How to de-seed a POMegranate – not scary at all!

So yesterday’s post, my entry in the 2009 POM Fresh Recipe contest, required me to seed a pomegranate. O-kay…..

I went to the POM website and found their instructions. The POM people (and they should know!) say:

Pomegranates may seem intimidating, but they are easy to open. This efficient procedure for opening a pomegranate has six simple steps:

• Cut – With a sharp paring knife, cut off the top about a half inch below the crown.

• Score – Once the top has been removed, four to six sections of the pomegranate divided by white membrane will be visible. With the knife’s point, score the skin along each section. • Open – Using both hands, carefully pull the pomegranate apart, breaking it into smaller sections.

• Loosen – Over a bowl of water, loosen the arils and allow them to drop freely into the bowl. The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top.

• Scoop – Use a spoon to scoop out the pieces of white membrane that have floated to the top of the water. • Strain – Pour the arils and remaining liquid through a strainer.

Later, I Googled around and came up with some more advice from Elise at Simply Recipes.

She suggests slicing through the crown like this (photo courtesy of Simply Recipes):

But the rest of her method is similar. You can read what she says here.

In any case, it was definitely not as hard as I thought and you should certainly not be intimidated by it. You will be rewarded with juicy, crunchy little pearls of sweetness.

Don’t forget to head on over to the POM website and vote for my Red Roast Pork with POMegranate glaze. Click here. Thanks so much in advance!

Pomegranate on Foodista

12 Responses to How to de-seed a POMegranate – not scary at all!

1. The Duo Dishes December 1, 2009 at 22:15 #

Voted. :) G'luck!

2. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite December 1, 2009 at 22:24 #

Duo – awwww – you guys are too sweet! I was expecting a Duo creation in there somewhere….

3. VeggieGirl December 1, 2009 at 22:26 #

Thanks for the tutorial! MAYBE I'll work up the courage to tackle a pomegranate soon ;)

4. Simply Life December 1, 2009 at 22:37 #

I have yet to do this but your post definitely helps me gain some confidence! Thanks!

5. greg December 1, 2009 at 23:28 #

Have you tried throwing the pom against the wall and seeing what sticks? GREG SippitySup

6. K a b l o o e y December 2, 2009 at 00:50 #

Before I learned about the water trick, the place used to look like the prom scene from Carrie after I was done with a pomegranate. Now it just looks a little messy. Still can't keep the bathroom clean if I dye my hair, though, so I'm not a good gauge. I never knew to cut off the top so you could tell where to cut, however. I'm going to try that. But what about avoiding pomegranates with those icky spots of bad "arils"? (Did NOT know this word, so thanks, Mardi.)

7. Chow and Chatter December 2, 2009 at 02:48 #

very helpful post

8. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction December 2, 2009 at 03:00 #

Great post! I recently tried a fresh pomegranate for the very first time, and I agree that it wasn't as hard as I had thought it would be. Now I'm hooked!

9. Carolyn Jung December 2, 2009 at 07:06 #

The bowl of water method is definitely the best way to loosen the seeds easily and without any mess. Beats squirting it all over a cutting board or your best white apron.

10. Patty December 2, 2009 at 20:02 #

What a super helpful tip! I take to beating the heck out of my pomegranete with a wooden spoon, but this method looks way more efficient and less violent!

11. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite December 2, 2009 at 20:33 #

Veggie Girl – it's so easy!

Simply Life – it will be fine.

greg – LOL!

Kablooey – have you tried using pomegranates to dye your hair? ;-)

Chow – thanks!

Jen – I can see how you would be hooked.

Carolyn – Absolutely

Patty – Waaaay less violent ;-)

12. Neil C. Phillips December 10, 2009 at 13:21 #

Does anyone else have smiling childhood memories of eating pomegranates….? :-)