Is it mashed potatoes…?

Nope – inspired by this wonderful cheddar cauliflower from our organic box delivery last week (picture not digitally enhanced)

and a recipe from The Duo Dishes, I served this up to Neil the other night. I used some fresh rosemary from our garden and the tomme cheese I made last week’s Keep it Local Challenge meal with. Neil doesn’t like cauliflower and he said this was really good, so I consider this a success! Thanks Duo Dishes for the inspiration!

Mashed cheddar cauliflower
– Serves 2

1 small head cheddar cauliflower, stalk removed and florets separated
about 2 ounces tomme cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
kosher salt and pepper to taste

Cook cauliflower florets in boiling water until tender to the touch of a fork. Cool slightly and mash with a fork or potato masher. Add butter and rosemary. Whilst mash is still warm, add in the grated cheese and salt/pepper.

Enjoy!

20 Responses to Is it mashed potatoes…?

1. Peggy September 24, 2009 at 10:52 #

yum, sounds delicious! the cauliflower looks beautiful!

2. eatlivetravelwrite September 24, 2009 at 10:55 #

Peggy – it is lovely isn't it?

3. MaryMoh September 24, 2009 at 10:57 #

looks simple and delicious. A great dish for busy days.

4. April Cavin September 24, 2009 at 12:49 #

What a great idea– so simple and sounds delicious!

5. penny aka jeroxie September 24, 2009 at 12:55 #

Makes a perfect side dish! YUM!

6. Divina Pe September 24, 2009 at 13:03 #

Beautiful. I have to try this soon. Thank you. :)

7. Chow and Chatter September 24, 2009 at 14:03 #

oh what a great idea, love this love your blog as well, thanks so much for visiting mine, will also follow Rebecca

8. Andrea@WellnessNotes September 24, 2009 at 14:40 #

I love mashed cauliflower! I love the color of yours!

9. spamwise September 24, 2009 at 15:47 #

I've never thought of mashing cauliflower. Must try that one of these days.

10. K a b l o o e y September 24, 2009 at 15:56 #

Oh, yum — that looks good. Although when I've tried to mash cauliflower it always seems grainy, not creamy at all. I, however, love cauliflower, after hating it my whole childhood, of course. And when I'm "eating healthily/dieting" I use it like one would tofu, adding it to spicy curries to pad them out, adding to my meager cup of pasta, etc.

11. eatlivetravelwrite September 24, 2009 at 16:01 #

Kablooey – it's the butter and/or cream that makes it creamy! Use more!!!

Spamwise – so simple yet so yummy!

Andrea – thanks – it was gorgeous!

Rebecca – thanks for stopping by!

Divina – you're welcome!

Penny – yes!

April – thanks!

Mary – Absolutely.

12. The Duo Dishes September 24, 2009 at 16:50 #

Glad you enjoyed. This recipe could surely convince any cauliflower hater that they are, in fact, not so bad. Never heard of cheddar cauli before. What a color. Delicious!

13. Table Talk September 24, 2009 at 17:02 #

I blend cauliflower and potatoes in a similar way…a great way to get kids eating a variety of vegetables.

14. eatlivetravelwrite September 24, 2009 at 20:04 #

Duo -thank YOU for the original idea!!!

Table talk – a wonderful way to incorporate more veggies in your kids' diet…

15. Simply Life September 24, 2009 at 23:51 #

Ha, I totally believed it was mashed potatoes at first! Looks great! :)

16. The Chickenless Chick September 25, 2009 at 00:25 #

Kablooey… totally agree about using cauliflower like tofu. I do it with chickpea curry frequently.

Great post, eattravelwrite- what a delicious-looking color!

17. eatlivetravelwrite September 25, 2009 at 00:28 #

Simply life – thanks. Neil thought it was potatoes too!

Chickenless – cauliflower is great to use like tofu, I agree!

18. 5 Star Foodie September 25, 2009 at 02:17 #

I certainly need to try this delicious cauliflower with cheddar!

19. Geoff September 25, 2009 at 05:15 #

Following on Table Talk's comment about getting kids to eat vegies. My young upbringing was in Holland where a favourite dish (if my Dutch holds good) is Stampot. This is fundamentally mashed everything, principally potatoes with veg…
    Anyway, the point is this. My mother, in order to get me to eat, would put a large dollop of stampot (pron stum pot) onto a plate, then hollow out a centre and fill that with gravy…. and then (what a dumbo, I was) tell me to see if I could eat all the mash before the gravy escaped… hmmm. It did work though…
    Great looking dish ELTW…

20. eatlivetravelwrite September 25, 2009 at 11:00 #

5 Star – you DO need to try this – it can be made in around 10 minutes!

Geoff (dad) – "eat all the mah before the gravy escaped"!!! Uh, DUH!!! Well the addition of the cheese made Neil eat all his "mash"!!