Easy peasy ratatouille

(Ok, ok, back to our regular programming after yesterday’s excitement – ELTW is a finalist in the “Best New Blog” category at the Foodbuzz Food Blogger Awards. Click here to vote for me!)

I love ratatouille! When I was living in Paris, it was one of my favourite “go-to” dishes and I would often go here:

(My favourite produce store in the whole world! It has a vegetable side also!) on the rue Montorgueil to buy the vegetables and make a large amount of it on the weekend and eat it for the rest of the week – and I still didn’t get sick of it!!!

Now Neil is not a big fan since it’s a vegetarian dish, but that doesn’t mean that he won’t eat it. He’ll just say things like “Where’s the meat?” which I ignore… ;-)

Last week’s organic box included these local beauties:

And I happened to have these (also local) in our pantry:

And a little bit of this left over from our last trip to France:

I didn’t have much time to spend in the kitchen over the weekend but I roughly chopped everything:

and simmered gently for about 30 minutes:

Knowing I would be home late from university on Wednesday night and would be hungry but too hungry to start cooking at 8.30pm, this was a rare example of forward thinking on my part.

And boy was I glad of it last night when I came home and 10 minutes later, I was eating this:

Bon appétit!

And don’t worry – there will be some more Laos market posts tomorrow…. (the pretty ones, not the Fear Factor ones!)

18 Responses to Easy peasy ratatouille

1. Simply Life October 8, 2009 at 12:24 #

Another great looking meal! I was happy to vote for you again in the awards and am excited to see the results! :)

2. jen laceda October 8, 2009 at 13:20 #

Gorgeous meal! And healthy, too. But boys will always be boys. I'm very familiar with the "where's the meat?" phrase…But sometimes, hubby will play the, "We need full spectrum protein…" statement.

3. Divina Pe October 8, 2009 at 13:28 #

Oh wow, that's beautiful. I should find my own organic box here too. haha. Looking forward to more Laos posts. Thanks.

4. Conor @ HoldtheBeef October 8, 2009 at 14:59 #

I love how easy and delicious and healthy ratatouille is! Even better when filled with local produce :)

5. Myrtille October 8, 2009 at 15:06 #

I also love shopping for vegetables and much more rue Montorgueil…:-)

6. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 8, 2009 at 15:08 #

Simply Life – thanks x 2

Jen – "full spectrum protein"!!! LOL!

Conor – you betcha!

Myrtille – I can't wait to go shopping on the rue Montrogueil in a couple of months – Christmas in Paris – can't wait!

7. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 8, 2009 at 15:09 #

Divina – oh many more Laos posts to come!

8. high low October 8, 2009 at 15:22 #

We love ratatouille (both the food and the movie!) We made this one and used it both for an entree and as a side: http://highlowfooddrink.blogspot.com/2009/08/dinner-for-2-under-10-part-i.html

9. Amanda October 8, 2009 at 17:26 #

Oh you lived in Paris? I'm jealous!

Congrats on your award!!

10. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen October 8, 2009 at 19:20 #

This looks so good! I love ratatouille! So you say that the Tree of Life products are local to you? Does that mean you live in Saint Augustine? Two of my friends work there! :)

11. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 8, 2009 at 19:25 #

Amanda – yes, for nearly 6 years… Sigh.

Jenn – well, Tree of Life has distributors all over North America – and our can says product of Canada (and I have read somewhere that the actual tomatoes are Canadian as opposed to just being canned here)

12. penny aka jeroxie October 8, 2009 at 20:37 #

Congras! I have cast my vote :)

13. French Cooking for Dummies October 8, 2009 at 21:27 #

Congratulations on your nomination! You already have my vote :-)

14. Velva October 8, 2009 at 23:11 #

Congrats! Loved this post! Love ratatouille!

Good luck on the vote.

15. traveleatlove October 9, 2009 at 02:00 #

So yummy! I voted ;) Looking forward to the awards ceremony!

16. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 9, 2009 at 02:35 #

Penny, Velva, French Cooking, Traveleatlove – thanks all for reading and your support!

17. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 9, 2009 at 02:37 #

High/Low – that looks great!!! I still have not seen the film – might be time!!!

18. Neil C. Phillips October 13, 2009 at 17:44 #

"full spectrum protein" – love it.

Now in my defence, it's not that I abhor vegetables or anything. Love them. Just think life is richer with some meat and fine wines in it, that's all. :-)

But mmm – this was a nice veggie dish.