Christmas Day in Paris

Christmas Day dawned bright and sunny (enfin!!!) and we started out the morning lingering over coffee in the flat, with a couple of phone calls to home… Neil presented me with this lovely original painting:

My two great loves – Cleo and macarons!!! This was painted by Carole at Paris Breakfasts – ironically, the person who wrote a blog post that led me to booking the macaron classes at Elysée Lenôtre!! It’s perfect!

Around noon, we headed out to meet Alicia for a big walk, taking in, amongst other sights, Notre Dame:

We headed back to our flat around 3pm to tackle the prospect of Christmas dinner in a kitchen the size of a postage stamp. We did, however, have two essentials to any Christmas dinner – bubbles and poultry:

And Santa:

There really wasn’t much room so we had to take it in turns…

But managed a very festive looking salad:

The potatoes were “roasted” (fried) to perfection!

And the chicken even reheated wonderfully in it’s special microwaveable bag!

Neil was able to carve it even with poor utensils:

Couldn’t ask for more festive than that, right?

Since Cleo wasn’t around (sniff!) we were able to leave dishes around in places we wouldn’t have been able to. Seriously no counter space here!

Of course we enjoyed some good wine:

T’was a perfect meal! We ended off with some more macarons (yes, we’re still working our way through them!) and then headed out to catch an early evening showing of An American in Paris. What a great Christmas – noone argued, noone got drunk and said inappropriate things and we didn’t even feel that full. What more could you ask for?

Merry Christmas – I hope yours was as perfect as ours!

19 Responses to Christmas Day in Paris

1. Simply Life December 26, 2009 at 11:49 #

Wow! what an amazing and memorable way to spend the holidays!

2. jen laceda December 26, 2009 at 15:28 #

Looks very festive to me! Is this flat your own or can it be rented to tourists like us? I'd love to book this flat for our next Paris vacation!!

3. Jhonny walker December 26, 2009 at 18:31 #

you are one lucky gal. The post, the pictures and the experience…is heavenly! BTW I love the potatoes :)

4. Debbie December 26, 2009 at 19:51 #

Love your posts about Paris – enjoy your visit to Dinan, with its medieval architecture. Have a glass of calvados for me. Joyeux Noël et bonne année!

5. Natashya KitchenPuppies December 26, 2009 at 21:53 #

Looks lovely to me!
    I am in awe of all your experiences on this trip!

6. Natalie December 26, 2009 at 22:27 #

What a memorable Christmas! I have never been to Paris, I am living through your pictures ;)

7. Martha December 27, 2009 at 03:44 #

What a perfect painting. Well done, Neil!

8. The Best Family December 27, 2009 at 05:09 #

what a lovely Christmas day in paris! and what a pretty painting! so glad you had such a nice day.

9. Unplanned Cooking December 27, 2009 at 15:07 #

What a lovely way to spend Christmas! Thanks for sharing.

10. Travel Eat Love December 28, 2009 at 00:49 #

Looks so lovely! I am glad you had a great Christmas!

11. Fresh Local and Best December 28, 2009 at 01:49 #

Merry Christmas!

12. Megan Gordon December 28, 2009 at 01:55 #

LOVE the painting and what a sweet, thoughtful gift. Looks like you both pulled together quite a nice dinner as well. Happy holidays, Mardi!

13. Conor @ HoldtheBeef December 28, 2009 at 14:08 #

Hang on, you didn't even feel that full? Bah!

Merry merry merry Christmas, looks like some skilful tiny-kitchen manipulation :)

14. ParisBreakfasts January 2, 2010 at 19:39 #

More drooling and thanks for the mention Mardi
    Carolg

15. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite January 5, 2010 at 10:48 #

Simply Life – thanks, it was!

Jen – I WISH we owned a flat in Paris… I have a couple of places we stay at if you are interested… Some are more kid friendly than others…

Jhonny – yep the potatoes were a bit hit!

Debbie – thanks! We LOVED Dinan!

Nataysha and Natalie – thanks. I am glad you can live a bit vicariously though the posts!

Martha and Best Family – yes he did well with the painting!

Unplanned, Travel Eat Love, Fresh Local – thanks for following along!

Megan – it's amazing what you can do in the kitchen with so little!

Conor – well we didn't feel full THAT day but there were plenty of other days when we did to make up for it!!!

Paris Breakfasts – thank YOU for the gorgeous painting!!!

16. Neil C. Phillips January 5, 2010 at 14:12 #

Mardi's right: we DIDN'T feel that full. Hence our picking up the pace on days following. Can I just say my wine pics were gorgeous? (And my staged photo of corks.) :-)

Funny re Carol's painting: I had no idea that her blog is the one that got Mardi to that macaron cooking school. The internet is a funny thing…

(Thanks again Carol, btw!)

17. Lori Lynn January 8, 2010 at 02:39 #

Hi Mardi – I tried to comment earlier but it froze so I am coming back now to say how adorable your Carol watercolor is! Congrats! I love her work!

Congrats on Top 9 today too!
    LL

18. Cathy January 12, 2010 at 14:48 #

I enjoyed your post. I, too, spent this Christmas in Paris. Love your painting. Your Cleo looks a lot like my Sammy. Your Christmas repast also resembles the one I threw together in my rented apartment. What a lovely day and lovely memories. http://joyeuxnoelyall.blogspot.com/

19. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite January 19, 2010 at 22:46 #

Lori – thanks for your comment! Carol's stuff is great!!

Cathy – I love Paris at Christmas too! Glad you had a great time.