Supermarket excitement!

Did you know??? ELTW is a finalist in the “Best New Blog” category at the Foodbuzz Food Blogger Awards. Click here to vote for me!)

As you will know by now if you read my blog with any regularity, I love (supermarket) shopping. So it will be no surprise to you that whilst in Buffalo on the weekend, one of our pit stops was Wegman‘s.

What I got most excited about was the BEER! Love that you can buy beer in the regular supermarket, unlike antiquated Ontario with its “liquor” and “beer” stores. Yup, that’s right, the place you buy the beer in Ontario is called, creatively “The Beer Store“. You buy everything else at the Liquor Control Board of Ontario stores or the LCBO as it is known – which for a while when I moved to Canada I thought was a place called the “Elsiebeeo”. Anyway, I digress…

I spent a few minutes in raptures over the very funky beers available in the supermarket. Like these:

So what did we buy, beer-wise? Well, knowing we were headed into wine country, we just bought one six-pack of something very seasonal:

(which I enjoyed as I prepared our non-turkey Thanksgiving dinner on Monday night)

And what else, you ask?

Err, yes, I have a thing for nut butters but here in Canada you can’t get all those ones with the chocolate. I also have a thing for cereal (bars) involving chocolate. See, it doesn’t take much to please me…

All in all, a thoroughly fun 45 minutes wandering the aisles. I seriously think there is a futire in those oft-thought about “supermarket tours” of different countries. I mean, I’d sign up, wouldn’t you???

23 Responses to Supermarket excitement!

1. Miranda October 14, 2009 at 11:53 #

I could spend hours in a really good natural food store.
    I go to a great meat market and I take an hour in there!!! It is so cool…I love food. LOL.

2. itsawrapteacher October 14, 2009 at 12:09 #

Congrats on the nomination and best of luck! I'm liking all the dark chocolate love!

3. Vegetable Matter October 14, 2009 at 14:12 #

If you're ever in Houston, you need to visit Central Market. It's foodie heaven for someone that loves grocery stores.

4. High/Low October 14, 2009 at 14:46 #

My husband LOVES Wegmans! (I have yet to visit one!) He's also the beer guy and can tell you all about the beers you've showed – as you can tell from our beer list, he's tried quite a few: http://highlowfooddrink.blogspot.com/2009/01/beer.html )

5. sweet26 October 14, 2009 at 14:52 #

mmmm…pumpkin ale!! they don't sell beer and liquor in supermarkets here in Massachusetts either!

6. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 14, 2009 at 16:08 #

Miranda – totally agree!

itsawrap – thanks and me too!

Vegetable matter – duly noted!

High/Low – I think Mr High/Low would get on famously with Neil!

Sweet 26 – Oh right, I forgot that it's not all states.

7. Unplanned Cooking October 14, 2009 at 17:34 #

I love Wegmans! We had one in my hometown, and spent many evenings there (how's that for excitement:)?.

8. whineaux October 14, 2009 at 17:51 #

I think we may be long lost sisters. I always hit the grocery store when traveling — it's my souvenir shop!

9. 5 Star Foodie October 14, 2009 at 18:29 #

You know me, I worship Wegmans and it is the only store I shop in, lucky for me it's less than 5 minutes from my house (was definitely one of the factors choosing our current location!)

10. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 14, 2009 at 18:50 #

Unplanned – sounds like my idea of a fun evening! When I was home in Australia this summer, I spent much time in supermarkets for fun!

Whineaux – We are so on the same page!!!!

5 Star – that's too funny! Picking your house based on proximity to Wegman's!

11. My Man's Belly October 14, 2009 at 19:40 #

I feel ya. When traveling to different countries I always find the grocery store(s). We just came back from Madrid and Dusseldorf and my suitcase was full of yummy stuff.

12. Chow and Chatter October 14, 2009 at 20:00 #

thats a nice store right there!

13. penny aka jeroxie October 14, 2009 at 20:16 #

EVery supermarket in every country is a joy to visit! I am liking the dark chocolate as well. HOw does pumpkin ale taste like?

14. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 14, 2009 at 21:08 #

My Man's Belly – Madrid and Dussledorf – I can just imagine how much fun that was!!!

Chow – thanks!

Penny – Dark chocolate – mmmmm! Pumpkin ale was nice – not too yeasty and pretty smooth…

15. Neil C. Phillips October 14, 2009 at 21:30 #

America is commonly known worldwide as having about the worst beer on the planet.

Alas, this is because everyone thinks of the dreaded Busch family and thier ilk.

Mr High/Low, you do a great job of highlighting the wonders of all those glorious microbrews. See, there IS good beer to be found in the USA!

16. Simply Life October 14, 2009 at 21:52 #

I love wandering through new grocery stores – so fun!

17. Fresh Local and Best October 14, 2009 at 22:19 #

Mardi, darling, you must be my soul mate! I love super markets, as much as farmers markets. It must be a female shopping gene that chose interest in food over shoes and purses. LOL!

18. traveleatlove October 14, 2009 at 23:08 #

You know I would sign up! You could drop me off at Wegman's for a few hours, and I would carefully wander down each aisle, and have a whole lot of fun while doing it!

19. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 15, 2009 at 01:08 #

Neil – ah but they have great microbrews!

Simply Life – absolutely!

Fresh Local – LOL indeed – I seem to have found a bunch of soul mates here!

traveleatlove – that's my game plan when I hit a new supermarket!

20. Lacey October 15, 2009 at 21:54 #

I, too, LOVE wandering through grocery stores and farmers markets. I putz about and it drives my husband crazy! I feel like I could get lost for hours.

21. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 15, 2009 at 21:56 #

Lacey – I am lucky in that Neil also loves to shop and is pretty good at it too! I could tell from the beginning when we first met and he accompanied me on a hunt through a souk (we were in Morocco) to find a djellaba in my size…

22. crankycheryl October 19, 2009 at 01:13 #

What a great post! We too may be supermarket soulmates. As far as nut butters, I can't allow myself to buy the Dark Chocolate Dreams, because it's one of just a few foods that I find can't stop eating once I start. And if you find yourself visiting Vermont, you'll have to let us show you our excellent markets, esp. our wonderful funky downtown food co-op.

23. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 19, 2009 at 01:17 #

Cheryl – thanks for reading! Yes the dark chocolate nut butters are dangerously tempting.. If I am ever in Vermont, I will definitely look you up for a tour!!