Well if Anthony Bourdain recommends it…

On arriving in San Francisco for the Foodbuzz Festival last Friday, I had a plan:

1. Replace USB cable for camera (duh – DUMB blogger, forgetting that at home!) and
2. meet Andrea from HighLow FoodDrink for lunch.

After a wild ride in the San Fran rain with a crazy taxi driver (and some $30 later), I finally caught up with Andrea at the R&G Lounge in Chinatown. She had emailed me from the plane that Anthony Bourdain recommended the place, especially the salt and pepper crab so that’s what we were after!! Whilst I was on my crazy ride, Andrea had managed to snag us a table and I was swiftly seated, only to order “what she’s having” which turned out to be this:

A lychee martini :-) Sooooo good and soooo needed, especially as at that point I had been up for 12 hours… Andrea ordered the crab – I had no idea what this dish really was or how big it is but hey, if Bourdain recommends it…. The waiter thought it would be “enough” for the two of us.

No photo will actually do it justice but he was a huge guy with what seemed like an infinite number of legs. Turns out neither one of us really knew what to do with the crab legs but here’s Andrea looking cool, calm and collected, determined to get the most out of that dish:

This was amazing – so tasty and so much fun (if messy) to eat. Thanks Andrea for sussing this place out – I never would have found it – just an unassuming storefront amongst hundreds of others in Chinatown. An address to remember, for sure!

R and G Lounge
631 Kearny St
San Francisco
, CA,
United States

(415) 982-7877

R & G Lounge on Urbanspoon

14 Responses to Well if Anthony Bourdain recommends it…

1. Conor @ HoldtheBeef November 14, 2009 at 11:26 #

A lychee martini would go down so so well right now. I can imagine how nice it must have been after a hairbrained crazy taxi ride!

2. Simply Life November 14, 2009 at 13:51 #

I love meals that are tasty and fun to eat! :)

3. Lori Lynn November 14, 2009 at 15:13 #

Sounds like fun. Love lychee martinis!
    LL

4. Natalie November 14, 2009 at 16:34 #

I'm glad you liked it!! That is where Kyle hung out while we were at the dinner Saturday night, he had the lychee martini also!! Wish I would have checked out the place for that monster crab!

5. Fresh Local and Best November 14, 2009 at 18:09 #

Oh my! I've forgotten about this place! I used to stop by there every now and then after work, they have great entrees across the board. But I've never had the crab! It's looks incredible!

6. traveleatlove November 14, 2009 at 18:17 #

Nom nom nom that crab looks soooooo good!

7. The Best Family November 14, 2009 at 20:10 #

i love lychee martinis! definitely putting that on the menu next time you and mr. neil come to visit. :) and that crab looks very intimidating – i wouldn't have known what to do with it either, but i'll be it was tasty. :)

8. Mary-Laure November 15, 2009 at 05:51 #

Lychee martini? What a cool idea. Looks very pretty, too.

9. Laura in Paris November 15, 2009 at 08:49 #

I guess I am having a crab for lunch. Gotta go to the market to get them.

10. Pierre November 15, 2009 at 09:20 #

thanks for the sharing and why not some mango ? come and visit me and see the way I fix it !cheers Pierre

11. and this blog November 16, 2009 at 04:46 #

aww that lychee martini looks sooo good! i wish i met u girls sooner! would i needed one too =)

12. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite November 16, 2009 at 13:01 #

Conor – oh it was MUCH needed!

Simply Life – it was pretty fun yes!

Lori Lynn – Mmmm!

natalie – Kyle had the right idea!

Fresh Local – it was!!

traveleatlove – :-)

Best Family – oh yes please!

Mary-Laure – yummy and pretty!

Laura – bon appétit!

Pierre – thanks!

and this blog – :-)

13. gastroanthropologist November 16, 2009 at 23:03 #

R and G – darling you make me homesick. Before I was a foodie, I worked in advertising for a small firm targeting the asian market. And I worked with mostly Chinese and they showed me all the best spots in SF, and I distinctly remember the first time I ate at R and G.

Next time you are in SF head to PPQ for s+p crab and garlic noodles! Its right up there with R and G!

14. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite November 19, 2009 at 00:01 #

gastroanthrolologist – will do – we're in SFO next summer!