I ask my dinner to decide what we will have for dinner. She usually makes good choices, but they revolve around chicken, tomatoes and potatoes. My girls are still a bit young but they love helping in the kitchen and the best mixers and putting stuff in girls I know!

14. Conor @ HoldtheBeef June 8, 2010 at 15:14 #

Phew, no finger chopping. How good it is for them to see that you can make your own fast food at home, and those baby buns are pretty cool!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 9, 2010 at 07:00 #

We might have some of those baby buns in the freezer when you come this weekend! And yes, I love that they can make their own burgers!

15. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 8, 2010 at 18:02 #

Those sliders look great! I love making burgers and haven’t made them in a while. Now I’m craving them!!

16. Scatteredmom June 10, 2010 at 00:18 #

Oh I LOVE those burgers. They make great meatballs, too if you want to try going that route. Jake made them and they were a hit!

• Thippi December 8, 2011 at 11:10 #

Awesome idea, thanks!

17. Thippi December 8, 2011 at 11:08 #

Your sliders are super cute! Will have to make this recipe again…as meatballs too :)