Well, we didn’t win…

but we sure had fun trying!

We’ll be doing it again next year (actually we’re curing more bacon and pancetta right now…)

Check out the winners of Michael Ruhlman’s BLT from Scratch winners here….

Photo by Jerad Dunnohew (the overall winner!)

14 Responses to Well, we didn’t win…

1. Natalie September 28, 2009 at 16:49 #

Looks like a winning sandwich to me! I can't imagine all the effort that went into making this sandwich, but I can imagine how great the reward tasted!!

2. eatlivetravelwrite September 28, 2009 at 17:20 #

Natalie – the one above is not ours but ours looked pretty good too!!!

3. Chow and Chatter September 28, 2009 at 17:36 #

don't give up girlie lol

4. eatlivetravelwrite September 28, 2009 at 18:10 #

Chow and Chatter – ha! We had no thoughts of winning anything but it was a lot of fun knowing that there were so many other people out there doing the same thing!

5. Fresh Local and Best September 28, 2009 at 19:51 #

You'll get it next time, and yes, having fun is a big part of the contest!

6. eatlivetravelwrite September 28, 2009 at 22:19 #

Fresh Local – I don't know about that – there were so many people… Still, we were not in it to win it…

7. K a b l o o e y September 28, 2009 at 23:41 #

The guy made his own salt? And started weeks before the contest was even declared? I call SHENANIGANS!

8. eatlivetravelwrite September 28, 2009 at 23:59 #

Kablooey -I know!!! We were JOKING about making out own salt!!!

9. Simply Life September 29, 2009 at 00:41 #

Even if you didn't win you definitely gave me (and lot more other people) lots of inspiration and new ideas!

Thanks for your kind words on my blog! I really appreciate it!

10. eatlivetravelwrite September 29, 2009 at 00:49 #

Simply Life – yup – it's all about the inspiration! And hope your ankle heals quickly!!!

11. Amanda September 29, 2009 at 02:11 #

I love your photos.

Just stumbled onto your blog via David Lebovitz, I like it…

12. NMOS September 29, 2009 at 03:42 #

I love BLTs, especially the bacon part. Have you ever tried "bacon jam"? A mobile Seattle restaurant called Skillet sells this awesome ingredient. It's basically rendered down and cooked bacon, which they turn into a spread and put it on burgers or whatever. It's one of the best burgers I've ever had. I'll be reviewing Skillet on my Om Nom Nom Nom blog soon (www.nmos-omnomnomnom.blogspot.com).

13. Kate at Serendipity September 29, 2009 at 07:34 #

ELTW, anyone who makes their own pancetta is a winner in my book!

14. eatlivetravelwrite September 29, 2009 at 10:31 #

Amanda – thanks!

NMOS – bacon jam??? Will most certainly be looking into this!!

Kate – yes, Neil deserves accolades for his pancetta!