I *heart* macarons!

Not macaroons, the coconut flavoured North American imposter with a deceptively similar name. No, macarons.

These:

The ones above were actually brought back from Laudrée in Paris by a parent at my school who knows and understands about my macaron addiction. This same parent gave me a gift certificate and three sample macarons from Chabichou in Toronto which I m saving for a rainy day…. They sell cheese as well…. Mmmmm.

(Side note re: Laudrée – Neil and I will SO be going to Laudrée le bar this Christmas.)

In looking through my photos from the previous summers, I found A LOT of photos of macarons… Here are a few:

This past March, I attempted to make them. I knew it wouldn’t be easy – even David Lebovitz had trouble… With my friend Cathy, we just decided that we would go for it. And I think we got lucky:

Certainly not perfect but a damn good first try…

A week later, I tried again:

Ahem….

Most definitely a challenge I have set for myself this summer. Unfortunately looks like time won’t permit them to be attempted until August. Unless my mum would be willing to give up her kitchen for a few hours when I am in Sydney….

9 Responses to I *heart* macarons!

1. Miriam/The winter guest June 24, 2009 at 11:47 #

I've only tried once… and it was even more disastrous than your second time! But I'm willing to do it again… some time, when I gather the courage to… :-)

2. http://fresheats.blogspot.com/ June 24, 2009 at 13:46 #

I too love macarons. I still dream of Pierre Herme's macarons in Paris. Have never made them myself – good for you for trying!

3. Steve Best June 25, 2009 at 11:00 #

I have to say they ones you made at our house in Michigan were quite nice. I know you were a bit more critical of them, but I thought they were quite nice.
    I also have to say, that while they are not the originals, I am a fan of the coconut macaroons as one of my top five Christmas cookies.

4. French Cooking for Dummies June 26, 2009 at 20:47 #

Your macarons look fantastic, I'm jealous ;-)

5. Michelle June 30, 2009 at 01:34 #

Yours look great!! I will definitely be trying mine again soon too!

6. Style and Fashion July 22, 2009 at 13:17 #

I love macarons too but have never tried to make them. I know 2 great places in Toronto to buy them. Maracos in Yorkville and Petite Thuet on Yonge and King. I have pics of the macarons.

7. mohamed kleilat September 26, 2010 at 20:26 #

hi ,can you send me the recipes for the macaroon

8. Zina August 19, 2012 at 13:41 #

Hi Mardi! Thank u for this post! I’ve made macarons once with Stella’s recipe and I could’ve cried bc I was so amazed at how great they turned out after reading so many discouraging posts/tutorials on them. I too suffered from hollow shells so I can’t wait to try your adjustments. Thank you! I’ll be sure to come back and rate the recipe as well!

I read in another post of yours that u used liquid whites (straight from the fridge) with excellent results. Is there a particular reason why this wouldn’t be your preferred method/ingredient? Will I be able to use this recipe with the liquid whites as the only adjustment?

• Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) August 21, 2012 at 15:02 #

I have only used liquid whites once with excellent results so I wouldn’t recommend that. You can certainly try but I can’t say I have had a lot of success with it, unless it’s professional baking whites.