Adelaide Central Market #4

Today’s destination: Adelaide Central Market
Today’s theme: Meats and smallgoods

(sounds so appetising…. not!!)

Ok I hear you – what the heck is fritz???

Aaah – fritz – the stuff of my childhood – fritz and sauce (ketchup) sandwiches on thick white bread with butter…. Mmmm.

You can read more about fritz here.

Below are some more unusual offerings:

Look at this beautiful lamb:

Made me think of the BLT challenge...

and

6 Responses to Adelaide Central Market #4

1. Martha July 16, 2009 at 23:53 #

We've turned a little bit vegetarian (if that's possible), but it's neat to see the Australian meats.

2. The Best Family July 17, 2009 at 02:00 #

very interesting, especially the more exotic cuts!

3. Steve Best July 17, 2009 at 04:33 #

Okay, this looks very interesting. I have to say I would not mind trying the kangaroo, and the lamb looks very nice, even in its shiny plastic packaging (much better than lamb ever looks in the states). But, I have to say, the "bum burner" and the "bung fritz" seem a little disturbing, if for no other reason than their name. The latter looks like the equivalent to Italian mortadella or American bologna. But it's just that name… bung fritz… It sounds somewhere between a little gross and a little naughty.

4. Neil C. Phillips July 18, 2009 at 14:19 #

Steve, I was thinking it was a slightly slur-reference to the Germans, ex Gallipoli. Fritz has to be thick and lacking in…blah blah blah.

But certainly looks revolting. Faux meat. I mean, if we're going to eat a dead animal, I want it to obviously BE an animal: not some concocted amalgam of hooves and cartilidge and gristle and bits.

I should add, same theory applies to veggies!

It's soon time to hang George, so I'll have to snap pics before catching my flight: though thigns are looking a bit dubious at the moment.

5. Conor August 21, 2009 at 02:22 #

ahaha fritz! We call it polony in WA, and I think they call it devon in the east? Anyway, I'm sure we all grew up having it in sandwiches with tomato sauce. Oh how that thought grosses me out now, although I do still have quite fond memories of frying up thick slices of the polony you buy in a little tube, to have in a fry up breaky. You had to cut a little nick in it to accommodate the growth spurt it had when fried!

6. eatlivetravelwrite August 22, 2009 at 16:21 #

Now you see we never fried it up in Adelaide… Sacrilege!!

and yes, its called Devon in NSW.

I can't believe I didn't taste any when I was there…. (too busy taking pictures!)