Les Petits Chefs – Food Revolution Week 6

This week I was down to three petits chefs due to sporting commitments and illness but the smaller number did not mean less enthusiasm.  The boys were raring to go at 3pm and in a way I was glad I had chosen a recipe that supposedly took only 19 minutes as it was more than do-able for my little chefs! (in fact, it took about 30 minutes but given I was giving instructions along the way and we were in a science lab turned kitchen, I think that’s pretty good going).

The boys worked with raw meat for the first time (I have dealt with it in previous weeks) and I was impressed to see how matter of fact they were about it.  Raw meat is not my favourite part of cooking, but the boys seemed very nonplussed and made sure to slice the chicken into same-sized pieces so they would cook evenly.  We sliced and washed leeks, juiced a lemon and chopped parsley whilst the rice cooked – I used a mix of wild and long grain rice.  I forgot to bring mushrooms this week which the recipe called for but it tasted just fine without it.  Me? I will be making this dish for Neil and me and am excited at the idea of different varieties of mushrooms and the earthy flavour they would bring to the dish.

My modification in red italics below.

Print This Post

Jamie Oliver’s Chicken and Leek Stroganoff

Serves 2
Ingredients

Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
150g long-grain or Basmati Rice (we used long grain and wild)
1 Large Leek
Big handful of Chestnut or Oyster Mushrooms (ooops – forgot these…)
2 Chicken Breasts
Olive Oil
a knob of butter
A glass of white wine (we used water)
A bunch of fresh parsley
285ml single cream (I used about half this – perhaps because there was less bulk due to the missing mushrooms)
1 Lemon

Method

Cook the rice according to the packet instructions in salted boiling water.  Drain the rice.

Cut both ends off the leek, quarter lengthways and then slice across thinly, then wash well under running water.  Slice the mushrooms.  Slice the chicken breasts into finger size pieces.

Put a large frying pan on a high heat and add a good lug of olive oil and the knob of butter.  Add the leek to the pan with the white wine and a small glass of water, and a good pinch of salt and pepper.  Let it bubble away for 5 minutes loosely covered with a piece of foil (I covered it with the lid half on).  Meanwhile, finely chop the parsley, stalks and all.  Remove the foil and add the chicken strips, most of the parsley, the cream and the mushrooms.  Stir, and bring back to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes.

Just before serving, cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice of one half into the stroganoff.  Season to taste.  Spoon rice onto each plate, and top with the stroganoff.  Scatter with the remainder of the chopped parsley.

Once again I had barely taken the picture before the forks were out and digging in.

Never mind chefs in the making, I think we might have some Food Network stars in our midst.  Charles had the quote of the day when he tasted the dish for the first time, he proclaimed: “Those flavours? Surprising. Surprisingly GOOD!”. Love it!

I can’t not mention how chuffed the boys were at their 15 minutes of fame last week.  First off, Jamie Oliver himself retweeted my tweet about their encounter with the Daring Bakers when they made Jamie’s microwave steamed puddings.  Then, on Sunday, we were featured in the Independent on Sunday newspaper (UK) in this article.

As Liam said: “When did cooking club get to be so famous?” and Oliver wondered if “everyone in the world” knew about Les Petits Chefs.  Nearly, Oliver, nearly!

32 Responses to Les Petits Chefs – Food Revolution Week 6

1. penny aka jeroxie May 5, 2010 at 08:46 #

Congras! That is such good effort. Hats off babe

2. The Cilantropist May 5, 2010 at 09:22 #

I love Jamie Oliver and I love even more that you are sharing his fabulous recipes with your Petit Chefs! :) Looks delicious, fresh, and simple, which is what his food aims for. Nice!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 8, 2010 at 08:23 #

Yes I cannot say we have had even one recipe that everyone didn’t love. This is a great cookbook!

3. Kenzie (Healthy Purpose) May 5, 2010 at 10:07 #

Glad the boys are getting recognition! The meal looks great.

4. Conor @ HoldtheBeef May 5, 2010 at 10:35 #

This is my kind of stroganoff. Leeks haven’t been seen in my kitchen for a long time, I’m not sure why as I really like leek. I guess it’s more a wintery veg which is probably why. I’ll be sure to make like a Welshman soon.

Great to know the boys were so good with the raw chicken! Next step: to debone a duck! ;)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 8, 2010 at 08:22 #

Yes it’s definitely a Conor-friendly stroganoff! And, errrr… deboning a duck? It will have to be a skill that I know first!!!

5. Pam May 5, 2010 at 11:15 #

This sounds delicious and looks great! I love Jamie’s recipes and that’s great with the boys!

6. gastroanthropologist May 5, 2010 at 11:22 #

I don’t really like touching raw meat either, especially raw chicken, but I firmly believe you should know how to cook your own food and know where it comes from. The best place to start is when you are a kid!

this looks simple and delicious. Yes, food network take note of les petits chefs!

7. 5 Star Foodie May 5, 2010 at 11:40 #

Wonderful dish and congratulations to you and the boys for getting the recognition, how great!

8. k a b l o o e y May 5, 2010 at 12:20 #

How fabulous! I didn’t realize they were so famous either. And to think, we knew them when. Are they getting cocky? Wearing sunglasses and signing autographs around school? Sighing and bemoaning their loss of privacy? Just kidding. How cool. They (and you) deserve every bit of attention. And the “surprising” quote is adorable.

9. Daydreamer Desserts May 5, 2010 at 13:17 #

What amazing work you are doing Mardi! :) I think I might just print this recipe out and have my boys take a stab at it.

10. Lauren @ Healthy Delicious May 5, 2010 at 16:14 #

This looks so good!

11. Chez Us May 5, 2010 at 19:24 #

Congrats! You are amazing & what a fantastic project!! I love it!

12. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 6, 2010 at 22:22 #

Congrats on the recent fame of Les Petits Chefs! Another lovely dish… And, it’s great that the boys are learning to deal with raw meat now. They’ll be better equipped to cook from scratch as they grow up!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 8, 2010 at 08:20 #

Yes that is my hope re: teaching them to work with ingredients whey might be a little squeamish about! Thanks for your comments!

13. Special K May 7, 2010 at 00:50 #

You are cooking more than food. You are cooking connection, responsibility, unique expression of preference and creativity. This made me want to hug you! And, get a cookbook. I’ve been in a rut lately!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 8, 2010 at 08:19 #

Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments – and watch out next week on my blog – there just *might* be a giveaway involving a cookbook!

14. Fuji Mama May 9, 2010 at 00:56 #

Bravo Petits Chefs! I’m so impressed with everything they accomplish every week! You show that so often we don’t give kids enough credit for what they are able to tackle!!

15. Scatteredmom May 9, 2010 at 13:13 #

I just scored my own copy of Food Revolution, and we plan to cook our way through it as well. There are some kids at work that I would love to teach how to make some simple things, and Jamie’s recipes are perfect for it!

Thanks for participating in Food Revolution Fridays! I think it’s fantastic that Jamie Oliver recognized what you guys are doing as well. Super cool!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 10, 2010 at 15:10 #

Thanks for organising the Food Revolution Fridays – so glad we’re all connecting through wanting to make changes… You’re going to love the book!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Friday Favorites – Episode 53 | my kitchen addiction - May 7, 2010

[...] I have to mention the wonderful Les Petits Chefs series over at eat. live. travel. write. Every week is a new adventure in cooking with kids, and it’s an amazing thing that Mardi is [...]

2. Chez Us » Hay Hay it’s Donna Day (Round-up) - May 18, 2010

[...] it could be a bit more spicy.  I am hoping she will decide to make this dish with her students of Le Petite Chefs [...]