To Australia, with love…

Happy Australia Day! To celebrate, I had an idea of combining this month’s Mactweets challenge which had a St Valentine’s Day theme and Mr P of Delicious, Delicious, Delicious“Reinvent the Lamington” challenge.

(Check yesterday’s post to find out what a lamington is and to see what I am bringing my colleagues in to work today.)

My idea was fairly simple. Chocolate macaron (following the recipe I received at my Macaron Masterclass in Paris) sandwiched with raspberry jam and vanilla frosting all sprinkled with coconut. All the flavours of a lamington, just a little more refined!

I had the customary glass of wine like I did last time – for good luck!

Going into the oven, I realised that I might have messed up the colouring ratios – they didn’t look quite dark enough. I do not have black colouring so was improvising – need to play with that next time. Why food colouring? Because cocoa will turn grey-ish when baked.

Coming out of the oven, there were some definite feet, but also some cracked tops:

But FEET, people! FEET!

The second tray apparently didn’t like waiting for the first tray to bake and many more of those cracked. However, this macaron graveyard was not quite as bad as this one, a couple of tries ago!

I mean, can you say TRIFLE? ETON MESS? I am sure I will find a use for those babies, no worries! I sandwiched them with vanilla frosting (icing sugar, butter and a drop of cream) and some raspberry jam…

Sprinkled some coconut on top and voilà: The macington. Happy Australia Day!

I liked the ones in the last photo because they look kind of tipsy. As one might on Australia Day, you know?

And if you really like the look of them, you could head on over to Peter’s site and vote for them (on the right sidebar).

38 Responses to To Australia, with love…

1. Divina Pe January 26, 2010 at 09:57 #

Very nice. You're getting better and better in doing this macaroons. Penny and I will visit you in Canada so you can give us lesson on how to make them. :D

2. Neil C. Phillips January 26, 2010 at 11:05 #

They were a hit with the wine club on Sunday — pre AD trial, you know. :-)

3. Deeba PAB January 26, 2010 at 11:15 #

NICE Mardi…I love your inspiration for these great macarons! Happy Australia Day!! And yes, the wine helps whichever way. I'm just rising from a double mac failure…but yeah Eton mess, trifle…all feature on my list!! At least you got some feet…I just got 1 FOOT!! LOL!! Thanks for playing along with MacTweets!!Yay for your macingtons!!

4. Mr. P January 26, 2010 at 11:16 #

Superb!

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 26, 2010 at 11:27 #

Hehe this is so clever! I love it Mardi! :D

6. penny aka jeroxie January 26, 2010 at 11:39 #

This is brilliant! Happy Aussie day for Melbourne. At least you have tried and made so many and HAVE FEET!

I have yet to bake my firsts….

7. Tokyo Terrace January 26, 2010 at 12:00 #

Beautiful! I have yet to enter the world of Macarons, but I hope to soon! I love the coconut on top- great addition!

8. Tangled Noodle January 26, 2010 at 12:32 #

What a great idea – the spirit of lamington in a macaron! I'm one of many who have yet to venture into 'mac'world but you and others make it look so easy. 8-)

9. Jamie January 26, 2010 at 12:58 #

I love the creativity and the flavors! I'd eat a plateful! You put your heart and soul into your macs! Great great macs! So glad to have you on our team!

10. Trix January 26, 2010 at 13:36 #

How cute is the photo of the macington on the flag?? love it!

11. Cocina Savant January 26, 2010 at 13:37 #

i love it! you're so creative! these look fun & delicious! you are quite the macaron maker :)

12. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 26, 2010 at 14:12 #

We don't typically celebrate Australia Day here, but I'd be willing to start if it means a glass of wine and macarons! Yum!

13. high low January 26, 2010 at 14:37 #

Congrats and Happy Australia Day! Your macarons look wonderful!!

14. lululu January 26, 2010 at 14:50 #

aww…..i could easily pop a dozen of these little cutie in my mouth! :P

15. Sandra Austoni January 26, 2010 at 15:59 #

Happy Australia Day!! I wish I could have one of your macaroons…

16. Anonymous January 26, 2010 at 16:29 #

These were the yummiest things I have EVER tasted. Thanks for sending them along to wine club.

Jennifer

17. K a b l o o e y January 26, 2010 at 19:10 #

Um… because macarons aren't enough of a challenge, or enough work? You amaze me. When do you sleep?

18. Fuji Mama January 26, 2010 at 20:22 #

What a fabulous idea!! You are a genius (as usual).

19. The Duo Dishes January 26, 2010 at 20:57 #

You did it! Congrats! And Happy Australia Day!

20. Fresh Local and Best January 26, 2010 at 21:32 #

Happy Australia Day! You tenacity for baking macarons impresses me!

21. Travel Eat Love January 26, 2010 at 23:44 #

Happy Australia Day! How yummy are those photos?!!

22. Gourmantic January 27, 2010 at 03:21 #

Mardi, we need to adopt you in Australia! :)

23. Mum M January 27, 2010 at 04:05 #

Macingtons! What a great idea. You seem to have mastered the macarons( I know you meant for a few to crack so you just HAD to eat them). The coconut looks yummy on top. Congrats. Happy Austraila Day.

24. Mae January 27, 2010 at 04:58 #

Mardi, I considered doing a sort of macaron for the challenge and I'm so glad I didn't because I couldn't have done it the justice you have. I love love these!

25. 5 Star Foodie January 27, 2010 at 05:35 #

A fun idea to combine lamingtons and macaroons into one delicious dessert! Happy Australia Day!

26. faithy, the baker January 27, 2010 at 06:23 #

Happy Australian Day! Such a great idea to combine macarons and lamingtons! And i think your macarons look awesome! :))

27. Brian Robinson January 27, 2010 at 13:02 #

These look great!

28. Nina January 27, 2010 at 16:46 #

Looks beautiful…i have always been unlucky with macaroons.Your looks great…probably an inspiration for me:)

29. Diana Bauman January 27, 2010 at 17:38 #

Your macaroons are looking great! I need to join in on this!!

30. Kitchen Butterfly January 27, 2010 at 21:54 #

Congratulations….great job with the feet too :-) Well done!!!!!!!!!

31. Tami January 27, 2010 at 23:28 #

Happy belated Australia Day. Those macs would have gone down a treat with the Oz Day lamb dinner. Ah well, just had to make do with a mars bar cheesecake…..

32. SilverMoon Dragon January 28, 2010 at 02:22 #

What a nifty idea. My preferred dessert on Australia Day is always Pavlova anyway, so this is a great compromise. Yum!

33. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite January 29, 2010 at 00:43 #

Divina – third time will be the real test!!!

Neil – glad the wine group enjoyed them.

Deeba – am LOVING being a part of Mactweets :-) And glad to know the macaron mistress has batches with no feet too!

Mr P and Lorraine – thanks!

Penny and Tokyo Terrace – you should join Mactweets too!

Tangled Noodle – err.. you must not have seen my previous posts with the dismal failures I turned out!

Jamie – thanks for having me!

Trix – :-)

Cocina – it's still very much a work in progress!

Jen – would love to share wine and macs with you sometime!

high low, lululu, Sandra – thanks so much!

Jennifer – glad you enjoyed them!

Kablooey – you know me well enough to know that I won't rest until I am sure I can make them perfectly all the time!

Fuji Mama – thanks!

Duo – I still thin it's beginner's luck!

FLB – I AM a Taurus, you know!

Travel Eat Love – Thanks!

Gourmantic – I AM Australian you know!

Mum – thanks! I didn't make them crack on purpose – honest!

Mae – Oh I am surprised that noone else made macs!!!

5 Star and faithy – thanks :-)

Brian – You would LOVE them!

Nina – you just have to work past the fear and bad luck and have a glass of wine and relax ;-)

Diana – we would love to have you in Mactweets!

Kitchen Butterfly – I was so shocked to see them!

Tami – hmmm…. Mars Bar cheesecake? Maybe I could make that into a mac?

Silver Moon Dragon – I have never had much luck with Pavlovas either – maybe I should try them again?

34. Jakes January 29, 2010 at 07:34 #

Two years ago I moved to Australia and liked it so much I became a permanent resident! I made a list of things to do in and around Perth. Please visit:

35. ParisBreakfasts January 30, 2010 at 11:25 #

B R A V O ! ! ! !
    It look like I will have to try to make these little suckers too….

36. Conor @ HoldtheBeef February 1, 2010 at 14:19 #

Right. Just got back from Melbourne today and madly trying to catch up on blog reading. It seems a terrifyingly insurmountable task. However, if there are such delights as these to ogle over, I think it will be a deliciously terrifying task. Just as well I have a huge pile of fresh Melbourne baklava to sustain me through it. Wish I has a huge pile of macingtons though. Sigh.

37. Mamatkamal February 1, 2010 at 16:40 #

Happy Australia Day! Chocolate macarons are my favourite. Great job.
    Cheers,

38. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite February 2, 2010 at 22:00 #

Paris Breakfasts – oh you should definitely try!

Conor – yes catching up on blog reading even after a few days can be a terrifying prospect, much improved with the addition of some tasty treats to tide you over. Baklava from Melbourne? I am jealous!!

mamatkamal – thanks!