Curried coconut pumpkin-carrot soup

Ok so you can probably tell I am in the mood for comfort food. The weather has turned all of a sudden and it’s COLD (this Australian blood will never get used to Toronto winters). First yesterday’s chili and now today – a soup.

A bit of a weird soup. This is what I had to work with:

Let’s just look at those carrots again up close, shall we? ;-)

I also had this sample of coconut oil to work with, sent to me by the kind folks at Tropical Traditions. I have never cooked with coconut oil before but I was thinking about a coconut-curry soup with those ingredients and wondered what it would be like to sauté the veggies in the coconut oil.

It was a bit solidified, so I dug around…

I fried up one whole big onion, roughly chopped and tossed in a few cloves of garlic for good measure.

I added about 2 tablespoons of this wonderful Penzey’s curry powder:

Then the carrots – roughly chopped. This was 6 medium-sized carrots.

Then the canned pumpkin (this was about a half a large can):

About 500mls of vegetable stock:

And a can of coconut milk:

I let it simmer at a low heat for about 30 minutes:

Some freshly ground black pepper and a whiz in the food processor later…

And it’s all packaged up ready for lunch or a quick dinner later in the week. It’s perfect – a little bit spicy and a little bit sweet and deliciously creamy.

17 Responses to Curried coconut pumpkin-carrot soup

1. hollafoodzone.com December 9, 2009 at 08:38 #

whoa! All of my FAVORITE flavors in a pot! Love savory sweet! I am hooked on Penzy's spices – anything else is just not as good! Did you find it needed any salt?

2. janet December 9, 2009 at 08:49 #

That looks amazing, and we were thinking along the same lines, I am making a very similar soup today. Yum!!

3. Tasty Trix December 9, 2009 at 10:40 #

That soup looks great – I am sure Divina could tell us all about how it's good for us! And those are franken-carrots.

4. Laura in Paris December 9, 2009 at 11:02 #

I love all these ingredients and think it is a great combination!

5. Conor @ HoldtheBeef December 9, 2009 at 11:08 #

Carrot fiend status confirmed.I'm intrigued by the coconut oil! I just had a skim through the website and think I will investigate further. Sounds like it could be a goer.

6. Maria at Fresh Eats December 9, 2009 at 12:57 #

Soups like this are a great reason to welcome winter with open arms! Lovely.

7. Brad December 9, 2009 at 16:30 #

Yumm, thanks for the great recipe. I've never used coconut oil, how would you describe the taste? Is it like raw coconut?

8. The Best Family December 9, 2009 at 18:33 #

this sounds delicious! we're in the midst of a blizzard warning and i too crave warm comfort foods like soup and stew- perfect for a blustery night!

9. Simply Life December 9, 2009 at 18:42 #

Oh yum this soup looks so fresh and flavorful!

10. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite December 9, 2009 at 20:55 #

hollafoodzone – I tend to go light on salt but really this one did not. I guess there was enough in the stock?janet – indeed!Tasy Trix – LOL frankencarrots!!Laura – it is delicious!Conor – yup, can't help it, I am a freaky veg fiend!Maria – it's perfect for today with a big slushy storm outside!Brad – it's very strong coconuty flavour – more like intense raw coconut.Best Family – you guys would love this.Simply Life – and I love that it's not too heavy and creamy.

11. high low December 10, 2009 at 00:55 #

mmm…love coconut (wish my husband did too!) – Mardi your soup sounds so warm and comforting!

12. Neil C. Phillips December 10, 2009 at 10:36 #

Too funny – am reading about something cooked in my house I have not seen/tasted. Maybe it's in my lunch today!I am very intrigued by the coconut oil for cooking. The jar looked a tad dubious – but in the wok I think it's a fab idea. Never seen this before. Will need to try a stir-fry with it in January

13. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite December 10, 2009 at 13:04 #

Neil – we're having this tomorrow night at your "study session"!

14. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite December 10, 2009 at 21:03 #

High Low – actually it's not that coconuty (especially if you don't add the coconut mils and thicken it with sour cream or something). It's just a little on the sweet side. You should try it!

15. Unplanned Cooking December 10, 2009 at 21:28 #

Love it! And this weather has turned me into a soup-eating homebody, too.

16. Neil C. Phillips December 14, 2009 at 09:49 #

Okay so I just had this last night – if anyone's catching up on old posts – and it was delicious. A thicker, darker pumpkin soup than usual. And yes, the coconut is very subtle.

17. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite December 14, 2009 at 09:52 #

Unplanned – t'is the weather to eat soup, huh?Neil – I am glad you liked it because you have it for lunch today! People – he DIDN'T EVEN ADD HOT SAUCE!!!