Lunch at Nomiya (ArtHome Paris)

(a guest post written by my intrepid travelling companions this Christmas – Alicia and Neil)

T’was the day before Christmas and all through the City, not a creature was stirring… (well except for the mad hordes of shoppers at Les Halles, and a dozen lucky diners).

Ah Paris – good food, great wine, romantic settings and très chic restaurants. Thanks to the intrepid determination of Mardi getting up for four days in a row at 4 am in November to secure bookings, Neil and Alicia were treated to a (well-deserved) wonderful meal on the rooftop of the Palais de Tokyo in the ArtHome restaurant installation, Nomiya.

While we enjoyed a spectacular view of the Eiffel Tower and attentive service from our oh-so-French waiter, Mardi was slogging away in the Electrolux kitchen downstairs. That sort of set the stage for our emotionally beatific lunch. :-)

Upon arrival on the rooftop courtyard of the Palais de Tokyo, we were greeted by a cheery culinary Christmas tree (complete with vegetable ornaments – of course!) and then braved a walk on the dodgy (wet) catwalk to the glass & steel cube in the sky.

Neil and I of course rushed past the stylish Parisian retirees and grabbed the prime seats nearest to the window with the unimpeded view of the Seine and the Eiffel Tower (pushy North Americans). (Editor’s Note: This is cause for celebration, in that Alicia can now “rush” again…with new hip. So she truly was a “hipster”.)

(check out that giant iPod!)

Our first glimpse of our “restaurant” had in fact been a couple of days prior, from a bateau-mouche boat ride on the Seine…

(see the little glass cube on the building?)

The view from the inside was even more spectacular, a misty atmospheric December day overlooking the city. And of course, we were greeted with bottomless flutes of Moët et Chandon.

With just twelve guests at a sitting, we felt quite exclusive and part of the Parisian stylish set, especially with the cosmopolitan well-coiffed and multi-lingual other guests at the table. (For one of whom this was his THIRD visit – and he was coming again in a couple days for dinner.)

After we were all settled at the communal table (the two of us right at the river’s edge) and had admired the view, our cuisine experience began with a delightful amuse-bouche of diced green apple and pear with pieces of brunoisde horseradish and topped with green flying fish roe. Wonderful sharp/sweet/salt combination married beautifully.

As a quasi (backsliding) vegetarian who has veered into more carnivorous territory in recent months (Note from Neil: Not much choice traveling with me), Alicia was game for a few meat-eating adventures but was appreciative of the enquiry by our server of any food restrictions. “No seafood and no pork please” – thinking that would cover off the danger zones. However, in France, apparently it is assumed that someone who doesn’t eat seafood will eat roe. Mais bien sûr!

First course: For everyone but Alicia, the first course was Langoustine (small form of lobster) whipped soup with very large roe. The soup was incredibly salty like the sea. Neil’s observation is that he felt like he was drinking the ocean.

Roe was the topping du jour at ArtHome, as Alicia discovered with her “seafood free” first course which was, wait for it, the same large roe conserved and molded with beeswax into a lovely leaf served with diced pear.

For the second course we started with Fanny Sabre Savigny-les-Beaune, Côte-d’Or (Burgundy). With Neil’s sommelier courses under his belt, he was expertly able to assess the wine as a combination of “notes of grass, light fresh herbs and apples with a slight mineral aspect.”

A lovely white elongated plate arrived at everyone’s place (but Alicia’s) with a charming presentation of alternating seared scallops and artichoke hearts shaped into rounds on slices of white beetroot, covered with shaved fresh horseradish and topped with a spinach coulis and tiny beetroot cubes. The verdict on this course was scrumptious. However, if I were being picky (which I generally am not!), while perfectly cooked the scallops could have been dried a bit more prior to searing to produce a slight crusty edge.

Alicia’s seafood free alternative looked the same but instead of scallops, was all elegant artichoke heart rounds, topped with – wait for it! – more roe!

At this point we were provided with artisanal sourdough bread and a choice of sparkling (petillante) or still water from Gleneagles in Scotland.

And of course, the wine kept flowing and for our main, we moved on to Chateaux Barbanau Roquefort la Bedoule, Côte-de-Provence, which is a Granache/Syrah/Gamay blend. The aroma of horse saddle, white pepper and cooked blackberries, with a touch of eucylyptus was the pronouncement by Neil, and it was “slightly chewy with medium tannins and mid-length finish.” (Yum!)

This accompanied our main course of the following: Grilled endive with caramelized sugar, roasted potatoes and apples. Tournedos de bouef with a beef gingerbread reduction sauce and the pièce de resistance and the seasonal specialty for Christmas/ New Year – a big honking piece of pan fried foie-gras on a piece of toasted gingerbread

Neil who had been faithfully executing our homework assignment from Mardi to take lots of notes and lots of photos, at this point wrote in his little book “Tired of writing, prefer eating.”

And Alicia gazed with horror at the enormous piece of goose liver staring back at her from the plate. Quelle horreur! She steeled herself for the task at hand by looking out at the Hôtel des Invalides for inspiration. Since foie gras is not typically on the Toronto meat-eating menu, it had not occurred to her to specify that she usually does not experiment with this delicacy in her minimal forays into meat eating. Although Neil happily gobbled up his portion, he declined to help her out by eating her portion as well.

The pan seared foie gras was light and not as cloying as it is wont to be, and the beef was very tender and delicious. The dish had extra flair with the delicious addition of the gingerbread toast and the very yummy gingerbread sauce that went perfectly with the beef, the foie gras and the veggies and apple.

We awaited dessert with anticipation, but Neil was a bit disgruntled at the lack of dessert wine. He got over it as our glasses of red continued to be generously filled by our ever-attentive server.

Dessert was a baked passionfruit mousse with seeds (which suspiciously looked like more roe to Alicia). The mousse was served with honey, mango coulis and a lovely swirled two-toned cocoa-saffron shortbread which was baked by Mardi and her fellow cooking class compatriots downstairs in the Electrolux kitchen! (Mardi’s note – well not these particular ones but I DO know how to make them now!)

Dessert was almost too pretty to eat, and it was a light and not too sweet way to end a delightful meal.

Although our reservation said 12 noon (on the dot, don’t be late!) to 2 pm, we were left to leisurely enjoy dessert, coffee, and the view until we decided to reluctantly make our way downstairs to where Mardi and the rest of the mortal world awaited us.

A note from all three of us – if you are in Paris and have the opportunity to either eat at Nomiya or attend an ArtHome cooking workshop, do it. It’s more than worth the stress of trying to reserve…

21 Responses to Lunch at Nomiya (ArtHome Paris)

1. Deeba PAB January 11, 2010 at 10:52 #

What a great post, roe & all. Poor Alice. I share her horror. I am a backsliding vegetarian of sorts too, and not adventurous at all! Loved reading through your lines…FUN!!

2. Simply Life January 11, 2010 at 13:09 #

I LOVE all your photos and just wish I could be there to take them! :)

3. Neil C. Phillips January 11, 2010 at 13:38 #

Apologies re the shifting point-of-view on this post…reading it this morn I cringed a bit, grammatically. Alicia and I were passing the laptop back and forth, so as not to interrupt with our wine consumption.

Maybe Lloyd Cole in the background was lulling us a tad too much…

4. Alicia January 11, 2010 at 19:54 #

Neil – I agree. So confused but hey, Mardi's dear readers will enjoy the spirit of our post and excuse our tipsy grammer! So fun to see our names in lights (while not exactly) on Mardi's wonderful blog!

5. penny aka jeroxie January 11, 2010 at 22:05 #

Beautiful food and view! It seems like the perfect eve lunch to me

6. Natalie Colosimo January 11, 2010 at 22:59 #

What a beautiful Blog! So artistic and beautiful. The food looked amazing. The wines were interesting and well, it was Paris!!!!!!!!Love your work….

7. K a b l o o e y January 12, 2010 at 01:07 #

Weird that roe wasn't counted as seafood; I feel bad for Alicia. Neil, don't give a second thought to grammar. You guys did a great job and preserved the spirit of Mardi's blog. Also, I would like to eat with you folks so I could "politely" finish everyone's foie gras portions. (I know, I know; talk about feeling bad. poor things)

8. Carolyn Jung January 12, 2010 at 02:03 #

What an incredible experience. I bet you will remember that meal for a long, long time. Even the water bottle was gorgeous, for goodness sake. ;)

9. lk (Healthy Delicious) January 12, 2010 at 02:13 #

omg that foie course sounds heavenly! I love it when its seared. this place looks amazing!

10. Conor @ HoldtheBeef January 12, 2010 at 05:08 #

How strange about the lack of a dessert wine, though I can't say I feel TOO much sympathy for you after seeing all the other wines, and the food that you were served. Neil, I am most impressed by your descriptions of the wine, and I think I am going to have to use the phrase "aroma of horse saddle" next time I am enjoying a glass.

11. Sandra Austoni January 12, 2010 at 16:20 #

Lucky You Mardi!! I tried to book a table with their online system but they had no availability (Next time, I'll plan more ahead…). I'm so glad you had the chance to go there and enjoy the view. The food looks delicious!

12. yvonne January 13, 2010 at 00:38 #

This is what I missed…REALLY?!

13. Alicia January 13, 2010 at 02:14 #

It was pretty great Yvonne! Next time. Cleo needed you back in TO. :-)

14. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite January 13, 2010 at 02:19 #

Deeba – LOVE the term "backsliding vegetarian!" I know so many of them!

Simply Life – thanks – Neil and Alicia did a great job!

Neil – well considering it's weeks after the lunch, I am happy you remembered this much!

Alicia – I love the spirit of this post!

penny – absolutely!

natalie – thanks for your kind words!

Kablooey – so…. the spirit of my blog is "tipsy grammar" ;-) Alicia definitely would have shared her foie gras with you…

Carolyn – I know!! There was nothing ugly or bad about their whole experience!

LK – thanks!

Conor – you do that will you and report back on how that works out for you?!?!

Sandra – it really was the stars aligning that meant there were spaces for the lunch on the same day I did the workshop. It's definitely difficult to get into but I was determined!!! I think they're moving on to Brasil later this year…

Yvonne – yes. you missed a once in a lifetime meal :-P But Cleo was happy to have Auntie Yvonne taking care of her!

15. Conor @ HoldtheBeef January 13, 2010 at 02:23 #

So, I used the old "horse saddle" line last night when out with friends, and got a screwed up nose and look of disgust for my troubles. Last time I listen to you, Mr Neil!

16. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite January 13, 2010 at 02:24 #

Conor – you should just go with what Lionel at Ô Chateau (post from early on in our trip which also involved a lot of CHEESE) told Alicia and I to say about wine to bluff our way "It's very complex."

17. Conor @ HoldtheBeef January 13, 2010 at 02:27 #

Cheese! :D

Thanks Mardi, I like that much more than leathery bum stench.

18. Neil C. Phillips January 13, 2010 at 13:41 #

I did NOT say "leathery bum", thank you. If that's what you said — no wonder the noses were turned up. (I'm trying to picture how you ride a horse, if that's where you put the saddle…) And it's the leather – not the horse. :-)

But, umm, if you tried using the line on a fresh Oz Viognier…well no wonder you got those looks. ;-)

I'll try better next time for you – though must admit am slightly off the Oz "alcohol bombs" at present (reds). Waiting for the tide to turn from ridiculous-ness.

19. Conor @ HoldtheBeef January 15, 2010 at 01:37 #

Neil, I was thinking more about the bums of the riders than of the horse, though I would hope that the leather smell would win out over the potential bum smell.

Speaking of alcohol bombs… I ordered a glass of white the other night topped up with sparkling water, and it tasted much stronger than I was expecting but I didn't query it. When we went to pay, we discovered they had topped it up with sparkling WINE. Luckily neither had a leathery bum vibe :D

20. Gourmantic February 18, 2010 at 21:20 #

Can I say… totally envious? :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite February 20, 2010 at 09:58 #

Well and did you see how I got to be the one in the kitchen whilst Neil partied with the hoi polloi in the glass cube???